Favorite deerstand?

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
What’s you favorite type and brand of deer stand for woods?

I hunt central and northeastern MN and that’s primarily how you hunt.

I typically use ladder stands.

Attachments

• 69116747173__C46802AD-8017-4A3C-9964-0C1C0BBA10EE.jpeg
    69116747173__C46802AD-8017-4A3C-9964-0C1C0BBA10EE.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I would use a climber with all of those straight looking hardwoods or consider saddle hunting if you want to be one of the cool kids.
I’m not cool enough to use a nut strangler. 🤣 how cold do you hunt a climber. A lot of time I’m hunting 0-30 degree weather and found I get so sweated up using a climber that I freeze out in no time.

I’m not cool enough to use a nut strangler. 🤣 how cold do you hunt a climber. A lot of time I’m hunting 0-30 degree weather and found I get so sweated up using a climber that I freeze out in no time.
Lol not that cold! Nut strangler keeps me warm.

Climber's have been used in Alabama and South Carolina, so nothing comparable. If it's that cold, I'd find it hard to believe you'd get too sweaty taking your time up the tree. Really, it just depends on how high you want to go.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Lol not that cold! Nut strangler keeps me warm.

Climber's have been used in Alabama and South Carolina, so nothing comparable. If it's that cold, I'd find it hard to believe you'd get too sweaty taking your time up the tree. Really, it just depends on how high you want to go.
Well at these temps you got to dress warm to sit for hours. I’ve tried striping down before the climb and dressing again once up the tree. Kinda sketchy.

fatlander

WKR
XOP vanish evolution snd 4 lonwolf custom gear mini steps with aiders and amsteel daisy chains. Have yet to meet a tree I can’t get in. It’s not summit comfortable, but I’m not tree hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
lwcg .5, older lw assault, and a diy saddle, I have sat in them all in temps down to -20F or colder with high winds too. prefer not to though.

WCB

WKR
Millennium stands...most comfortable seats out there. M150 Monster for more permanent (portable) set up and late season, M100U Ultralight for temporary permanent setups, and M7 Microlite for mobile mobile. Also have 2 Lone Wolf Alpha II stands. I like the platform better than the Millenniums for quietness.

I have 3 or 4 kinds of stick/ladders depending if I am being mobile mobile or stand is going to be set out for the year.

I hate ladder stands. Always seem to be too loud.

On private ground nothing beats a good ole box blind with a heater. I am wet and cold and uncomfortable enough on my backpack hunts and freeze in a ground blind late season ND archery enough that unless I am still hunting public during MN Muzzleloader season, I like to crank up the heat in the box blind or permanent blind we have built in trees and enjoy the 9 days of MN gun season or the couple time I sit with the smoke pole.

If your not lugging it then get a big comfortable climber you can sit in a long time.
I have two Summit Titans. Easy to move around on a new property. I’m a big boy.
6’1’ 300 plus. I feel safe in my Titans and can sit for a long time. I can stand up safety and adjust my junk without feeling risky. I can drive my SxS up to the tree but if I had to carry it a few hundred yards I wouldnt kill me. But they are heavy.
I bought my first Titan with the idea I would use to locate good spots then put up ladder stands. That was five years ago and I still got a nice ladder stand in the box in the warehouse. The Titan was so comfortable I bought another.

Zdub02

WKR
If you have access to private and can pre hang stands any will work but get one with a nice thick seat like a muddy boss xl. If you're trying to be mobile a climber is great - I love my summit open shot.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Well at these temps you got to dress warm to sit for hours. I’ve tried striping down before the climb and dressing again once up the tree. Kinda sketchy.
What was sketchy about it? I don’t normally mess with bottom layers once I get up the tree, I just go slow (normally using climbing sticks though) so I don’t start sweating. Add top layers once I get to height and start cooling down.

If it’s cold enough to have thick bottoms on (bibs or similar) I usually carry them in and put them on at the base of the tree. Unzip down the legs as far as I can to keep heat from building up.

Walk in regardless of temp I usually only have a light base layer on top, MAYBE a mid layer if it’s super cold.

When I first started hunting I’d get fully dressed in the garage before I walked out, looked like a 12 year old camo Michelin man. Now I don’t get fully dressed until I’m in the tree and it’s the single biggest factor in being able to stay warm since I’m not soaking through layers and socks on the walk in and the climb.

SloppyJ

WKR
I'd go with one of the larger summits for a climber or a Millennium for a hang on. Saddles are gay.

As for the cold, I always climb up in my base layers, I put a hook in a tree if there already isn't one to hang my bag and weapon from, and then I pull my bag/weapon up to me. I hang it all on the tree and then get dressed. Typically all I'm putting on at this point is my fanatic set which has the harness pass through so it's no problem. The only issue I ever have is getting too comfy up there and nodding off before I hear anything and my heart rate gets going.

Climbing up without your outer layers works really well because if you're hot, you can take a breather and cool off before you put everything on.

bz_711

WKR
On public land or when I need to ambush a new area - my summit climber is my favorite and most comfortable...all day sits are easy.

For our 2 small properties (and when hunting with kids/family) you can't beat the ease and safety of metal ladder stands...sure is nice to just slip into a stand with nothing but bow and pack and climb up quietly.

I get nervous just thinking about all the screw in steps and strap on stands I used in my younger days...some of those were just an accident waiting to happen.

On my private lease my favorite stands are my enclosed shooting houses, that are insulated and have a heater!!!

When running and gunning on public it’s my Summit climber.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Millennium Ladder Stands! Most comfortable stand out there. I really like the L220. It's expensive but I can bring whatever gear I need and comfortably sit all day. I can even stretch out a bit if need be. With that being said the Single Ladder stands are really comfortable also.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
1.5 wides. Don't care if they tilt up or not. Adjustable shooting rail if possible. Foot rest required. Price! :) I have two Muddy stands that are the most comfortable I can imagine. A couple single and one double Big Game... not comfortable but tolerable and were cheap pre-2020. I tend to save up Bass Pro points and wait for a sale. Right now the property is pretty much covered but one Big Game stand is falling apart and needs to be replaced.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I use the big game ones. Had good luck with em so far and they hold pretty well. I hunt ladders when I do due to my fear of heights but those ladder stands help subdue the fear a bit.