Favorite Blaze Orange Vest

OP
S

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
Pheasant hunting vests are common where I'm from where extra orange is needed. Bonus is the pouch for the birds are generally waterproof and can hold a game bag full of backstraps and neck meat if you have to pack out.
I like that style vest, but I'm unsure if it would meet the 400 sq inch requirement. I'll have to research this one more.

OP
S

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I'll start researching.

Lots of good recommendations here, thanks guys.

Many years ago I got a Cabela vest that has worn well. Not only does it have pockets in the front but has pouches on the inside, zip in storage in the back with a flap pouch over that.

It was the last they had at the time and haven't seen anything like it since. It allowed me to elimonate my fanny pack and limit some of the storage in my pods off my handgun belt.

They may not exist anymore since everything I find that I like is usually elimonated within a year. That includes tv, food, boots, etc.
You mean one of these! Cabelas guide vest.
1b2248a1256f441aab7c40573c501da2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Used to but then they started putting reflective tape and made them out of nylon. At that time my engineers vest wore out and I had to find a differant source for hunting. I have been to put a new vest in my dog's bed for for a few months to take the shine off of it.

Solheim

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with Jake a lot more to choose from with upland bird hunting vest most of mine Ive found at fleet supply.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Cabela's vest for quite some time but have been looking at one from Eberlestock for a light weight option.

I'm considering the purchase of a new blaze orange vest. According to my state's regulations, I need a minimum of 400 square inches. I'd prefer something with numerous pockets and utilitarian as possible.

What's your favorite blaze orange vest or recommendation?

I use either the cheap mesh variety from sporting good stores or the newly released KUIU.
Cheap mesh let your nice clothes work like they are designed, the KUIU is pretty stretchy and I can wear over just a base or over a 10 oz down fill puffy.
Really none of the vests meet the 400 inch requirement and when you put a pack on you loose a bunch of visibility anyway. I add an extra vest clipped onto the back of my pack. It would take a real irritated Worden to write me a ticket for orange if I’m wearing a vest and have one on the back of my pack.

Wright406

WKR
I was fortunate enough to test the prototype of the Kuiu Precision Hunter vest as well as provide the photographs for the website. The vest worked well. Minimalistic but has some features. I do wish the zipper went higher but I can alter that myself

Attachments

• 6V4A1130 (1).jpg
    6V4A1130 (1).jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 6V4A1409 (1).jpg
    6V4A1409 (1).jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 49

Mosby

WKR
I prefer a vest with several pockets so I use the Primos vest. I cut off some stuff like the liner to lighten it up.
1675212093360.png

taskswap

WKR
OK this is sort of a crazy item for this list but hear me out.

This is the "Primos Gunhunter's Vest" which I got because I thought I would like its pockets. It's absolutely ridiculous. I think the vest weighed in at 3lbs when I first got it, and it has all these stupid, stupid features like places to put your trekking poles (which are 100% of the time blocked by even the smallest pack you might wear) or a fold out waterproof butt protector. It's literally insane. I almost returned it the day I got it.

But...

I actually liked the size and shape of the vest and it did have some nice features. So I grabbed a stitch-ripper and just went to town on it, removing stuff I wasn't going to use. And it's crazy, I think I took almost a pound of "stuff" off it ands ended up with a vest I love.

The listing doesn't sell it very well but this vest is nicely lined with a padded shoulder area, thin enough not to impact your point of aim but thick enough to add "a little bit" of cushion to your shots. The pockets are nicely sized and there are a couple of small ones bottom-center that are out of the way of a bino harness or pack belt and perfect for chapstick or other small items. The pockets are large and easily accessible, but still secure.

It's not for everyone. But I'd maybe give it a look...

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
This probably isn't a popular opinion, but why spend a bunch of money on orange clothing? Concentrate on buying good clothes that work for multiple occasions, and throw some cheap orange over the top?

Every year I seem to end up with more cheap orange gear from various places, most of the time for free. I generally cut up a few pieces to wear over my other gear.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Kings vest is nice, has three zippered pockets

Is the face of that fuzzy fleece like or nylon?

taskswap

WKR
This probably isn't a popular opinion, but why spend a bunch of money on orange clothing? Concentrate on buying good clothes that work for multiple occasions, and throw some cheap orange over the top?
Because the top layer is the only one where the pockets are useable. I wouldn't spend hundreds here, but if I wanted pockets at all, and it's a season/state that requires orange, this is where they have to go. I have plenty of sets of cheap Cabela's andMurdoch's "orange" that are just a thin vest and they're fine but do literally nothing over than comply with the law...

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Because the top layer is the only one where the pockets are useable. I wouldn't spend hundreds here, but if I wanted pockets at all, and it's a season/state that requires orange, this is where they have to go. I have plenty of sets of cheap Cabela's andMurdoch's "orange" that are just a thin vest and they're fine but do literally nothing over than comply with the law...
Makes Sense. I guess I don't really use the pockets on my outer layer too much, especially when it's a hunt that involves a lot of walking and stopping where I need to add or remove layers. Anything I need handy goes in my backpack hip pouch or bino harness, that way it's always in the same place no matter what I'm wearing.