Favorite Blaze Orange Vest

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering the purchase of a new blaze orange vest. According to my state's regulations, I need a minimum of 400 square inches. I'd prefer something with numerous pockets and utilitarian as possible.

What's your favorite blaze orange vest or recommendation?

Dsnow9

FNG
I second the Sitka ballistic vest but installed a zipper instead of the little latch that comes with it

I caught the KUIU Guide series vest at a really good sale price and got one in blaze orange... Being already familar with the guide jacket/vest I knew what to expect... I've found that it works great.. I normally wear a large, but get XL in KUIU to get a good fit for layering.. I order the orange in XXl to gurantee it will work over anything I want to wear under it.. So far its been great.. The pockets are there and where I need them, even if I have a pack on.. Having the KUIU DWR doesn't hurt either..

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have an orange Kuiu Peloton vest and really like it. But, the orange doesn't seem bright enough to be considered "blaze orange." Has anyone ran into an issue with a game warden with it?

Reactions: wyo
I can’t speak to the Peleton, but the Guide jacket that I use is super orange/blaze. In fact my hunting buddy swears that he spotttd me in photos shot from the international space station.

I caught the KUIU Guide series vest at a really good sale price and got one in blaze orange... Being already familar with the guide jacket/vest I knew what to expect... I've found that it works great.. I normally wear a large, but get XL in KUIU to get a good fit for layering.. I order the orange in XXl to gurantee it will work over anything I want to wear under it.. So far its been great.. The pockets are there and where I need them, even if I have a pack on.. Having the KUIU DWR doesn't hurt either..
Ive got a couple in other colors but thought about picking up one for a rifle hunt next year (normally 100% bowhunter) I'll probably do oversize as well.

Many years ago I got a Cabela vest that has worn well. Not only does it have pockets in the front but has pouches on the inside, zip in storage in the back with a flap pouch over that.

It was the last they had at the time and haven't seen anything like it since. It allowed me to elimonate my fanny pack and limit some of the storage in my pods off my handgun belt.

They may not exist anymore since everything I find that I like is usually elimonated within a year. That includes tv, food, boots, etc.

Bucsfan69

FNG
I have a Kryptek Vesuvius and really like the breakup pattern on it, but pockets are just ok.
It’s soft and quiet, not MUCH of an insulating layer. Durability is ok also ( I have pulls and piles in it) but I’m a hard use guy.
Does anyone know if there are any vests with magnetic pocket closures? That interests me

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
I like the mesh special! That probably doesn’t help you much. If you like the old vest I would just get someone to put a new zipper in it.

Kurts86

WKR
I like the Sitka ballistic vest in general. It’s sized, form fitting and well thought out. It’s usable in warm weather.

Last year I ran the Sitka Stratus jacket in blaze during cold weather and I really liked having 1 less layer to take off and on. I always resisted blaze outwear because it’s the uniform of 2 day per gun deer hunters but it makes a lot of sense to not have a vest just for color.

I like the Sitka ballistic vest in general. It’s sized, form fitting and well thought out. It’s usable in warm weather.

Last year I ran the Sitka Stratus jacket in blaze during cold weather and I really liked having 1 less layer to take off and on. I always resisted blaze outwear because it’s the uniform of 2 day per gun deer hunters but it makes a lot of sense to not have a vest just for color.

I have the Sitka ballistic vest and the Stratus Jacket in orange. I love both of them and wear whichever one best handles the weather conditions.

rayporter

WKR
check out the forrestry vest, it has large inside pockets and a back pocket with flap.
Many years ago I got a Cabela vest that has worn well. Not only does it have pockets in the front but has pouches on the inside, zip in storage in the back with a flap pouch over that.

It was the last they had at the time and haven't seen anything like it since. It allowed me to elimonate my fanny pack and limit some of the storage in my pods off my handgun belt.

They may not exist anymore since everything I find that I like is usually elimonated within a year. That includes tv, food, boots, etc.

jake0621

FNG
Pheasant hunting vests are common where I'm from where extra orange is needed. Bonus is the pouch for the birds are generally waterproof and can hold a game bag full of backstraps and neck meat if you have to pack out.