Favorite/Beloved Bird Knives

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping it will turn up one day among my father's things but I had an Italian made locking folder that was a knock off of the Grohmann number 2 in dimensions at least. Bought for under 10 dollars at a flea market from a guy with a case of them. Should have bought them all if I'd known how good the blade steel was. Dad shook his head when I bought it but after we both used it for a couple deer and lot of small game and fish I would often catch him pocketing it and he still mentions we should have bought them all. Been missing for about 7 years now neither of us have seen it.

Not overly fussy though as long as it's sharp. Have to admit the scalpel blades are growing on me since I got one as a gift.

Last edited:
Standard Havalon Piranta is all I use for butchering. Nothing works as well for getting the breast separated from the wishbone or popping the legs out of the pelvis, imho.
We almost never get a bird (including ducks) up here with any fat on it, so 99.9% of birds get breasted out.

I use Gerior shears for detaching wings and head to send in the state small game biologist.
I also use a small Havalon Piranta.
I also always wear a Rapala fillet glove to prevent any sharp knife cuts to my hand.

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
6CC8EA26-E9A9-465D-B564-99EA27973F50.jpeg

This is where I’m at now. Dave Ferry from Horsewright is building me a knife but that’ll be the last one for a while.

I happen to really enjoy sharpening and regular maintenance on knives and it has been a fun hobby.

H

HappyHuntr

Bubba fillet knife set and a made in finland Maartinni skinning knife does it for all my bird needs. A9148130-2C4F-45B1-B90E-F62B30FC3265.jpeg This is the skinning knife

DanimalW

WKR
Most versatile knife out there those fillet knifes. Highly recommend swapping the rapala for bubbas. Buy once cry once is my motto
The rapala ones aren’t bad if you keep them sharp, but I’ll give the bubba a try when it’s time for a new one.

H

HappyHuntr

The rapala ones aren’t bad if you keep them sharp, but I’ll give the bubba a try when it’s time for a new one.
Yeah I love them. All the other sucked for me but glad u found an affordable option!

ianpadron

WKR
I think bird/trout knives are the coolest class of knives.

Handy, wicked sharp, classy AF.

My favorite is the Rough Pup from Upland Knife Company built in the Bitterroot Valley of MT by Michael Thompson. Cool dude, with cool dogs, living in a cool state, building incredible knives.

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
@ianpadron

I happen to have a Sharp Pup from Mike! 2nd one down on the left in my picture. Awesome knife!

SBFD63

FNG
I use one of several trapper pocket knives. It doesn't take much.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk