Favorite/Beloved Bird Knives

dkell

FNG
After using a shrade old timer for years I have recently been taking a bit of a dive on knives, production, semi-production, and custom. Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite knives for handling upland birds? Favorite steel/blade shape?

Thanks gents!

CCH

WKR
My dad and his pals always carried Camillus bird knives with the gut hook that they put to good use. I don’t bird hunt much now, but have a very similar pattern Buck that does the same thing. My Gerber Bird & Trout is my long time general small game knife.

2ski

WKR
I had this Remington set that had a knife, a separate gut hook, and s pair of shears. I lost the shears so I bought a Gerber set of shears a year ago.

How do you use a gut hook on birds? I pretty much just use shears and maybe a knife for a cut or two, literally.

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
I don't use a gut hook I'll just open up below the breastbone and pull it out with my fingers. I always have hand sanitizer in my vest anyways.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Standard Havalon Piranta is all I use for butchering. Nothing works as well for getting the breast separated from the wishbone or popping the legs out of the pelvis, imho.
We almost never get a bird (including ducks) up here with any fat on it, so 99.9% of birds get breasted out.

I use Gerior shears for detaching wings and head to send in the state small game biologist.

TheGDog

WKR
For birds I like to fall back to the Havalon scalpel. OR the blade that comes on the Leatherman Skeletool. Although the Argali Carbon blade worked well with birds too when I tested it.

I kinda like just using the Skeletool for small game because with the pliers part I can cut/snap off the forelimbs of a Rabbit quickly, then just peel off the skin.

Three blade old timer pocket knife. My backup for big game and bird knife. In the late 70s and early 80s, it skinned and fleshed a lot of beaver, cats and coyotes. Keep life simple!

Jimss

WKR
For skinning birds for life-sized mounts it's tough to beat Outdoor Edge replacement blade knives.

IMG_3587.JPEG

IMG_3798_zpsc3udargy.jpg

IMG_3779_zpseb3c8060.jpg

IMG_3622_zpscd82e484.jpg

OP
dkell

dkell

FNG
I found the hogue, what are the names/model of the other ones? Thanks for putting pictures up.

WCB

WKR
The cheapest 4" fillet knife I can find basically. A pair of shears for when I need to transport them or break them down more for I.D. If there is one place to put almost zero dollars into equipment it would be a knife specifically for small game.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Argali carbon has worked very well for me from partridge to turkeys.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I use a pair of gerber game shears most of the time but have enjoyed the benchmade flyway the little I've used it so far.