Favorite Backcountry Gear 2021

1: SLC 10x42 grabbed a pair when I found out they discontinued them
2: Darn tough socks
3: peloton 240 & Attack pants
4: seak set for rain and cold

Also put a lot of camo in a duffel to give to friends. Either to big now or just don’t use. Benefit of loosing weight!

Kifaru reckoning was my biggest and best new gear change this year. Got it later in the season but it Worked out great for a 4 day trip and for several day trips and pack a crazy amount of elk weight.

Kuiu zip off thermals were awesome, very convenient, plenty warm but didn’t feel the need to take them off immediately when it warmed up.

Switched to smart water bottles from nalgene. They fit better in the side pockets of the reckoning if I need to take a couple extra, screw right into several different filters, lighter, and are plenty durable.

Outdoor edge swing blade, is my new go to knife. The skinning blade is like unzipping the hide without cutting meat or having to use your finger as a guide and is way faster. The disposable blades are crazy sharp and very durable. I prefer the size of the blade to the havalon which was a huge difference. One blade easily broke down a cow elk with no noticeable dulling.

Garmin in reach was also new to me this year. Aside from the obvious peace of mind in the backcountry, it was nice to send a text to my wife once in awhile. Another thing I found it very useful for was getting my brother to drop me and a buddy off at a trailhead way outside of cell service for a multi day hunt and not have to leave one of our trucks at the trailhead and worry about it. We were able to let him know when we were heading back out and update him on when to meet us to be picked up.

The kifaru gun bearer I got last year, but dammit it’s so good. Once I got it adjusted in the perfect spot it’s been awesome.

TX_Diver

WKR
^^^
I love the swingblaze too.

Didn't change much this year but liked the following.

Marsupial Bear Spray Holster mounted to the bottom of my bino pouch.

Earthmate app - Previously I typed messages on the inreach. The earthmate app saved me hours of messaging. Can't believe I didn't download it before even though a buddy told me too!

Gaiters - I won't go without them again if there's any kind of snow on the ground or moisture forecast. Mine are Kryptek but there are lots of good options out there.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Peak ReFuel Freeze Dried meals. A little more than MH, but some are close to restaurant tasty, IMHO.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
What are your favorite peak refuels?
Chix Pesto, Homestyle Chix, Chix Alfredo.

A couple of pointers. You need to let them rehydrate longer than MH. But they take less water. I always wrap a puffy around them while I do other camp tasks. Beef Marinara and Chile Mac are good also (And I won't burn a hole in my underwear after eating the Chile Mac. Unlike MH)

Although still tasty, I would give the nod to MH on Stroganoff and Sweet n Sour Pork.

CCH

WKR
Kodiak Blacktail was the big hunt this year, so that's where this stuff got tested. Everything got a pretty solid work out in a relatively short time.

New:
  • Crispi Nevadas: Loved these. Worked great with less break in than anticipated. Not super warm at ten degrees, but otherwise fantastic.
  • Smartwool Interweave Merino Base Layer: Saw these at REI, but balked at cost. Saw them on Sierra Trading Post at half the price and figured they were worth a shot. These are a blend, so more durable than typical Smartwool. Wore them for five days with no odor and they dried much quicker than other merino I've worn.
  • Leica 2400 Rangefinder: I upgraded from my old Leupold RX-1000i. Wow, what a difference. If you don't need all the bells and whistles of bluetooth and the like, this a super quick, accurate rangefinder with great optics at a not horrible price.
Tried and True:
  • Sitka Timberline Pants: Just love these for colder weather. Never even thought of switching to my back ups.
  • Kuiu Teton (cheap Kenai) Jacket: This is a level of insulation that worked while moving in cold weather. It wasn't really enough in that weather (cold and windy) for long stationary glassing, but I wore it pretty much the entire time. I did manage to rip it with a shooting stick attachment on my rifle, so it is a little less pretty with Tenacious Tape repair.

1) Spot Hogg Triple Stack
2) Exo K2 3500
3) Anker power bank
4) Peak Refuel Biscuits & Gravy
5) Crispi Valdres Plus GTX (100x better than my old Crispi summit GTX)
6) Kuiu Pro Merino zip-off Bottoms
7) FL UMCOMPAGRE

I posted this thread last year and enjoyed all of the responses. Wanted to throw it out there again and encourage everyone else to post their favorite gear they actually used from this past year. It can be new to you, or just something you really liked that stood out, but I've focused on gear new to me. Last year I didn't include any of our gear on principle (seemed too self-indulgent), but fair warning that I am including our products this year (And there are some of our own prototype products I used this season I can't divulge just yet that would have made the list....ahem).

1. Schnees Beartooth Boots--I used the insulated and non-sinsulated from August through November and have a few hundred miles on them in a wide variety of terrain and hunts in several states and loved them.
2. Argali Kodiak Belt--this may be unfair since this is our product, but I really did love this thing.
3. Vortex Razor 4.5-22x50 FFP--this new scope was impressive optical quality, turrett and magnification for the weight.
4. First Lite Foundry Corrugate and Catalyst Foundry Pants--The Foundry pant line is impressive and would recommend to anyone.
5. Crocs. Yes. I was a hater until this year when I actually used them. Made basecamp life incredible, and getting in and out of the tent less annoying.
6. Day Six Arrows and broadheads. I put this one down last year, but after killing a few more animals with them, they are even more impressive.
7. Exo Pack. Used one throughought my season and it worked flawlessly.
8. Perfect Bars. These bars are amazing. I ate them for breakfast on a late season backpack hunt instead of a dehydrated meal and will do that from now on to save a little weight and space without sacrificing calories.
1) REI Active Pursuits Tech Pants - I’ve worn these for everything from climbing and running to using them as a baselayer and sweats. Great all around pant.

2) Arc’Teryx LEAF Atom LT - my go-to lightweight synthetic insulator. I especially like how tight the hood is and the adjustment really cinches it down. Great fit and laid out well to have access to belt and pockets if you’re wearing a harness. Between the hem and the tight cuffs and the hood you can get a complete seal so it’s a lot warmer than you’d expect for the insulation weight.

3) Vasque Breeze LT GTX - I only just got these for Christmas (I know, not enough time to really put them through their paces) but I can already tell they’re a really solid boot for the money. They have a super stout shank and heel counter so you get a lot of stability, and the lug pattern on the vibram sole is a good balance between aggressive without being carrying too much mud or snow. Plus they look super slick. I am looking forward to using them for lightweight 3-season hikers.

I got quite a few new things his year, but here are the stand outs:

Badlands Bino XR Binocular Case: love the setup with magnet enclosures for both binos and rangefinder. Also the Bino flap opens outward instead of towards me. And the pouch for the rangefinder acts as a shelf. The back pocket is good for holding pistol or phone too.

Kryptek Takur waterproof Jacket: heard someone say this was the most waterproof jacket they every had and it lived up to that for me as well. Also has all the right features to make it comfortable and functional.

Wiser Quik Stiks: these allow your trekking poles to attach to each other to create a bipod for your rifle or optics. Add their third leg and you create a tripod out of your poles. Takes some getting use to but I love skipping carrying a tripod, especially when a lot of times I only even need a monopod to fit my needs.

Nikon Prostaff 3s: nothing fancy, but as good optic quality as my vortex diamondback but lighter. Gifted the diamondbacks in favor of these.

The Pocket Rocked Deluxe and Snow peak titanium cup is an elite combo for backpack hunting.

Peak Refuels are by far the best Freeze Dried food I've ever had. I describe Mountain House as Mcdonald's in a bag with the stomach issues to go with it. I felt great living on Peaks throughout my hunting season this year.

Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking poles are comfortable and durable in sheep country. These are the best trekking poles i've ever owned.

Attachments

• PR jpeg.jpg
    PR jpeg.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 80

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Wiser quick sticks..... amazing utility and I leave the bipod at home now.

Hikeventure pillow. Lots of volume and it attaches to the pad with a strap so it doesn't go on a walk-about at night. I LOVE IT... I bought my wife one and she LOVES it. Gear of the year... I sleep and wake up with a crickless neck!

Outdoorsman spotting scope heads.... they are all great. Very light but very usable and efficient.

New Kuiu backpack harness.... I know people poo=poo this pack system but I love the organization and the new harness has me wearing it again. Comfortable until it gets really-really heavy and by then they all seem to suck.

Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2. If it snows I am still ok and it's just light enough to make the cut. The poor old Hilleberg now stays at home

Optimus Vega.... tested it to -30C. Turn the cannister upside down and it becomes a liquid fuel wonder. Use it September-October

Matty-mc matt face. Cut it to 28-32 inches and it folds as a seat and gives some slide resistance and extra R value under the NEO Air at a very light weight.

SO Silex with Titanium Goat Cylinder stove.... I fit in the middle on the diagonal and my short 5'5" wife can squeeze beside me. Not for every trip but on one October Yukon sheep hunt we set it up in a Spruce thicket and really loved the external heat. We then sallied up to the snowy Alpine with a two man emergency bivy just in case we needed to stay a while. She will come with me again because it was so comfortable.

Gear that hasn't made it yet. My Weatherby Back-Country Ti in 280 AI is certainly light but it won't shoot with my Forbes 24B in 30-06 so I take the 7/8 pound weight penalty and still pack the 06. Might play with the bedding of the Weatherby or do some more load development or re-barrel it with a slightly heavier barrel. It hits the MOA guarantee but only with hand-loads about 150 ft/sec less that what I want. At that level the 06 is at least as good at long range and much better for bear defense.

Gear I might replace: My Leica 65mm Televid is very nice but it's a heavy little spud for a 65mm. It's also a straight spotter and I have learned to appreciate angled more. Looks to me like a Kowa 99 isn't really that much heavier and has over twice the objective area. Or there is the amazing modularity of some of the Swarovski systems. What to do? The Leica is a great unit but I don't like the straight view for a long spotting session..I find it starts to bug my neck and I need the tripod higher and less steady for use.

Last edited:

ISU17

FNG
Initial Ascent IA4K pack - Extremely versatile, love the frame! Used the day pack/Pannier Load Carrier pocket for a mobile saddle hunting setup in WI, and got to use the actual pack on a couple late season Cow elk hunts. Loading carrier worked great; Packed out an entire whitetail buck (quartered) in one trip, as made carrying out the Cow quarters in December a breeze.

BlackOvis Keele Merino Hoodie - Super comfortable, great mid-layer, love the thumb loops.

RAB Electron Pro Down Jacket
First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Pants - The RAB jacket and FL pants made staying warm on those winter hunts easy.

Deadfall

WKR
Buck folding fillet knife. Sturdy, takes a sharpening good, holds a edge nice. Makes deboning in field pretty clean.

Tick

WKR
EB stretch belt - Read about it here. Comfortable and it worked great.

EE quilt - Saved ounces on Sep hunts. Went with synthetic to layer on a 15* down bag during cold late season.