Favorite Backcountry Gear 2021

ENO hammock underquilt. I used it in a few Scout campouts and backpacking trip in the cold. I was very impressed with how warm it kept me inside my cocoon.

Clarktar

WKR
Liners from seek outside for my 12 man.

PVC cap over tipi center pole with holes drilled in for wire hooks. Made drying gear much more efficient.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MNWILD15

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded my tripod head this last season to a Sirui VA-5. Before was just using the stock pan head that came on my vortex tripod. Makes glassing much easier being able to pan and tilt the head separately.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
1) El Coyote Custom XX-Wide/Long Quilt. New to quilts, Brian walked me through the process and to say the least… I’ve never slept so good in the backcountry!

2) Exped Downmat LW
Coupled with my new quilt… see #1

3) Swarovski 10x42 EL Range w/TA
Upgraded from Razor 12x50s, and no joke, it’s like glassing in 3D! I was hesitant at the price, but definitely my best upgrade for ‘21 season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What season did you use pad and quilt.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Couple things that stood out to me this year:
Replaced a Sawyer Mini + 2L CNOC bag with a 3L Katadyn BeFree Bag & Filter. Significantly faster flow rate with an easier way to hang the bag at camp. Gained like 3oz, but well worth it.

Soto Amicus stove + 750ml Toaks Pot - Can nest the stove and small canister in the pot. Boils water quickly and is a very light combo. Also adding some silicon tubing to the handles of the Toaks pot was a nice touch to avoid burning myself.

First Lite Corrugate Foundry Pants - Game changer with the side zips and waterproof "seat". Being able to vent my legs early in the morning while hiking to a spot was awesome. These will make it out on normal hikes while the weather is still cool.

jd1006

WKR
Wiggies Lamlite Socks. With them and Crispi Idaho’s, I can hunt any season with a pretty light sock setup and have warm feet. No need for insulated boots or heavy leather.

Fjallraven Keb pants. Thoughtfully laid out, love the hook that secures the pants to the boot and eliminates the need for gaiters for most of my hiking/scouting. Got into them for $150 at Moosejaw through Rakuten.

SG Xcurve and Sky 5900 bag. I added a blaze sherman pocket to it (clips right in) and a couple of Kifaru Water Bottle Pockets and a Kifaru Gun Bearer and have a versatile setup due to the Bivy-mode and love the load shelf built into the frame. I tried a lot of frames and packs this year and this was the clear winner for me.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Merino Wool I grew up using wool coats and pants. My father always preached how warm it was when wet and I thought that was the only reason to use it. This past year I discovered merino and its odor free properties and comfort and now use it for hunting and everyday life.

WyoHuntr

FNG
Rainer Knives Fastpak: this dude nailed every aspect of an ultralight fixed blade. Thick enough not be brittle, with well thought out grind and profile. Ergonomics are great, just wish there was some jimping on the spine. Elmax steel holds a damn good edge at a crazy good price.
Argali Kodiak Belt: really just a good belt without the knife sharpening stuff. Low profile does well under a pack belt. I took some knicks out of a hatchet just to test the carbide strip. Buckle sharpener put a good working edge on a buddy's knife.
Benchmade Bugout: great option for the ultralight pocket knife route. Pretty much the same profile as the Altitude. I did the CPM-20CV option, which has proven to hold an edge well. I bought some for my Dad & Brother with orange scales (which definitely look better).
2Toms Sport Shield: great anti-chafe. Like putting a layer of silk on the boys!
Crispi Colorado: a viable lighter weight option for those of us Wide footed folk. Wanted to compare these with my Lowa Tibets, and the were very comparable. Slight edge to the Tibets on side-hilling, but loved the Colorado weight savings.
Screenshot_20220220-033823_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
Kuiu Strongfleece 260 - Super light, warm, durable. Just a great mid layer.

Exo K3 4800 - New pack this season. It is my #1 favorite piece of gear that I own. Love it.

Hillsound BTR - I haven’t used on a hunt yet, but this will be my glassing stool for coues deer this fall. Light, durable and super compact.

onX - I finally subscribed and used for hunts last fall. Replaces Garmin handheld GPS and the mapping software is A+++++.

EE Enigma Quilt - I still love my Nemo Salsa 15° spoon bag, but made the switch to a quilt this year. Only have 6 nights using the quilt but they have been great. Paired with my Xtherm and I am super warm. The EE is so ultralight.

Argali game bags. Didn’t get to use them last year 😢 but I carried them for a lot of miles. I really appreciate how lightweight they are. I don’t know why I carried heavy canvas bags for so long.

OnX on my phone. So much better than the stand alone gps I used to use. Plus one less thing to weigh me down.

Petzl Bindi Headlamp. It’s my backup Headlamp. So small and lightweight. I never carried a backup Headlamp before last season. So much better than fumbling to install fresh batteries in the dark and it weighs the same as 3 AAA lithium.

Benchmade Altitude. No more heavy Rambo knife for me. I always carried a big “bushcraft” type knife “just in case”. Wasted ounces.

Last edited:

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll add mine in

Sirui tripod and VA-5 head- huge improvement for me. I’ve used cheaper tripods/heads for a few years and this thing knocked those out of the park

Argali game bags- love how small these pack up. Barely even know they’re in your pack

Not new but this was the fourth season for my SG 5900 pack. It’s a workhorse, I use it all summer backpacking and all hunting season. It’s by far my most used and favorite piece of gear

1) El Coyote Custom XX-Wide/Long Quilt. New to quilts, Brian walked me through the process and to say the least… I’ve never slept so good in the backcountry!

2) Exped Downmat LW
Coupled with my new quilt… see #1

3) Swarovski 10x42 EL Range w/TA
Upgraded from Razor 12x50s, and no joke, it’s like glassing in 3D! I was hesitant at the price, but definitely my best upgrade for ‘21 season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Down mats are awesome. Good nights sleep and hunt better next day. Worth the weight penalty.