Favorite all around Sitka pant?

ZackP

WKR
Hey all,

Looking for your favorite do it all, Sitka pant.

I currently run KUIU Attacks from August-December. I’m moving trying out different gear constantly.

I am looking for everyone’s favorite do it all pant? Not too thin, not too thick, and something quiet. FWIW I absolutely love SG pants, but they’re too loud.

Currently looking at the Mountain and Timberline. Leaning towards Timberline.

Thoughts?

I have the timberlines and they’re great pants. Super durable. But no way I would want to wear them when it’s warm out. They’re a great colder weather pant. I personally wear cheap Costco Eddie Bauer pants in the early season mostly and the timberlines once it’s cold.

Wapiti151

WKR
Mountain pant. Timberlines are my absolute favorite pant made, but I only really use them from October on. If you have good base layers to add during late season, mountain pant can be used year round in my opinion. Timberlines are definitely more durable though.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Are they loud? I should mention I am moving away from camo patterns for the most part. I currently run a mix of all SG, FL, and KUIU.

Vias is the only pattern I like. I have FL merino base layers. Should I be looking at any of Sitkas other pants?

jbowlbs

FNG
So far I only have experience with the mountain pants but I used them from spring until November in the Pacific Northwest last year and they never let me down. Merino base layer helped for those cold glassing mornings but as soon as the sun came up or I started hiking around they weren’t necessary.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I just realized neither have zippered vents down the legs which honestly are a must have for pants. Looks like they’re both out of the question now.

Wapiti151

WKR
Mountain pants are pretty damn quite, both of them are. I also have SG de havilands and those are MUCH louder than both the timberlines and Mountain. Although the overall design of SG offers some unique benefits. I would compare the thickness of the timberlines to the original dehaviland…but with no venting they can get warm during early seasons.

For an all around pant, you’re looking at the right Sitka pants IMO and can’t go wrong with either. More a matter of how hot your legs get while humping up a hill.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Mountain pants are pretty damn quite, both of them are. I also have SG de havilands and those are MUCH louder than both the timberlines and Mountain. Although the overall design of SG offers some unique benefits. I would compare the thickness of the timberlines to the original dehaviland…but with no venting they can get warm during early seasons.

For an all around pant, you’re looking at the right Sitka pants IMO and can’t go wrong with either. More a matter of how hot your legs get while humping up a hill.

That’s my issue, I’ll crank those vents open pretty regularly even on late season hunts. Some of the terrain I hunt can get brutal, and that air flow helps a ton!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Equinox are the only Sitka pants with hip vents. Sitka keeps refusing to put vents in the mountain and Timberline pants.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Every time I wear my Mountain pants I miss the waterproof knees and seat of my Timberlines. I vote Timberline. They breathe just fine, not like the original 90% pants that needed vents. You can always get extra venting with the fly.

I"m thinking about going back to SG DHL pants. I have only used the Lites but they were damn tough even after going through thick stuff. Also, the large vents are awesome. Some don't like that they do not have mesh in the vent, but I prefer it so you can access, and zip open long johns when you're burning up hill.

The noise thing to me is over blown. Do they see louder than other pants, maybe but i'm not sure there is a big enough difference for actual real-world problems. I though my prana pants were a lot quiter until I compared them side by side. There are plenty of archey only dudes using the SG pants. I have even messaged a couple asking them about the pants loudness. Said its never been a problem getting in close on game.

Also SG redesigned the DHL with a tighter pant opening so there is not as much fabric swishing around.

lintond

WKR
Used the Kuiu Katana pants last year and really like them. I prefer a lighter colder pant vs being over too warm.

Love my timberlines for cooler hunts. I wish Sitka would add hip zips to their pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
Sitka Ascent pants are my go to and have been for many years. I can where therm in warm temps or layer when in drops into the 30's in the mornings. I have the Timberline and they are ok if you like knee pads and kind of water proof butt.

My last pair of mountains got torn badly and I didn’t replace them. I would say they are the best all arpound pant in the Sitka line up but I just prefer attacks more. If Sitka did hip vents, they could probably win me back.

- I have ascents, which are fine for hot weather but I prefer tiburons
- i have a set of apex which are discontinued (I think) but offer a weird but workable combination of warmth and ventilation.
- I have timberlines and they are great for later in the year but a set of kuiu axis for really cold and snowy conditions. The axis are warmer and more weather resistant and also fit my cold weather boots better. The reinforcing patches on the timberlines are great but not super quiet.

sr80

WKR
i used to use sitka pants primarily because of durability and fit, but with no vents ive got rid of them all except the ascent pants which are my early season/summer hiking pant. Only because they are thin enough that they breath really well. Sitka needs to step it up and ad some vents. And also make their waists more low profile, those tabs for the suspenders kill under a pack belt. At least for me and all my buddies. SG pants for me now. I struggled with the legs being more baggy than i like with the SG pants, even the new fit on the DH lites are too baggy up top, so i had them all take in professionally and they fit perfect now.

I have the Mountain and the Timberline pants. I think the only difference in the two is the waterproof knee pads and butt pad on the Timberlines. Both have inner removable knee pads, and suspenders which I really like.
I also have two pair of the Ascents, but they are warm weather pants. I use the Mountain 99% of the time.

Timberlines have been my go to for the last years for late season, did start running stone glaciers and been using those more. Even though they are louder those leg vents are such a nice change.

Hey all,

Looking for your favorite do it all, Sitka pant.

I currently run KUIU Attacks from August-December. I’m moving trying out different gear constantly.

I am looking for everyone’s favorite do it all pant? Not too thin, not too thick, and something quiet. FWIW I absolutely love SG pants, but they’re too loud.

Currently looking at the Mountain and Timberline. Leaning towards Timberline.

Thoughts?
I used to run KUIU and then I switched to Sitka, that's a switch I do not regret. The timberline pants are my go to all around pant. I love the suspenders so you don't have to wear a belt so your waste belt on your pack doesn't rub. I personally take the knee pads out.