F250 Help

Hey guys, any Ford truck mechanics around? I have a 2008 F250 Lariat with 6.4 diesel and recently started getting a trailer brake module fault.. In doing some research several people mentioned replacing the Plug/recepticle out.. I've done that with no improvement... I have a replacement trailer brake module now.. I've looked at every Youtube video that I can find.. I've been able to find descriptions on how to install a new one (simple), but nothing about taking the old one out.. I'd rather not take anything out that doesn't have to come out (don't want to risk creating rattles, etc).. Anyone got any hints on getting this thing out.. Also, I have the bank of 4 aux switches beside the module, just about the cig lighter.. Thanks in advance for any help..

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Can be rotten wiring anywhere between cab and trailer plug. I would take a close look at the (if the truck has it) intermediate harness that goes from frame harness to the trailer plug. Another thing the 6.4 likes is the connectors on the fender liner on the drivers side.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
As a side note the better part of half the new parts it seems are just as bad as the ones needing replaced. Its super cool.

TuckTruck

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve see several trailer brake modules go out on 6.7s, my shop doesn’t work on 6.4s anymore but I think the modules are very similar. Or as @Nbowlin said, the connectors on the fender skirt were problematic.

OP
T
That’s encouraging. I’ve thought about taking it to a dealer, but this ought to be something that I can fix ( I’m pretty handy at fixing things). The fix would probably cost me a new Tikka to get fixed.

TaperPin

WKR
I think Watch Wes Work on YouTube replaced a trailer brake module on a slightly older Ford F-350.

Check your ground and power going into any module you’re thinking of replacing. Many modules have been changed when all they needed was a fuse.

I remember replacing the brake controller on my 05, i bough one on eBay, the guy said he tried replacing his with a new oem one and it didn’t work. I put it my truck and no worky. I unplugged the fuse and replaced it and it started working.