F&*kin Pack Rats!

Yeah… my wife didn’t just laugh at me. She asked where in the hell I thought that contraption up… I said, “my grandpa, go look in the morning.”

He was floating.

I’ve done it a couple times since. Every few years we’ll get one that decides to get in our wood pile

Weldor

WKR
Harbor freight sells a solar panel light, I think it's like 20 leds. I put those out by the barn walls, motion sensor makes them bump up brighter. Been doing it for about 12 years. might get about 3 packs a year now instead of a day. I live right in the middle of the high desert. The snakes help in the summer also, I put everyone I find out in pasture in the barn. except the diamond backs of course.

huntnful

WKR
I looked at those, but not sure if they're big enough? This terrorist I saw this morning looked like Master Splinter from ninja turtles.
The rats I’ve been getting are about as big around as a soda can, but a little longer than a soda can. They’re pretty big traps lol

Sled

WKR
I'm also battling mice at the moment, I've got a feeling that they might trip a baited snap trap before the rat gets a chance at suicide.

That's why you use something shiny. The mice hit peanut butter but not tinfoil. Don't leave it on the edge of a wall or the mice could inadvertently trip it. I trap pack rats every fall. If you have them in spring, they've been there for a while. Their urine will attract the next pack rat once the nest is empty.

manitou1

WKR
Mix flour and Plaster of Paris 50/50. Put it in a small dish or metal jar lid.
They eat it, turns solid in their gut, night-night.

You're welcome...😁

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can tell you what not to use.

Many decades ago I was a lifeguard at Lolo Hot Springs; not sure if they really needed lifeguards, but my buddy and I signed on. Pay sucked, but they had a restaurant (free food) and a cabin where we could stay.

The cabin had a wood ceiling and almost every night you could hear them running across the planked ceiling. My buddy decides to shoot at the noise w/ his .44 mag—not a wise move as I'm sure the round went through the ceiling and out through the roof w/ no harm to the packrat. He did this several times, but at least started giving me warning so I could plug my ears.

At some juncture he got his young brother (about 15 years old) a job in the restaurant; his brother slept on the floor in the "living room"- only two rooms. I wake up one night and see my buddy tiptoeing into the "living room" w/ his .44 in hand- WTF? I can lean out of my bed and see into the "living room"—His brother is fast asleep w/ a packrat sitting on his chest. My first thought is he's going to shoot the thing off his brother's chest, likely miss and kill his brother. He shoos the packrat off his brother's chest and touches one off as it's running across the floor. It's dark and sent a large fireball out; his young brother literally levitated off the floor; my ears were ringing terribly as in the shock of the situation, I forgot to plug my ears—the packrat safely made it to a hole in the wall and was unscathed.

So I'd probably cross that one off the list :ROFLMAO:

If Aaron Von Benedict was around he’d gut shoot that mamajama from 750 yards. Then post a long explanation of why it’s not actually your ROAL. If you get one mounted we want pics.