F&*kin Pack Rats!

KsRancher

WKR
Big rat tap with something shiny like tinfoil on it. My grandma lives in a trailer house and several years ago she calls me and says "someone is stealing all of my silverware". I went over pulled out the bottom drawer and there it all was. It was a pile. Towels, silverware, spatulas and so on. Got a BIG rat trap and put a piece of aluminum foil on it shiny side up. Took 3 days but I caught him.

huntnful

WKR
Dude I just caught a GIANT rat yesterday in my of my rat traps. They’re these big plastic rat traps (the ones that snap closed) from Amazon. I put peanut butter in the little tray, and they love it.

That’s like the 5th rat I’ve killed with them. They live under my chicken coop and eat the chicken food at night lol

OP
W
I'll try the big traps and foil, I've also got a couple live traps that I've used for coons and stray cats, would they do any good?

CRJR45

WKR
Get a tracking device and attach it to a small ball of string and leave it where the rat will find it .
The rat will take it to its den . Then start putting small amounts of Tannerite in the balls of string leaving them out also .
Do this for a couple weeks , maybe a month .
Then get a RC ignition device and another tracker , put them in the last ball of string , leaving it out .
Now all you have to do is wait until the two trackers are in the same place and pull the trigger .

Oh , and video it all , it should be Epic !

OP
W
Dude I just caught a GIANT rat yesterday in my of my rat traps. They’re these big plastic rat traps (the ones that snap closed) from Amazon. I put peanut butter in the little tray, and they love it.

That’s like the 5th rat I’ve killed with them. They live under my chicken coop and eat the chicken food at night lol
I looked at those, but not sure if they're big enough? This terrorist I saw this morning looked like Master Splinter from ninja turtles.

So many questions. Actual pack rat? Or just a rat? Or is pack rat a euphemism? Is war necessary? Arrest and deport? 😉

We used to have them in our radio transmitter sheds up on the mountain. They made a bit of a mess. Sealing up all possible entry points stopped the problem.

OP
W
I'm also battling mice at the moment, I've got a feeling that they might trip a baited snap trap before the rat gets a chance at suicide.

OP
W
So many questions. Actual pack rat? Or just a rat? Or is pack rat a euphemism? Is war necessary? Arrest and deport? 😉

We used to have them in our radio transmitter sheds up on the mountain. They made a bit of a mess. Sealing up all possible entry points stopped the problem.
100% pack rat, total war is necessary, no arrest, no trial, no jury they're guilty. They're outside at this point, no sign of them in the house, yet.

OP
W
Get a tracking device and attach it to a small ball of string and leave it where the rat will find it .
The rat will take it to its den . Then start putting small amounts of Tannerite in the balls of string leaving them out also .
Do this for a couple weeks , maybe a month .
Then get a RC ignition device and another tracker , put them in the last ball of string , leaving it out .
Now all you have to do is wait until the two trackers are in the same place and pull the trigger .

Oh , and video it all , it should be Epic !
I like your style, but I want this over with ASAP before it becomes a major issue.

Weldor

WKR
Do it old school, large snap traps set in series no bait. I hate them, tear up wiring overnite. They ate my buddy's Subaru to the tune of $3800 bucks . Poor guy got it back from the dealer 2 days later same same. Everybody down here in the desert puts lights under the vehicle and leaves the hood open. They are tough little critters, hire a golfer snake , LOL. I don't use poison at all, don't want my hounds poisoned or the birds of prey.

I have had success with an ought foot trap in a 5" stove pipe placed up against a wall. They can't seem to avoid the opportunity.

They also seem to come in groups of 3-5. Be patient !

My barn cats won't touch them so you have to do something. Like someone said they tend to stockpile poison. We tried that one year in our hunting camp. It took a full year and it seems they share. By spring there wasn't a rodent of any kind within half a mile.

Fill a 5gal bucket 1/3 to 1/2 full of water.

Put a ramp from the ground to the rim of the bucket, such as a 2x4, 1x4, etc.

Tie a couple chicken bones to a line and dangle down from a rafter to about 6in above your wood ramp. It will work the first night almost every time.

SWOHTR

WKR
The Victor bait stations with the traps that fit inside have done me well for catching them.

The single biggest thing I did to help though, was clean up their feed/nest material source as much as possible.

And if you want a silly answer, landmines and flamethrowers. Couple that with a drone for persistent ISR and another for close air support.

OP
W
The single biggest thing I did to help though, was clean up their feed/nest material source as much as possible.
I live in a rural area and nest material is everywhere and impossible to eliminate. This morning is the 1st sign of them in 8 years that I've owned my home and I'm hoping to kill them before it gets out of hand if possible.