Best caliber and bullet for African Hunt

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I like the science of shooting. I enjoy these forums. I am 66 years old and have only been hunting for 4 years since I retired and moved to Florida. Sometimes the right approach is difficult to figure out. I enjoy shooting targets at longer ranges but the farthest I have shot an animal is a Turkey I killed at 260 yards. Deer and Coyotes at 150 yards or less. My friend and I have been invited to South Africa next summer. I immediately started researching what caliber rifle to bring for longer range shots. No dangerous game planned. The outfitter is of course suggesting a .30 cal minimum using at least a 30-06 or preferably a WIn Mag. The outfitter we are using does old man hunts. Drive around until you see something, jump out of the truck, use a tripod or a bag on the hood of the truck and start shooting. My other friend who went last time actually killed 2 animals at over 600 yards. I used this as an excuse to start looking for some new rifles that I really do not need and got a great deal on a 6.8 Western and a 300 PRC. I normally hunt with a 6mm Creedmoor and have a Proof 6.5 PRC and a Tikka 30-06. Comparing them using the Ryan Avery philosophy of speed kills and not going below 2000 fps yielded interesting results.

Proof Elevation MTR 6.5 PRC 24" Barrel. UM 147 gr ELD-m (.697 BC) chronos at 3000 fps. The 156gr EOL (.679 BC) I have from Choice ammo gets 3010 fps. That takes my 6.5PRC out to 825 yards before it drops below 2000 fps. Even the Hornady factory ELD-m at 2900 fps gets you a range of 750 yards

Tikka 30-06 24" Barrel. Winchester 190 gr AB LR (.597 BC) Chrono at 2751 fps. Max range at 2000 fps 600 yards. Who needs fancy new stuff?

Browning 6.8 Western 24" Barrel. Winchester 170 gr Ballistic tip (.563 BC) Chronographs at 2960 fps. That was in the initial 10 rounds. It might get faster. That gets to 675 yards before it drops below the threshold. Nowhere close to the 6.5 PRC.

My friend's 7PRC with 175gr ELD-x (.689 BC) tested at 2830 fps using the Hornady factory ammo. Max range is 725 yards at 2000 fps. I see why people complain that it says 3000 fps on the box. I have read that the Federal ELD-x does much better. I assume an ELD-m bullet (.796 BC) in a custom load that gets close to the Hornady specified 2975 fps would be the best setup for max range at 975 yards.

Picked up a Howa 1500 300 PRC for a song. 24" barrel. 212 gr ELD-x (.663 BC) hit 2790 fps. Again less than 10 rounds fired. That yields a range of just under 675 yards. If I used the 225 gr ELD-m (.777 BC) and it got close to the Hornady listed velocity of 2810 fps it yield an 800 yard range.

I was going to have UM build me a custom 7PRC but I am not sure it gains much. MY Proof 6.5 PRC is easy to shoot and amazingly accurate. My friend will take the Tikka 30-06 which is also very accurate with a CarbonSix barrel. We would each take a second lighter recoiling rifle for shots under 400 yards.

Big boomers just don't seem to be necessary. Doesn't mean I won't decide to build something with a shorter barrel to run suppressed and still have a 700 yard max range. I would love a 6UM but don't handload. Fun problems to have.

S-3 ranch

WKR
What district y’all hunting in RSA ?
We are heading to the Limpopo area , outfitter says planning on max shots 300 meters is about right for the area,
Our arsenal will be 375 ruger , 270 win with 150gr Norma oryx, 270wsm 130gr ttsx ( nyala, kudos, elands, buffalo, water buck )

OP
L

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
I was really surprised about the 600 yard distance. It definitely increases the difficulty. I have been told they prefer you take high shoulder shots to try and anchor the animals. I assumed tougher bullets and copper monos might be the norm. They don't work so well over 600 yards. I assume 600 yard shots are a rarity. I know they had trouble getting good hits at that distance last time. Most average hunters, me included would struggle. Time to practice.

Are you going for dangerous game? Is that why the .375?

I just returned from South Africa. My group of 4 hunters all used a 300 Win Mag. In addition I took a 308 Win.

We harvested over 30 plains game animals and were never under gunned.

I shot all but one of my animals with the 308. The exception was an Eland and I used my 300 Win Mag for him.

Shots ranged from 22 yards to 360 yards.

JGRaider

WKR
I've killed over 60 head over there, mostly in Namibia. I've never come close to shooting 600 yards. Forget the long, skinny, high BC bullets and run with the TTSX, partition, acccubond, oryx, etc. Put a good bullet in the right place and African game will die just as quick and easy as they do here.

SloppyJ

WKR
For a guide who does hunts like you stated, jumping out of the truck and shooting off the hood, I don't feel like they're going to want you taking long shots. The kind of guys who go on those hunts likely aren't the most practiced marksmen.

Sounds like you have everything you need. If you're looking for an excuse to build a rifle for this, why not keep it classic like a H&H or 375 Ruger in a model 70?

SDHNTR

WKR
Zero chance at you explaining modern ballistics to your PH and changing his mind. While your 6 Creed and the right bullet would likely do just fine, you aren’t going to win that argument. Use what the PH suggests. No need for 600 yard shots.

I just returned from South Africa. My group of 4 hunters all used a 300 Win Mag. In addition I took a 308 Win.

We harvested over 30 plains game animals and were never under gunned.

I shot all but one of my animals with the 308. The exception was an Eland and I used my 300 Win Mag for him.

Shots ranged from 22 yards to 360 yards.
What bullet did you take for the 308? where most of your shots standing from sticks?

gbflyer

WKR
Bear in mind that you may end up having to buy or borrow ammo if yours gets lost. I wouldn’t bring a PRC anything to SA. Bring a 30-06, 300WM, etc.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
last trip on plains game we used a .308 and .270. Both were the PH's rifles - but his caliber of choice for personal use was a .22-50 for most plains game. Small. Next summer we are going back and we were planning to bring a 6.5prc for me and 7prc for my son. (1 person cannot import 2 of the same caliber), Bushbuck is one of my targets so smaller is better. If you're targeting eland, waterbuck or kudu size game, you may wish for bigger. I spoke with the PH and for the past year they have been using 300prc quite a bit and said it's a great all around cartridge too.

180ls1

WKR
Don't overthink it. We have so much choice/options today its easy for that to become a problem when we're light years ahead of guys even just 10 years ago.

7prc seems like a nice middle ground.

It’s South Africa, 99.9% of the game is High fenced. I have been twice and have bowhunted for the challenge.

With a rifle it’s a shoot.. you can take as long of a shot as you want; glass the animal, drive away and back up on a hill til you hit 1000yds to claim your 1K kill 😝

If you go to the “proper” African hunting forum you would be encouraged to get a double rifle (very expensive) with open sights and hunt the traditional way.

Northpark

WKR
I’m over here in Limpopo right now sitting around the campfire. We’ve shot 15 animals so far. 40-250 yards. All with a .308 win shooting 180gr Sierra game kings. Seems to work just fine on everything from 15lb steenbok to Kudu. We’ve also taken wildebeest, impala, warthog, zebra, blesbok, springbok, etc.

I like the science of shooting. I enjoy these forums. I am 66 years old and have only been hunting for 4 years since I retired and moved to Florida. Sometimes the right approach is difficult to figure out. I enjoy shooting targets at longer ranges but the farthest I have shot an animal is a Turkey I killed at 260 yards. Deer and Coyotes at 150 yards or less. My friend and I have been invited to South Africa next summer. I immediately started researching what caliber rifle to bring for longer range shots. No dangerous game planned. The outfitter is of course suggesting a .30 cal minimum using at least a 30-06 or preferably a WIn Mag. The outfitter we are using does old man hunts. Drive around until you see something, jump out of the truck, use a tripod or a bag on the hood of the truck and start shooting. My other friend who went last time actually killed 2 animals at over 600 yards. I used this as an excuse to start looking for some new rifles that I really do not need and got a great deal on a 6.8 Western and a 300 PRC. I normally hunt with a 6mm Creedmoor and have a Proof 6.5 PRC and a Tikka 30-06. Comparing them using the Ryan Avery philosophy of speed kills and not going below 2000 fps yielded interesting results.

Proof Elevation MTR 6.5 PRC 24" Barrel. UM 147 gr ELD-m (.697 BC) chronos at 3000 fps. The 156gr EOL (.679 BC) I have from Choice ammo gets 3010 fps. That takes my 6.5PRC out to 825 yards before it drops below 2000 fps. Even the Hornady factory ELD-m at 2900 fps gets you a range of 750 yards

Tikka 30-06 24" Barrel. Winchester 190 gr AB LR (.597 BC) Chrono at 2751 fps. Max range at 2000 fps 600 yards. Who needs fancy new stuff?

Browning 6.8 Western 24" Barrel. Winchester 170 gr Ballistic tip (.563 BC) Chronographs at 2960 fps. That was in the initial 10 rounds. It might get faster. That gets to 675 yards before it drops below the threshold. Nowhere close to the 6.5 PRC.

My friend's 7PRC with 175gr ELD-x (.689 BC) tested at 2830 fps using the Hornady factory ammo. Max range is 725 yards at 2000 fps. I see why people complain that it says 3000 fps on the box. I have read that the Federal ELD-x does much better. I assume an ELD-m bullet (.796 BC) in a custom load that gets close to the Hornady specified 2975 fps would be the best setup for max range at 975 yards.

Picked up a Howa 1500 300 PRC for a song. 24" barrel. 212 gr ELD-x (.663 BC) hit 2790 fps. Again less than 10 rounds fired. That yields a range of just under 675 yards. If I used the 225 gr ELD-m (.777 BC) and it got close to the Hornady listed velocity of 2810 fps it yield an 800 yard range.

I was going to have UM build me a custom 7PRC but I am not sure it gains much. MY Proof 6.5 PRC is easy to shoot and amazingly accurate. My friend will take the Tikka 30-06 which is also very accurate with a CarbonSix barrel. We would each take a second lighter recoiling rifle for shots under 400 yards.

Big boomers just don't seem to be necessary. Doesn't mean I won't decide to build something with a shorter barrel to run suppressed and still have a 700 yard max range. I would love a 6UM but don't handload. Fun problems to have.

IIRC, you can take 2 rifles to most of the places you'd hunt in Africa. So...maybe consider taking a reliable choice, in terms of ammo availability and doing what the PH said (30-06 Tikka), and the second one of your choice for the pure enjoyment of it.

One thing I've heard repeatedly from those who've hunted Africa - do exactly what your PH says, and run your equipment and ammo choices past them first. Some can be particular about the bullets they want their clients running - or not running. If they say 30-06 with Nosler bondeds or Barnes monos, bring that gun and that ammo. But also ask if they'd mind if you also brought whatever else it is you'd like to also shoot. Make them feel heard, respected, and trusted, before asking about exceptions.

OP
L

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the advice. My
IIRC, you can take 2 rifles to most of the places you'd hunt in Africa. So...maybe consider taking a reliable choice, in terms of ammo availability and doing what the PH said (30-06 Tikka), and the second one of your choice for the pure enjoyment of it.

One thing I've heard repeatedly from those who've hunted Africa - do exactly what your PH says, and run your equipment and ammo choices past them first. Some can be particular about the bullets they want their clients running - or not running. If they say 30-06 with Nosler bondeds or Barnes monos, bring that gun and that ammo. But also ask if they'd mind if you also brought whatever else it is you'd like to also shoot. Make them feel heard, respected, and trusted, before asking about exceptions.
Sounds like great advice.

OP
L

Liftman101

Lil-Rokslider
It’s South Africa, 99.9% of the game is High fenced. I have been twice and have bowhunted for the challenge.

With a rifle it’s a shoot.. you can take as long of a shot as you want; glass the animal, drive away and back up on a hill til you hit 1000yds to claim your 1K kill 😝

If you go to the “proper” African hunting forum you would be encouraged to get a double rifle (very expensive) with open sights and hunt the traditional way.
What about single shots? It would be fun to get a Ruger #1 in .375 Ruger or build an Encore in .375 H&H.

I have hunted Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia. My last hunt in Namibia was across open sandy areas in the Kalahari with little cover, and most shots were 250 to 350 yards, with the longest being around 520 yards. I did everything on that hunt with a 300 magnum and 180gn accubonds. That combo performed well on the steenbok , springbok and gemsbok I was hunting that trip.

I also worked in South Africa for a coupe of years, and have hunted SA and Namibia like a local would on a "biltong" hunt at the invite of various friends in Africa. In those situations, an animal is often headshot with smaller bore cartridges. I was out hunting a friends farm when a gemsbok bull popped up in front of us at about 100 yards. At my friends request, I head shot that bull and dropped it on the spot using a 52gn bullet in a 222 Rem.

Aside from what you feel comfortable with, you also have to get the okay from your outfitter. And the PHs understanding of terminal ballistics varies widely in Africa. Generally the attitude toward a suitable rifle is pretty conservative in African countries, and favours heavily constricted bullets in large for calibre weights moving slowly. Also, the PH is going to be a bit cautious about your ability to hit what you are aiming at until you prove yourself to them.

One PH I was talking to on an earlier hunt had allowed a client to hunt everything with a 6mm WSSM, but the next PH might have said "no" to that and considered it as not enough gun. I would talk to the outfitter about your rifle preferences and make sure they are okay with what you want to take. As long as they are okay, then take what you are comfortable with.

jeffpg

WKR
First of all, Congratulations on the decision to go hunt in Africa. There's nothing else quite like it. I worked there for 4 years and safaried extensively. I made many trips into Botswana, South Africa and Namibia, taking well over 100 plains game animals and a handful of DG critters. My last trip lasted 37 straight days, as I hunted several different properties in 2 different countries. I had a bow brought over that hopped around from place to place, but I never took my own rifle. Instead, I used PH's rifles and shotguns and ended up hunting with a few different guns and cartridges that I never would have otherwise. I took game with a .223, 7mm Mauser, 270, 30.06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby, as well as a compound bow, crossbow and .410 ga shotgun. I used a variety of bullets, both factory loads and reloads, and not one single time did my equipment, ammo and/or bullet let me down.

At home, I own and enjoy many different cartridges, the latest being the family of PRC offerings. I would not hesitate to bring any of them to Africa, BUT there is a lot to be said for using the standard 30.06, etc. due to the availability of ammo almost everywhere. The good ol .06 can do it all over there too for plains game. As stated, consult your PH and get a feel for what they like and suggest. They may not know everything, but the do know everything that you don't about their hunting grounds and animals.

Shoot everything THROUGH, not behind the shoulder, as the vitals are farther forward across the board over there.

ENJOY!
Jeff