Exped Vs Neo (need help)

Yukondog

WKR
I've looked and looked. I have narrowed down my search for a 3-season pad to two different ones. Thought I was all in on the Exped until my hunting buddy picked up the Neo-Air Xlite pad today. The Neo-Air Xlite pad came highly recommended from those crazy mountaineering types. The one thing that I'm not crazy about the Xlite is the shape of the pad. I prefer a rectangular type pad.

I want/need the Long Wide pad being 6'4".

Exped SynMat UL 7 Long Wide 77x25x2.8 R-3.1 Weight 21.1oz http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad

Neo-Air Xlite Long Wide 77x25x2.5 R-3.2 Weight 16oz http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad

Both pads are a huge weight savings over my BA IAC that comes it at 36oz.

I'm looking for some input as to the durability of each pad. Being so light I'm afraid that they will not stand up for the long run. Putting 220lbs on a pad that is not stout is concerning me.

What are some personal experiences and also something you may have heard about each of these pads?

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a good full season on my Neoair, and haven't had trouble one. It isn't any noisier than my BA aircore either. I really like it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of people were skeptical on how the Neo Air would hold up. I have had one since the first day they were available and it is going strong. Probably somewhere around 75 nights on it without any problems. I use it in my tent or bivy with no other ground protection. I don't have any personal experience with the Exped, but have not heard anything bad about it. I would go Neo Air base on saving 5.5 ounces.

B

bearguide

i love my neo /never any problems / i have used it for a week hunting bears in a black diamond mega lite ( no floor ) sleeping on the grass with no holes yet / i carry fletching cement just in case

R

rebecca francis

I love my neoair. It takes hardly any space in my pack and is so lightweight. I've taken it all over and never had a problem yet. I also thought at first it would be uncomfortable, but it is actually very comfortable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The sound of the sleeping pads don't bother me that much i guess. I am asleep so I don't hear them, and no I don't snore, or atleast my wife says I don't. :D For early season hunts when you don't need a lot of insulation from the ground the Neo Airs are very tough to beat for the weight and comfort they provide. My Neo Air short is 9 oz and I sleep on it for 40 or so nights a year, great little pad.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Try to find a store that has both and go lay on them. If one is more comfortable than the other, buy it. Some people prefer vertical baffles to horizontal baffles. If they're both comfortable, get the xlite for the weight savings. I've used both and love them both. I have an xlite now, but would be happy with another UL7 as well. I like the vertical baffles on the UL7...the two outer baffles are slightly raised and did a great job keeping me centered on the pad all night long.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another option for a UL pad is the Pacific Outdoors Arc....much cheaper too.

I think Stephen B uses this model and speaks very highly of it.

cmeier117

WKR
How much sound does the neo make?

Funny you should ask. I was at REI tonight looking at them because I was interested but it sounds like a potato chip bag!! I couldn't sleep on it. I would carry the extra weight over the crinkle matt!!!

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Thanks everyone for the help. Sounds like the NeoAir is the winner if I don't mind the noise of it. If so, it will be the Exped. Don't think I can go wrong with either pad.

It doesn't sound like there have been many failures out there. That is my biggest concern.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would definitely blow up the Neo in the store and see what you think before purchasing it. It's a great pad and the noise may not be an issue for some...and you may want to think about your hunting partner having to listen to it as well.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Good point about partner hearing it. Now I'm back leaning towards the exped because of less noise and liking the shape better.

Over the last month I have had a Pro Light Plus,Neo Air, BAIAC and Neo Air x-light. I kept the Neo Air X-light Large. It is 25 inches wide and 16 oz. Due to its taper I can fit it inside my Montbell Bivy with my Montbell UL super spiral down hugger # 1 and still have room. When I pack up I deflate the pad and stuff the Bivy, bag and pad in a 20 liter sea to summit sil nylon dry bag and it all fits in the sleeping bag compartment of the horn hunter full curl spike bag with room to spare. When ready to set up I just pull it out blow up the x-lite fluff up the bag and I'm ready to go. I like the horizontal baffles of the neo x lite. It is also faster to blow up then the BAIAC. I was torn between the x light and the exped but the mummy shape and weight sold me on the x light. Hope this helps.

Soutie

FNG
I would go with Exped..bought mine last week, cost a small fortune but used the REI which helped ease the pain, used it the last couple of nights and it was great. Easy setup and roll up and not too noisy. A bit thin which makes me nervous..