Exped Vs Neo (need help)

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Back from REI...... I have no idea how to explain the noise of the NeoAir. Soda can, chip bag, tin foil slam dance, stove top popcorn or popping bubble wrap. Take your pick. It would be a awesome pad at 15oz for someone who could handle the noise. I had my 7yr old son wiggle around on it and I could hear it from 20yds away in the busy Sunday REI crowd. Not only would I have a hard time falling asleep on it I can't imagine what a hunting partner would think sharing a tent.

I'm picking up the long wide Exped. Fit, feel and noise level is much better for me.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.

Matt

slim9300

WKR
I run the Exped UL7 as well. Couldn't handle the sound of the Neo.

Exactly. The NeoAir is much louder than the UL 7. It's unbearable for me.

I have had my UL 7 medium since the day it was released. I am relatively tall (6' 2") and prefer a long pad, but I have loved the UL 7 almost as much as my larger, thicker and warmer DownMat 9 DLX. It is somewhat noisy compared to the DownMat but nothing like the NeoAir.

Exped has the best customer service in the industry IMHO. Their pads have a 5 year warranty. I had my last DownMat 9 DLX for 4 years and it developed a VERY slow leak due to internal rotting from moisture. They replaced it for free with the new Pump model. My dad laid his on a bed of cactus in Eastern MT after having his for four years and even though I just sent it back to see if they could fix it, they replaced it with a brand new model too. They just asked for us to spread the word and keep buying their stuff. lol.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Back from REI...... I have no idea how to explain the noise of the NeoAir. Soda can, chip bag, tin foil slam dance, stove top popcorn or popping bubble wrap. Take your pick. It would be a awesome pad at 15oz for someone who could handle the noise. I had my 7yr old son wiggle around on it and I could hear it from 20yds away in the busy Sunday REI crowd. Not only would I have a hard time falling asleep on it I can't imagine what a hunting partner would think sharing a tent.

I'm picking up the long wide Exped. Fit, feel and noise level is much better for me.

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts.

Matt

Oops. Just saw this. You made the right choice if noise is a concern.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow, you guys almost have me convinced to sell of the NeoAir before I even get a season of use out of it.....

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Wow, you guys almost have me convinced to sell of the NeoAir before I even get a season of use out of it.....

Use it if you can. Personally I found something I didn't like, so I won't buy it. I would grab it up for sure if it was not for the noise. If that doesn't bother you it is a great choice. I do like the rectangular shape of the exped too. I flop around like a fish when I sleep and have a better chance staying on a pad with greater surface area.

I do like this forum because you get honest answers from guys/gals who have used the gear. What works for one person might not work for me but that doesn't make anyone wrong in their opinion. For me gear is fun to talk about and get different opinions from folks that use it. I've taken a couple good ideas from this forum and will start using them next year. My favorite has to be the mix of the Soto stove and cut down jet boil cup. Only if I had the tools to do it. Not necessary, but would be fun to do.

Matt

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well I pulled out the pad, pumped it up and I think I can handle it. It wasn't that bad in my mind.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I even pulled out the BA Air Core just to see how it did too. The Thermarest is much more comfortable, the horizontal baffles make all the difference.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

I'd try it and see if it really bothers ya for sleeping. I was apprehensive about it as well, but my wife and I both sleep on them (coupled together) and its a non-issue for us atleast. Sure it sounds super load when you grab the corner and crinkle it with your hand, but the reality of it is when you bag is on top of it its already muffled and not that loud, plus I am a toss and turner.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
I even pulled out the BA Air Core just to see how it did too. The Thermarest is much more comfortable, the horizontal baffles make all the difference.

Although I didn't lay on it I agree with you that Horizontal baffles are way more comfortable to me! My dad has Nemo Astro Insulated pad and it feels like my bed at home. It weighs more though, around 24oz.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Although I didn't lay on it I agree with you that Horizontal baffles are way more comfortable to me! My dad has Nemo Astro Insulated pad and it feels like my bed at home. It weighs more though, around 24oz.

I can't wait to use the NEO this season now. It's going to be a very large step up from the Alps Mountaineering self inflating pad I have had for the last few seasons. Just being further off the ground is going not to mention the lighter weight.