Exo Mountain K4?

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just came back from alaska and while training my buddy had a kuiu and I have the exo. everything was great with both till we started using moose weight to train with. once we got over 80 pounds his pack did not do well and now he owns an exo. Like everyone says though packs are like boots and you need to go with the one that fits you best. I tried SG and kifaru before exo and I can't imagine finding a better pack for me.

mtnbound

WKR
Torn between this Exo K4 and the Kuiu system. I’ve never seen a Exo in person but have been impressed with the Kuiu bags.

I have both and one issue with the Kuiu for me is the load shelf/panel cannot be used with a pack mounted to the frame. You can put a load in between the frame and the pack but the load is supported by the 2 small straps at the bottom and I prefer the load to be supported better than that. When it comes to hauling weight they are both good to about 45-50lbs but after that the EXO is superior.

I’ve found the best combo to be a 2200 and a 5000. Just buy one frame and run whatever bag makes sense. Day hunts I go with the 2200 and everything else I take the 5000. Seems to be a decent combo.
I agree, I have the 2200 and 3600, but the 5000 would have made my setup a little more versatile

I have no complaints and not had any scenarios that the 3600 was too small, but the 5000 makes more sense if you have a 2200

I picked mine initially, thinking the 3600 would be the most practical for me, but the 2200 wasn’t a thing at that time or I would have just got a 5000

On a different note, I helped my brother get his bull packed out and decided to use my k2 for comparison (I love that pack) but the k4 improvement over the k2 with k3 belt was surprising) made me appreciate the k4 even more

I agree, I have the 2200 and 3600, but the 5000 would have made my setup a little more versatile

I have no complaints and not had any scenarios that the 3600 was too small, but the 5000 makes more sense if you have a 2200

I picked mine initially, thinking the 3600 would be the most practical for me, but the 2200 wasn’t a thing at that time or I would have just got a 5000

On a different note, I helped my brother get his bull packed out and decided to use my k2 for comparison (I love that pack) but the k4 improvement over the k2 with k3 belt was surprising) made me appreciate the k4 even more
Yeah I made the same choice on the K3. Initially purchased the 3200 and realized that I wanted a bigger size for backpack hunts so went with the 4800 too. Then I realized I had two very similar bags. Figured when the K4 came out I’d not make that same mistake and just go with the 2200 and 5000 and it’s definitely a more versatile option.

Only thing I need to figure out is if I’ll be able to fit all my heavy insulation layers in the 2200 for my late season rifle elk hunt this year.

I guess I must be the outlier, as I’ve gone to the two most extremes. The 2200 for day hunts and the 7200 for the expeditions. I usually end up carrying crap for my kids or wife so I’ve always needed the extra volume. Plus those packs are easy to squish down if I don’t happen to have it full. I hate having a pack so full I’m afraid I’m gonna break the zippers. And the different in weight is negligible between those two sizes. But again, to each their own.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I guess I must be the outlier, as I’ve gone to the two most extremes. The 2200 for day hunts and the 7200 for the expeditions. I usually end up carrying crap for my kids or wife so I’ve always needed the extra volume. Plus those packs are easy to squish down if I don’t happen to have it full. I hate having a pack so full I’m afraid I’m gonna break the zippers. And the different in weight is negligible between those two sizes. But again, to each their own.
Same set up, except I added the Stone glacier side bags. The side bags are amazing for putting outer layers in and out of quickly, they also compress (and protect) hiking poles/tripod (slid into side pockets) to the main bag.

Side bags add 1500cu in, can throw on the lid for additional space. I think my 7200 bag is going to be lonely until I book an AK trip.

Same set up, except I added the Stone glacier side bags. The side bags are amazing for putting outer layers in and out of quickly, they also compress (and protect) hiking poles/tripod (slid into side pockets) to the main bag.

Side bags add 1500cu in, can throw on the lid for additional space. I think my 7200 bag is going to be lonely until I book an AK trip.
Ha. I added the SG access bag to the back of mine for the same purpose. Easy access to outer layers. I’ll have to look at the side bags. Thanks for the insight.

Yeah I made the same choice on the K3. Initially purchased the 3200 and realized that I wanted a bigger size for backpack hunts so went with the 4800 too. Then I realized I had two very similar bags. Figured when the K4 came out I’d not make that same mistake and just go with the 2200 and 5000 and it’s definitely a more versatile option.

Only thing I need to figure out is if I’ll be able to fit all my heavy insulation layers in the 2200 for my late season rifle elk hunt this year.
I have not ran into any scenarios day hunting that the 2200 was too small

Calling cats in the winter is when it’s the fullest, because my foxpro eats a lot of space

Insulation layers always in the bag, but usually strap my rain gear to the outside regardless of how empty or full my pack is, I want to access it without opening the bag, but wouldn’t have trouble fitting it in the bag with my insulation and gear

Right now (rifle blacktail) I have a lot of room to spare, but have my front bag, glassing pad, and tripod always strapped to the outside

I have a 2200 and 5000. The 2200 is nice but it does act small. I used to get a 3 day out of the K2 2000. No way am I getting that from the 2000. It does carry everything you need for a day hunt.

Zbo93

FNG
So seems like the consensus would be that if I already have a 2200, to get a 5000.

Rather than sell 2200 and get 3600

I found the 2200 perfect for early season whitetail or September elk day hunts. Once I need multiple/warm layers, I'm into the 3600, even for day hunts... Including my full elk day load-out (food/water/etc.); I can just fit a light jacket, puffy vest, thermal top, and sun hoodie; in my 2200. Obviously, you could add the lid, but I personally don't like lids for day hunts where I may need to access contents frequently...