Exo Mountain K4?

Scooter88

FNG
I'm not an ideal tester, don't hunt enough. But I'm good at breaking things and will happily pay for a prototype UL frame and bag if funds allow. So, I hope this ends up being the case.
Being good at breaking things ought to be a necessary prerequisite to qualify as an “ideal tester” imo.

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
This is gonna sound pretty silly but Is there anyone on this thread that would trade a coyote brown 5000 set up for the same in ranger green? 3 hipbelt Accessories included. Medium belt. 25” frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3486.jpeg
    IMG_3486.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3488.jpeg
    IMG_3488.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 30

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks @Mark at EXO . Can you share how much potential weight savings we’re talking about in a 5,000ci configuration?

Just my $0.02, but I view the bag (not frame) as a replaceable commodity after a few seasons (like boots, clothes, etc). I’m more concerned with failure (which would make a pack out very difficult/impossible) rather than wear and tear after a few seasons. Sure, durability can lead to outright failure but failure can also be largely mitigated by inspecting every few months and repairing as needed. At $300’ish for the bag I’m willing to replace it as needed after a few seasons in the interest of weight savings, simplicity, and less water-weight retention. If possible, can you share what issues you are seeing with some of the lighter-weight materials? Is it durability concerns or outright failure?
Interesting. My bags seem to last fairly decently, although some zippers have started to go, and I’ve had the DWR finish peel off the material for different companies. It’s the frames that in my experience are more often replaceable as I’ve had to replace straps and belts, or seen some sewing repairs required.

I do agree though, that I like lightweight options. I’ve been using the K4 and the SG Terminus recently, but I’d love to see an option in the Terminus’ weight range with an external frame.

sr80

WKR
I think the most important aspect of a UL pack is going to be the frame, versus the bag. And likely take up a vast majority of the testing and design process. To be able to cut its weight while maintaining the comfort/load hauling capabilities while still being durable enough for back country hunting. There is always a give and take. With the materials available these days it would be pretty easy to sew up their current bag designs with UHMP type material and call it good, but i also don't think the exo guys would take the easy road and do that. I do remember hearing Steve talk about that type of material vs cordura, I cant remember the weight difference between the two materials, but i do not think it was very substantial. Here is one picture I found of a new frame being tested.

Attachments

• IMG_4869.PNG
    IMG_4869.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Interesting. My bags seem to last fairly decently, although some zippers have started to go, and I’ve had the DWR finish peel off the material for different companies. It’s the frames that in my experience are more often replaceable as I’ve had to replace straps and belts, or seen some sewing repairs required.

I do agree though, that I like lightweight options. I’ve been using the K4 and the SG Terminus recently, but I’d love to see an option in the Terminus’ weight range with an external frame.
The only pack that is in the conversation for “high end” packs that I’ve had real durability issues with was kuiu, the short time period I tried one, everything got tore up… primarily waist belt and bag… every other pack I’ve had that’s popular today has been fine (also had a stay causing wear trying to poke through on a SO frame) but bags have always been pretty dang solid other than kuiu

I haven’t even had zipper issues with any high end packs (back in the day, zippers would get wrecked on horn hunter and badlands, but that’s a very different category of packs)

I wouldn’t hesitate using any materials exo vetted and decided to produce, and wouldn’t expect any issues at all

ljalberta

WKR
The only pack that is in the conversation for “high end” packs that I’ve had real durability issues with was kuiu, the short time period I tried one, everything got tore up… primarily waist belt and bag… every other pack I’ve had that’s popular today has been fine (also had a stay causing wear trying to poke through on a SO frame) but bags have always been pretty dang solid other than kuiu

I haven’t even had zipper issues with any high end packs (back in the day, zippers would get wrecked on horn hunter and badlands, but that’s a very different category of packs)

I wouldn’t hesitate using any materials exo vetted and decided to produce, and wouldn’t expect any issues at all
Good to hear. The K4 is my first Exo and I look forward to some good years of use. I wore out shoulder straps with both SG and Kifaru (flattened, and fabrics/thread wear through). Main bag zipper on a SG pack got worn and the internal DWR (shouldn’t be expected to last forever anyway) began peeling on a Kifaru. Some other wear and tear as well. All companies have been excellent to deal with though, and i don’t expect foam and fabric to last forever if you’re using them backpack hunting.

Good to hear. The K4 is my first Exo and I look forward to some good years of use. I wore out shoulder straps with both SG and Kifaru (flattened, and fabrics/thread wear through). Main bag zipper on a SG pack got worn and the internal DWR (shouldn’t be expected to last forever anyway) began peeling on a Kifaru. Some other wear and tear as well. All companies have been excellent to deal with though, and i don’t expect foam and fabric to last forever if you’re using them backpack hunting.
The K4 also seems a little more beefed up vs previous exo packs. I don’t expect any durability issues with the k4 at all, I assume we’ll get a lot of use out of k4, and the next pack I get will be the next offering from exo… I honestly can’t imagine how they will improve on the k4 for what I do, but I know they will, which is exciting

Mine still looks new after a good amount of use, and has maintained the honeymoon phase (still continuing to be impressed with it)

I will probably get a second frame with the long stays as a dedicated meat hauler to keep my primary pack clean helping others get animals out of the woods

IMO, they completely killed it on k4. Of course everyone’s use/needs are different, but mine is the standout among all of the packs I’ve owned or used

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
The K4 also seems a little more beefed up vs previous exo packs. I don’t expect any durability issues with the k4 at all, I assume we’ll get a lot of use out of k4, and the next pack I get will be the next offering from exo… I honestly can’t imagine how they will improve on the k4 for what I do, but I know they will, which is exciting

Mine still looks new after a good amount of use, and has maintained the honeymoon phase (still continuing to be impressed with it)

I will probably get a second frame with the long stays as a dedicated meat hauler to keep my primary pack clean helping others get animals out of the woods

IMO, they completely killed it on k4. Of course everyone’s use/needs are different, but mine is the standout among all of the packs I’ve owned or used

I agree 100%, I have had every EXO pack released the K4 is outstanding and while there are some things I would like to see, those are for my specific needs. I too am going to pick up a second frame but for training.

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
I think the most important aspect of a UL pack is going to be the frame, versus the bag. And likely take up a vast majority of the testing and design process. To be able to cut its weight while maintaining the comfort/load hauling capabilities while still being durable enough for back country hunting. There is always a give and take. With the materials available these days it would be pretty easy to sew up their current bag designs with UHMP type material and call it good, but i also don't think the exo guys would take the easy road and do that. I do remember hearing Steve talk about that type of material vs cordura, I cant remember the weight difference between the two materials, but i do not think it was very substantial. Here is one picture I found of a new frame being tested.
New color pack in the future guys? @Mark at EXO @S&S ARCHERY I am all for an all black Exo pack! 🔥🔥🔥

To be able to cut its weight while maintaining the comfort/load hauling capabilities while still being durable enough for back country hunting.
I'll say that the UL K4 frame, as pictured in your post, is bomber. I've found no difference in load carrying ability, or durability, between my production K4 and the UL one, though the weight difference is significant.
Bighorn, Moose and Blacktail have all come out so far on mine. Most companies would release now, maybe even have a pre-sale.., but we can all trust that Steve is going to make absolutely damn sure that every aspect is dialed.

fbhandler

WKR
I have also come across the odd picture testing the UL frame floating around...
A
I'll say that the UL K4 frame, as pictured in your post, is bomber. I've found no difference in load carrying ability, or durability, between my production K4 and the UL one, though the weight difference is significant.
Bighorn, Moose and Blacktail have all come out so far on mine. Most companies would release now, maybe even have a pre-sale.., but we can all trust that Steve is going to make absolutely damn sure that every aspect is dialed.
any chance on some pics ?? Don’t have FB & IG

sr80

WKR
Good to hear! Tells you a lot about the exo crew not rushing to get new items out and up for sale without proper field testing, by guys that will actually put them to the test. It is also cool that they give them to customers/friends to test them.

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
New color pack in the future guys? @Mark at EXO @S&S ARCHERY I am all for an all black Exo pack! 🔥🔥🔥
100% this!! I picked up the K4 frame back in Feb and have not bought a bag for it yet desperately waiting for different color way even if it special release only. They never shut down the idea in their podcast whenever it gets asked which keeps me hoping! To me the one pictured above almost looks like FL Cache pattern

WKR
Got my K4 a couple of days ago. Tried it on several times, both with and without weight and it's a very different experience than I expected.

The top of the lumbar pad pokes me in the lumbar paraspinal muscles, feels really weird.

I added 45 lbs to it today, which I thought might help get things to sit differently, but I can still feel the top of the lumbar pad.

It's a mild version of sleeping on a cheap hide-a-bed with the bar that pushes across your back throughout the night.

Anybody else?

The hip belt cushion is also super tall and it gets pretty close to hitting my lower ribs.

Iliac crest rides in the horizontal midline of the belt.

If I move the pack lower, where 2/3 of the belt is below iliac crest, the rib pressure and lumbar pad "poking" are mostly resolved, but then I get gluteal cramps from the belt pressure around working muscles.

I've never had any fit issues with a pack before and kind of assumed I had the very basic "fits all" type of body (6', 200 lbs, 32" waist, generically size L in everything) so this is unexpected.

It might just be an issue of something not working with my particular build, but that's never been the case with pretty much anything.

Wondering if I'm missing something.

Loving the bag layout, and accessories. Actually a huge fan of everything Exo so it's a bit of a bummer thus far.

huntnful

WKR
Got my K4 a couple of days ago. Tried it on several times, both with and without weight and it's a very different experience than I expected.

The top of the lumbar pad pokes me in the lumbar paraspinal muscles, feels really weird.

I added 45 lbs to it today, which I thought might help get things to sit differently, but I can still feel the top of the lumbar pad.

It's a mild version of sleeping on a cheap hide-a-bed with the bar that pushes across your back throughout the night.

Anybody else?

The hip belt cushion is also super tall and it gets pretty close to hitting my lower ribs.

If I move the pack lower, where 2/3 of the belt is below iliac crest, the rib pressure and lumbar pad "poking" are mostly resolved, but then I get gluteal cramps from the belt pressure around working muscles.

I've never had any fit issues with a pack before and kind of assumed I had the very basic "fits all" type of body (6', 200 lbs, 32" waist, generically size L in everything) so this is unexpected.

It might just be an issue of something not working with my particular build, but that's never been the case with pretty much anything.

Loving the bag layout, and accessories. Actually a huge fan of everything Exo so it's a bit of a bummer thus far.
Reach out to them about the fitment. But the lumbar needs to be broke in. They state that also. Stiff foam (so it doesn't break down as easily) which requires it to actually be broken in my weight and wearing.

Reactions: 307

Scooter88

FNG

Anybody else?

And if nothing else, worst case scenario you have 30 days to return.

TOLeary

WKR

I had the same exact experience and I’m 5’7” 160lb 32” waist. The K3 stiff lumbar pad fit better in the K4 because it’s 1” shorter but ultimately was less comfortable with weight. The K4 lumbar will break in pretty shortly after a few training sessions with weight.

I’m shorter so I expect this issue for me and surprised you have it. I ultimately deal with rib touch feeling and it’s a non issue when actually walking with weight.

Ive also found it’s most comfortable all around with the middle of the belt to be just above my iliac crest.