Exo Mountain K4?

Randle

WKR
Well my only purchase was the nalgene holder. I am at the point where my pop up frame with duplex belt works for my style of hunting. Dayhunts with maybe an overnighter.
I picked up the bottle holder because it holds its shape and holds the bottle with no strap.
Easy in , easy out.
It works on the duplex belt great .
Thanks Exo crew for making a better widget.
Outstanding job.

With the 6400, are you always filling it up or is there room for more typically? If you are unsure always go up. These bags make that an easy call with the compressibility

I’d size up unless you only do 3-4 day max hunts. Having the extra space is real nice on a 7+ day hunt where you’ve got a shit load of food etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My typical length is 3-4 days but I do an 8-9 day trip every year that can see cold/wet temps into the teens or lower. With my 6400 I can pack for the long trip with extra room and not using the lid.

However.... I think I would really be cramming stuff in to hit 10 days in cold wet weather with the 5000. Thoughts on that?

I doubt the size difference between 6400 and 7000 is that noticable, right?

twall13

WKR
My typical length is 3-4 days but I do an 8-9 day trip every year that can see cold/wet temps into the teens or lower. With my 6400 I can pack for the long trip with extra room and not using the lid.

However.... I think I would really be cramming stuff in to hit 10 days in cold wet weather with the 5000. Thoughts on that?

You could always stash a food bag between the bag and frame for your longer trip knowing it would only be for a few days and then you wouldn't need to use that space once you've eaten the food. Some people prefer not to use the load shelf that way but it's an option if you want the smaller bag for most of you hunts and you'd still get by just fine on the longer hunt once a year. I've gone back and forth but decided to go for the smaller bag this go around and use that option on the hunts I might need to pack more stuff.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if this is advised, but I was debating the same, ended up getting the 5000 and the matching dry bag. I'm going to see how it works to pack a few things in the bottom of my pack (like tent and sleeping bag) and then insert the dry bag and pack it full, so it extends out the top collar. May need some strap extensions for the lid, but thinking this may be a way to stretch the 5k pack for the rare week+ trips, but not have extra bag for the more regular shorter trips. Or if that doesn't work, pack a few things in the dry bag and carry it in the meat hauler/treat it like an extra game bag when I shoot something and am packing out. Perhaps none of these ideas will work, worst case scenario I'll just buy a second bag and use the same frame.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got mine and I was at 9:00:42 so hopefully yours it up maybe your co

I would buy the 3600 and before your long hunt save up and buy the 7000 bag only or find one used in here down the road.

I had zero issues fitting a 10 day sheep hunt in the 5k. Definitely had room to spare but I’m a frugal packer and don’t take what isn’t absolutely necessary. Weight will most likely be reduced as I don’t plan on carrying 24 rounds ammo, but will fly to basecamp w that many. Total weight w rifle will be 42.8lbs 202614CC-668E-4330-9A60-3CDB0D7B78F3.jpeg

At only 2oz more for the 7200 over 5000 the real debate here is do you need the horseshoe zipper. The bags will compress down, some extra space in the 7200 is definitely zero issue. I’m used to a kifaru Gnargali that doesn’t even have main bag zip access so I could really care less about the horseshoe zipper and the 7200 checks all my boxes. In my opinion sizing up is a safer bet, then if the extra material and size bugs you, sell it and get a 5000!

I can use it with my k2, but it’s a pain in the ass, only pack I have been able to get a bottle out of if I wasn’t dressed for cold weather, but half the time I couldn’t get it back in, so it’s a real smack in the face

The Nalgene holder they put on the k4 is the perfect solution, it’s a great accessory, so I can carry one somewhere in the bag, one in the holder and never consider a bladder again, but the bladder pocket is where my rain gear will live when I’m packing it, stretch pocket for my shelter when I’m carrying it. So the waterproof bladder pocket is still very useful to me.
I bought a stash pocket to put my keys and wallet to hang in the baldder pocket specifically. It's a good pocket for important things that you don't need falling out or getting in the way

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I bought a stash pocket to put my keys and wallet to hang in the baldder pocket specifically. It's a good pocket for important things that you don't need falling out or getting in the way

I like that stash pocket location as well. I have my kill kit there along with a garbage bag in the bottom. It is out of the way and you only need to access it after sweet sweet success.

That’s a good idea, and I should probably do the same, I have always kept my keys and wallet on me, just out of habit. Not a good habit, but a habit nonetheless

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Man y’all should be getting a commission! I’m a pretty die hard SG guy but am tempted every time I recheck this thread 😂 haven’t gotten me yet though…. Good looking pack!

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe it’s in here somewhere but Can I run a hip pouch and a nalgene holder on the same side?

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
At only 2oz more for the 7200 over 5000 the real debate here is do you need the horseshoe zipper. The bags will compress down, some extra space in the 7200 is definitely zero issue. I’m used to a kifaru Gnargali that doesn’t even have main bag zip access so I could really care less about the horseshoe zipper and the 7200 checks all my boxes. In my opinion sizing up is a safer bet, then if the extra material and size bugs you, sell it and get a 5000!

Agreed. I went from bigger bag (Sky archer 6200) to smaller bag (Goshawk 4800), and I'm happy to be going back to more CI. Still keeping the Goshawk w Merlin for a lightweight early season bag, but anything mid-late season I will always take the extra space, especially when going solo.

JD Jones

WKR

Consider this: you got the pack and the load shelf. I use a 5900 and when I need a little more food, enter the load shelf. 5900 quickly becomes 8000 ish

carter33

WKR
I got tired of the internal struggle and ordered both the 7200 and the 3600. My Problem Solved!
I started with the 7200 as I have a 10 day sheep hunt coming up. The 5000 would have probably worked but sometimes I don't like taking extra time to be meticulous though I understand there are some benefits to doing so. I will also be ordering a 3600 later on, seems like the perfect combo and the bag prices themselves are pretty reasonable.

Just wanted to initially say this is the most intuitive pack I’ve owned, I love and still own a SG, but the simplicity of the straps on this thing just make it super intuitive. I got my nalgene holder and hip pouch mounted up and then loaded my sandbag on the load shelf without having to refer to any of the how to videos. When it’s dark and rainy there’s nothing worse than fighting a pack that’s got a bunch of straps and unnecessary stuff going on.