Exo Mountain K4?

I like the auto locks they used. I’m usually not a fan of them, but the ones that came with the pack are very easy to operate bare handed and gloved. They do squeak a little when operating, but that may go away. I did notice that the regular buckles slide very easily. More so then the style that were on my K2, but they are a much beefier buckle which I like. I can see them slipping a little if there isn’t a lot of tension on them though. That may go away though once the straps get used and dirty. I think the fact that they gave the option to mix and match and include a set right off the bat is a nice touch. I’m really impressed with the new setup and can’t wait to put it to use.
I do like the design they offer over others I have used, I have just become so used to regular buckles, and have never had slipping issues… sometimes they will creep lashing a tripod or trekking poles, but I just do what Justin suggested and put one wrap around those items when needed.

I don’t think one is better than the other, I just personally prefer regular and know how to stop slipping when it’s needed. I may put the set of auto locks on the top middle where I cinch my tripod, just to give it a chance

SM1

FNG
RG 5000 for me.

Truly amazing to have a forum like this with the owners/designers and testers of pack who have provided us with so much helpful info. I can’t say I’ve seen anything like it with any other product ever.

Way to go EXO!
You guys knocked it out of the park!

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a few auto locks. But I’m hunting whitetail with climbing sticks and a treestand 95% of the time at home. Figured they may work pretty good for that.

I ordered a few auto locks. But I’m hunting whitetail with climbing sticks and a treestand 95% of the time at home. Figured they may work pretty good for that.
That’s a scenario that makes a lot of sense for auto locks, I may actually buy a set just for that when the cribs are available… still have not hunted out of a tree stand but I do have a climber and a set of sticks (try to decide on a hang on)

I bet they shine in that environment

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I like the auto locks they used. I’m usually not a fan of them, but the ones that came with the pack are very easy to operate bare handed and gloved. They do squeak a little when operating, but that may go away. I did notice that the regular buckles slide very easily. More so then the style that were on my K2, but they are a much beefier buckle which I like. I can see them slipping a little if there isn’t a lot of tension on them though. That may go away though once the straps get used and dirty. I think the fact that they gave the option to mix and match and include a set right off the bat is a nice touch. I’m really impressed with the new setup and can’t wait to put it to use.
I should have mentioned that in my review. The webbing is slick when new and slides through the buckles easily. A little blood/dirt fixes that right up.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a scenario that makes a lot of sense for auto locks, I may actually buy a set just for that when the cribs are available… still have not hunted out of a tree stand but I do have a climber and a set of sticks (try to decide on a hang on)

I bet they shine in that environment
I didn’t have to much of an issue with slipping with the k3 on my treestand but since the option is there to have them I’m gonna give them a go. Bet they will work great when strapping over bulky items like that.
There’s a lot of lock ons on the market right now. Too many options to choose from!

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhat of a silly tangent to this thread but here goes- how do you all fly (commercial, not backcountry) with your packs? Most of my hunts that I'll be using this pack on will involve a commercial flight to get there, so I am wondering what you all think about having the pack mostly empty/cinched down and attempting to carry it on the plane vs checking it as luggage? In my case I'll have a 5000 on a 26.5 frame, definitely pushing/exceeding the normal carry on limits (22 inches), but I've done it with a relatively full MR popup 38 before (though I collapsed the frame on that, can't on this one) And if you do check it, do you put it inside something else to keep the straps/belt contained? Or is this just a overthinking it question, just check the bag as is? I suppose getting it through TSA and then gate checking it could be a possibility too.

Somewhat of a silly tangent to this thread but here goes- how do you all fly (commercial, not backcountry) with your packs? Most of my hunts that I'll be using this pack on will involve a commercial flight to get there, so I am wondering what you all think about having the pack mostly empty/cinched down and attempting to carry it on the plane vs checking it as luggage? In my case I'll have a 5000 on a 26.5 frame, definitely pushing/exceeding the normal carry on limits (22 inches), but I've done it with a relatively full MR popup 38 before (though I collapsed the frame on that, can't on this one) And if you do check it, do you put it inside something else to keep the straps/belt contained? Or is this just a overthinking it question, just check the bag as is? I suppose getting it through TSA and then gate checking it could be a possibility too.

I have flown a lot with the packs and have not once been asked in the last 10 years to check the size of it. I always just have it 1/2 full and wear it onto the airplane.

If they did stop you and said it was too tall with your 26.5" stays you could simply just pull the stays out real quick, put them diagonally inside of the bag and then you would be good to go.

Last edited:

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I usually pack my pack ready to hunt other than optic's, put it in a large duffle, and then check it. I then put optics in a day pack and carry them on.

Just want to say you guys at EXO did a great job on the roll out of this new pack. I stated earlier in the thread that I had zero intention or need for a new pack, but reading this thread made me buy it.

The amount of prototyping, testing, r&d, changes made, and the several years spent to get it right really sold me on it.

The information in this thread made it clear that making the best pack possible was number one.

Then the description of when and how it would be for sale was very impressive. You didn’t want to even offer it for sale until you felt you had inventory on hand to actually fulfill orders.

I pretty much had to buy the pack just to support a company that did such a fantastic job developing and rolling out a new product.

Under promise and over deliver is one of my favorite philosophies in business.

I ordered a K4 5000 first thing Monday morning, and fed ex says I’ll have it tomorrow morning.

Great job guys!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have flown a lot with the packs and have not once been asked in the last 10 years to check the size of it. I always just have it 1/2 full and wear it onto the airplane.

If they did stop you and said it was too tall with your 26.5" stays you could simple just pull the stays out real quick, put them diagonally inside of the bag and then you would be good to go.
Pulling the stays is a badass idea, I had not thought of that. Never had a problem on domestic airlines, but have been checked on some budget airlines in Europe.

I guess at the point one is pulling the stays you could just role the frame panel and stick it in the maine bag if there was concerned for straps getting snagged.

I’ll be flying cross country with mine next week, never thought of pulling the stays. I’ll give that a shot if they don’t let it fly.

carter33

WKR
Just took my k4 7200 out this morning with about 50lbs for 4 miles, I have some experience with most brands but mostly with kifaru. I am not a practiced gear or pack reviewer but thought I would share a few initial impressions. Overall, though it's early, it the most comfortable and easily adjusted pack and as long as it maintains performance through heavy loads I am fairly certain it will be my go to pack. With so many good packs out there I believe any improvements are incremental, but in this case fairly noticeable for me at least and I would imagine for most others as well.

-The hip belt and lumbar pad is the biggest difference I noticed, it grabs very well and does not slip. Compared to others with the weight I had this morning I felt like I didn't have to tighten the belt quite as much to prevent slipping. That being said throughout the hike I did tighten and readjust straps, I always have with any pack though.
-The frame and stays seemed to stay in just in about perfect place whether I was standing straight up and down or leaning forward. Not sure the best way to describe it but it kind floats in contact with the back without applying pressure.
-I had gloves on and didn't spend a lot of time on this but I struggled to reach back and easily find the opening in the bottom stretch pockets. I have a bit of a beefier upper body and don't have the greatest shoulder flexibility. How I had the pack loaded with 40lb bag of salt in a contractor bag and a few other items could have made this difficult as well as I basically had the whole bottom cinched tight to keep the weight up higher.

rclouse79

WKR
Just took my k4 7200 out this morning with about 50lbs for 4 miles, I have some experience with most brands but mostly with kifaru. I am not a practiced gear or pack reviewer but thought I would share a few initial impressions. Overall, though it's early, it the most comfortable and easily adjusted pack and as long as it maintains performance through heavy loads I am fairly certain it will be my go to pack. With so many good packs out there I believe any improvements are incremental, but in this case fairly noticeable for me at least and I would imagine for most others as well.

-The hip belt and lumbar pad is the biggest difference I noticed, it grabs very well and does not slip. Compared to others with the weight I had this morning I felt like I didn't have to tighten the belt quite as much to prevent slipping. That being said throughout the hike I did tighten and readjust straps, I always have with any pack though.
-The frame and stays seemed to stay in just in about perfect place whether I was standing straight up and down or leaning forward. Not sure the best way to describe it but it kind floats in contact with the back without applying pressure.
-I had gloves on and didn't spend a lot of time on this but I struggled to reach back and easily find the opening in the bottom stretch pockets. I have a bit of a beefier upper body and don't have the greatest shoulder flexibility. How I had the pack loaded with 40lb bag of salt in a contractor bag and a few other items could have made this difficult as well as I basically had the whole bottom cinched tight to keep the weight up higher.
I almost dislocated my shoulder trying to reach back into the side pocket although I am old, not very flexible, and have long arms. I decided just to use them as storage for things I might want quick access to when I stop. Right now I have a baggie of wet wipes in one of them. It is fun to organize gear in a new pack after having the same one for so long.

prm

WKR
I can't use a nalgene pocket on any pack. Too far back to reach for me. I'd rather they put a zipper on top of it and I can use it for headlamps, gloves, water purification or whatever.

The bottle holder on the belt works perfect!