Exo Mountain K4?

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t remember the last time I was so excited to throw my money at a random product! Monday can’t come soon enough!

Nobody buy a 5000, 26” frame, large belt Fusion until I get my order in. M’kay thanks…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Just hope preorder opens before I’m in meetings all day. What was I thinking scheduling meetings on Monday.

I actually scheduled meeting breaks specifically for this. Can’t have my phone inside my building, so we schedule breaks within meetings. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear packs are showing up. I ordered my K4 Feb 2 at the Utah Expo, and still have not received a shipping notice. Sounds like I could have waited to order on Monday and get my pack the same time as everyone else.
I’ll have to call Exo and make sure they didn’t forget me.

K_pem

WKR
Good to hear packs are showing up. I ordered my K4 Feb 2 at the Utah Expo, and still have not received a shipping notice. Sounds like I could have waited to order on Monday and get my pack the same time as everyone else.
I’ll have to call Exo and make sure they didn’t forget me.
From what I was told, they were waiting on a large quantity of K4 5000 bags from the sew shop. I called and asked this week about when to expect mine to ship because Steve had mentioned on a podcast a hope of having all preorders out by Friday(the 24th). I expect they’ll all be shipping beginning of next week

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly day hunt from the road. I do some backpacking hunts 4-7 nights. I’m torn love the 3600 for day hunts but maybe the 5000 is the best bet?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You do know they are opening up preorders for rokslide a day early right?

You won’t be disappointed, I was able to sneak out for a lion hunt this afternoon and put in just over 8 miles an it was 34.2# per my scale (was just curious) it’s everything I expected/hoped it was, the new lower end of the frame is certainly my favorite of any I’ve worn. Looking forward to putting some real weight in it soon, but I’m really happy with it… I knew it was going to be a great pack, but man it’s comfortable.

Weather sucked, and I was stuck in rain gear all afternoon, but I had to get out and wear the pack for awhile, the exo team killed it with the k4

I do. I have both the K2 and K3. Love them both but happy to see a few of the changes in the K4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I mostly day hunt from the road. I do some backpacking hunts 4-7 nights. I’m torn love the 3600 for day hunts but maybe the 5000 is the best bet?

Thoughts?
If you need to ask, just get the 5000.

The K3 3200 works for 7 days for me, but that is not true for most. If you find it is larger than you want, add a day bag later when it is released.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
My 7200 should arrive Monday per the tracking info. I went with a coyote brown frame and hip belt accessories, and then a ranger green bag and lid. We will see how it turns out in person tomorrow! Hopefully this doesn’t offend BRtreedogs or give my pack any bad ju-ju 🤣

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
My 7200 should arrive Monday per the tracking info. I went with a coyote brown frame and hip belt accessories, and then a ranger green bag and lid. We will see how it turns out in person tomorrow! Hopefully this doesn’t offend BRtreedogs or give my pack any bad ju-ju 🤣
Luckiest pack I ever had was a ranger coyote hybrid! That pack color combo was so lucky that the bucks would hunt you!
I only ran it for 2 years to help preserve the wildlife in the areas I hunted.

PA100221.JPG
Screenshot_20230326_085901_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230326_085839_Gallery.jpg
IMG_20180917_113246_766.jpgIMG_20180501_064954_316.jpgIMG_20171029_215038_635.jpgIMG_20171127_101907_581.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_085352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_085352_Gallery.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 57

Thoughts?
This may not help much because I am not a backpacking super trooper. I live in the eastern half of the country and when I go hunting out west they are day trips from a drop camp I wanted a pack that I could use packing in even though it may never happen. Because I don't pack in, I do not own or can really afford all the ultralight gear that the guys are using as frequent pack in hunters. The gear I have or can afford will not be as light or compact, so I chose the 5000. One of my buddies bought a K3, I think they were 3600 cu inches. His pack after he put all his puffy type of gear in it looked like a stuffed sausage. It amazes me what some of the guys on this forum can do with the smaller packs, but I don't live and hunt where I can become that proficient, so I went a little bigger to make up for Skill, and equipment. Again, I am not an expert, but I think you have to be honest about your capabilities/equipment and might have to make adjustments.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
This may not help much because I am not a backpacking super trooper. I live in the eastern half of the country and when I go hunting out west they are day trips from a drop camp I wanted a pack that I could use packing in even though it may never happen. Because I don't pack in, I do not own or can really afford all the ultralight gear that the guys are using as frequent pack in hunters. The gear I have or can afford will not be as light or compact, so I chose the 5000. One of my buddies bought a K3, I think they were 3600 cu inches. His pack after he put all his puffy type of gear in it looked like a stuffed sausage. It amazes me what some of the guys on this forum can do with the smaller packs, but I don't live and hunt where I can become that proficient, so I went a little bigger to make up for Skill, and equipment. Again, I am not an expert, but I think you have to be honest about your capabilities/equipment and might have to make adjustments.
There's nothing wrong with this approach. Ultralight and compact gear is a luxury more than a necessity. Most of the stuff that people obsess over today didn't exist for backpackers to use as little as 10 years ago.

I have a question about the crib loader. I understand you want to keep the weight higher in the pack. So why is the bottom of the crib loader at the bottom of the frame? Would it be better to sinch down the bottom strap to move the weight up higher on the frame?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I have a question about the crib loader. I understand you want to keep the weight higher in the pack. So why is the bottom of the crib loader at the bottom of the frame? Would it be better to sinch down the bottom strap to move the weight up higher on the frame?
That would depend on load size. You may need all of the vertical real estate of your frame to fit a very large load. If you don't have that much weight you would definitely be more comfortable keeping it higher on the frame.

If you just had a couple quarters I would definitely load them heavy side up on the frame keeping the lower part of your crib or bag tight to the frame. if you are carrying four quarters you're going to need all the space you can get to attach them and still get the bag on.

DRUSS

WKR
Well said. Many things I've gotten in the last few years I already had. But newer stuff was more compact, and saved weight. About when I feel good about my setup, more innovation proves itself available. I know my sleeping system has gotten much more compact over the last 10 yrs!

choovhntr

WKR

I love using the crib to keep the weight high. Depending on the shape of the load I adjust. Typically what I do is lay the frame flat, lay the load at the height I would want, and wrap it with the crib adjusting the bottom with the two connection straps on the panel and then pull it tight using the two straps that connect back to the top. I then see where the panel straps sit. If it’s a long quarter usually the bottom strap can still go straight across and grab the load. If it’s higher or boned out meat where the bottom strap is too low, I criss cross the bottom and top straps to make an x across the load. Then the two straps that go back to the bag secure the rest. It’s always worked well for me.