Exo Mountain K4?

JDbon

FNG
That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I’ll have to go and measure my torso. The k2 feels good and I believe the length of the frame is 16-21”
I agree with Marbles, the amount of slippage has nothing to do with frame height. If your frame is 25" and it slips down you may be able to maintain functional load lifters for transferring the weight to the waist belt as opposed to a 22" frame that slips the same distance and has now transferred the weight fully to your shoulders.

With the k2 slipping on me, I thought that the frame might have been the issue of it being too big but it’s a known issue with certain body types. I’m considering the shortest version of the k4 which is 22”? That way it wouldn’t slip under load as much since it will be shorter. Wonder if that’s the correct route/concept to take.

I’m sure Steve will have videos and fitment videos in the coming weeks with the release.

As some of the guys mentioned the frame height is essentially completely unrelated to the frame slipping down on you. Its a combination of your body structure and the hipbelt / lower design that are the causes.

By lowering your shoulder harness you are just transferring more weight to your shoulders. That would help reduce the slipping but has the much worse negative consequence of that weight on your shoulders.

Your K2 frame has a 25" frame in it.

Steve, I assume the 3600 pack will be the one you use for most hunts? Although I just do not need 7000 plus of space, I find it interesting that it's only a 2oz weight penalty from the 5000 to the 7000 which aligns with the 4800 and 6400.

Yeah the 3600 covers me for just about any hunt I would do. For me it's pretty much the perfect bag size.

The weight difference between the 5000 and 7200 is so small because of the horseshoe zipper and internal pocket of the 5000. If we took those features out it would line up right in the middle between the 3600 and 7200.

Randy1833

FNG
Just cleared out my gear closet to make room for a K4. Was extremely happy with my K3, and I think the changes will address any concerns I had. Great job on the R&D. Any chance EXO will be heading north of the border in advance of the launch for some of us Canadians to take a look? Keep up the great work EXO.

Just cleared out my gear closet to make room for a K4. Was extremely happy with my K3, and I think the changes will address any concerns I had. Great job on the R&D. Any chance EXO will be heading north of the border in advance of the launch for some of us Canadians to take a look? Keep up the great work EXO.

Nothing in Canada for sure. Only thing North is I will be up in Anchorage at the Wild Sheep banquet in early March and will have some packs there.

Yeah the 3600 covers me for just about any hunt I would do. For me it's pretty much the perfect bag size.

The weight difference between the 5000 and 7200 is so small because of the horseshoe zipper and internal pocket of the 5000. If we took those features out it would line up right in the middle between the 3600 and 7200.
Do you think 7 days is to much for the 3600 considering ultra light gear: most of my trips r 3 - 5 days with one 7 day trip.

Ten Bears

WKR
the cold hard reality that it’s gonna be two months before I get my hands on this pack just hit me.

Steve you are one sick man for getting us all pumped up this early.

prm

WKR
Do you think 7 days is to much for the 3600 considering ultra light gear: most of my trips r 3 - 5 days with one 7 day trip.
My thinking is the load shelf is available for the pack in, if necessary. I can always have my sleeping bag on the bottom of the pack, and the heaviest gear on the load shelf in a bag. I have an OR 55L lightweight (3.5oz) bag I used to pack all my camp on the load shelf of a Kifaru Stryker. Note: I wasn't using anywhere near all 55L. No obvious reason I can't do the same with the K4, but with less on the load shelf given a larger pack bag of the 3600 K4 compared to the Stryker (1900ci). My prediction is the 3600 k4 will be easy for three days, fine for 5, a doable stretch for 7. Seven will require a dialed in system for volume. I'm just guessing! Will be interested in what Steve says.

svivian

WKR
Food will take up alot of space for a week long trip. I have done a week out of the old 3500 by putting food in a dry bag between the frame and pack on the way in. I can then easily hang it in a tree and after a week most of your food is gone leaving the load shelf to pack out an animal if you are hunting.

prm

WKR
With the 3600 I did 6 nights 7 days with an 88mm spotter and large tripod. As well as 8 (maybe even 9) liters of water for the hike in. All of it in the bag. Didn’t need to utilize the load shelf.
Nice!

My thinking is the load shelf is available for the pack in, if necessary. I can always have my sleeping bag on the bottom of the pack, and the heaviest gear on the load shelf in a bag. I have an OR 55L lightweight (3.5oz) bag I used to pack all my camp on the load shelf of a Kifaru Stryker. Note: I wasn't using anywhere near all 55L. No obvious reason I can't do the same with the K4, but with less on the load shelf given a larger pack bag of the 3600 K4 compared to the Stryker (1900ci). My prediction is the 3600 k4 will be easy for three days, fine for 5, a doable stretch for 7. Seven will require a dialed in system for volume. I'm just guessing! Will be interested in what Steve says.
Yeah, I've done 5 days in old 3500 and it was full. I did 7 nights this past year with 4800. I like the idea of the 3600, but probably will end up with the 5000.

sivart

WKR
I just prefer more capacity. I don't like to play tetrus every time I load the pack. I can make an argument that I need the 3600, the 5000, and the 2000. If I really end up liking this frame like I think I will, I may end up w/ 3 bags. FML

That question is just so heavily dependent on your gear and packing style. As a general rule if the average guy told me 7 days I would steer them towards the 5000.

The 3600 I would say is more suited for that 3-5 day range (average guy, average gear)

For my packing style I could easily get 10 days in freezing temps out of a 3600. I much prefer to have a smaller bag and have it full the first few days than have the extra weight / bulk of a bigger bag the entire trip.

Steve - Did you already post details about the bag options? (I didn't go back more than a few pages)
I know the sizes were posted, but I'm asking related to layout of the bags.

EDIT: went back many pages and found some pics. Thanks!

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Yeah Trent is about the worst case example of a guy a who gives two shits what his pack looks like while he’s hunting. One of those guys who just throws his pack on and goes. Half the time he doesn’t have any of the buckles strapped. I give him plenty of flack for it that’s for sure.

I did make some tweaks from the prototypes to finished product as well. The connection of the lid to the top of the frame is tighter.

Do Trent’s and Cory (from angry spike) have the same size lid? Latest release of ek101 sure looks like Cory lid is a perfect size and fits nice and snug