Exo Mountain K4?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've had one since last year. And got an updated one a few weeks ago. I think they're going to be very well received. The bags could change some between now and release but the frame is 100% dialed in.

View attachment 452327
I'm glad you chimed in since you have a bunch of time using this pack already. I'm looking forward to trying it out myself!

Drenalin

WKR
Any change in material from the K3 iteration? I love my Exo, but I'd like it to be a little lighter. I'd also like to be able to remove the lumbar pad entirely.

Is the method that the bags attach to the frame unchanged from the K3? I assume dimensions are approximately the same.

Basically, are there still straps coming off the frame for each attachment point, except for the bottom two which are webbing loops with a ladder lock?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any change in material from the K3 iteration? I love my Exo, but I'd like it to be a little lighter. I'd also like to be able to remove the lumbar pad entirely.
I'm not sure about that, and I don't know if we will have that answer until the final product is released.
Is the method that the bags attach to the frame unchanged from the K3? I assume dimensions are approximately the same.

Basically, are there still straps coming off the frame for each attachment point, except for the bottom two which are webbing loops with a ladder lock?
The new system attaches differently at the top, but there are still similar straps down the sides. I haven't checked to see if the old bags will work on the new frame and vice versa.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I have the prototype and will be taking it on a few hunts this fall. They haven't said yet when the final design will be done and released.

I just know they have quite a few out being tested for the season.

Some of the newer pack companies should take notes on how to do R&D prior to release instead of after......

View attachment 452246
The k4 is on over 3 years of r&d at this point. two or three dozen of us had them last year and there's a lot more prototypes out this year. The system itself is pretty much a final product now. Steve just wants to make sure there's no odd surprises in a larger sample size and get more opinions on some of the features he's changed.

@huntnful has the newest k4 to try this year also

Last edited:

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Materials are similar but the construction method is very different. It's a bit lighter. I can't remember the exact amount.

These were not made to be reverse compatable. We've made the old bags fit but you have to swap buckles and be ok with things being odd looking. Straps are in similar enough locations. The top lid connection is very different.

This is a ground up new frame design with improvements basically everywhere. In my opinion every single component of the new frame is better than its predecessor.

TheTone

WKR
Materials are similar but the construction method is very different. It's a bit lighter. I can't remember the exact amount.

These were not made to be reverse compatable. We've made the old bags fit but you have to swap buckles and be ok with things being odd looking. Straps are in similar enough locations. The top lid connection is very different.

This is a ground up new frame design with improvements basically everywhere. In my opinion every single component of the new frame is better than its predecessor.
Ugh! I really love my k3 I got a year ago and my wife would kill me if I went for a k4 when they come out

Hopefully the waistbelt is larger and easier to accept a Nalgene bottle.
I think the exo bags are better than kifaru but with a heavy load my kifaru packs are quite a bit more comfy. I hope the k4 is an improvement with heavy loads.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I hope the new bags are wider at the bottom. I am a k2 and k3 user and the bottom of the bags taper down to like 9” at thr bottom. Makes it tough to put a sleeping bag in a stuff sack sideways.
Steve does this on purpose to keep people from loading weight low where it will ride like shit then get on the internet and complain about how the pack rides. He also doesn't believe in stuff sacks.
Just don't use one and pack your sleeping bag loose so it can conform around the rest of your gear.

Steve does this on purpose to keep people from loading weight low where it will ride like shit then get on the internet and complain about how the pack rides. He also doesn't believe in stuff sacks.
Just don't use one and pack your sleeping bag loose so it can conform around the rest of your gear.

Easier said than done when sleeping bags are using lighter and lighter materials all the time. I wouldn't want mine riding up against my stove or freeze dried packs of food or something else that could rip it.

@Dioni A and @Justin Crossley

Is the water bladder pouch lined on both sides with the waterproof material on the new iteration?

I emailed the exo guys about that last year. About the only thing I dislike on my K3 is blood soaking through the frame side of that pouch onto my bladder.

Don’t take this the wrong way but I knew someone was going to say this…

In real world the taper doesn’t help as I noticed zero difference between Exo, Kifaru amd SG packs so the taper for me is more annoying. I tried not using stuff sacks and don’t like it. I use the compression stuff sacks and can get more room using them then stuffing loose and trying to fill every little nook and cranny. I definitely understand the logic behind it but in reality it just doesn’t help.

Easier said than done when sleeping bags are using lighter and lighter materials all the time. I wouldn't want mine riding up against my stove or freeze dried packs of food or something else that could rip it.
Use a larger lite weight dry bag that gives the sleeping bag room to conform but still has a protective barrier. I use a 50L no need to stuff and stuck the life out if your bag.

Use a larger lite weight dry bag that gives the sleeping bag room to conform but still has a protective barrier. I use a 50L no need to stuff and stuck the life out if your bag.

My bag goes in my pump sack. It's larger than needed.

I like my program just fine and don't plan on changing it; just pointing out the no stuff sack thing has often overlooked downsides.

Venom One

WKR
Any questions asking about specific components are going to have to wait. Things are still subject to change and I don't want to misinform anyone.

Can you comment on whether the frame has changed to address the issue of looking up while going uphill?

huntnful

WKR
Can’t get too crazy detailed, but it is SO legit. I have a K2 3500 and K3 4800 that I purchased on my own and used extensively. Those are great packs, and this is also a GREAT pack. It has already gotten, and will continue to get used and abused throughout the season. I can confirm it holds 133lbs quite nicely and having a locking buckle that goes around my tripod is super nice. But I damn sure wouldn’t want them, and don’t have them everywhere.