Exo Mountain K4?

Grooch611

FNG
Any updates on when the accessories will be released? The last podcast said Steve was working on the final rifle carrier design. Waiting on that and the crib panel. Would make my training hikes easier than using the bag.

I took my K4 7200 out yesterday on a 18+ mile hike with just the basics--water, first aid, water filter, food for two, stove, and fuel (maybe more than basics, I like a hot lunch)--and was not disappointed. It's truly remarkable how versatile the large bag and frame are. I could have used a smaller and lighter pack setup, but wanted the comfort offered by the K4.

Exo's externally accessible hydration sleeve was a huge boon on this particular hike, where I found myself filling up other hiker's water bottles from my MSR Dromedary bag multiple times. Honestly, I hadn't thought much of it until now.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Not necessarily. A wider, shorter pack of the same capacity would do.
It currently sits below the top of the frame, can't really make the main compartment shorter. The main bag is already pretty small. If he makes it a wider bag without reducing the main compartment you'd end up pretty close to a 3600 without a snow collar. It would weigh about the same if not more than the 3600 from the extra zippers. There's no other way to skin it. What your asking for is a bigger pack.

For all the people concerned about top pocket height, Steve has this addressed. It's functionally the same but looks better.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I failed at being a responsible adult and ordered the 3600 bag. The 7200 will do everything I need, I just like how the smaller bag keeps the load closer to my back. I cound get a week out of the K3 3200 with a lid and figure the K4 3600 hundred will fill almost all my needs while being more enjoyable to use than the K4 7200.

I though about trying the day pack, but I never wished for a smaller bag when using the 3200 as a day pack without a lid, so decided the 3600 was the best choice.

plebe

FNG
It currently sits below the top of the frame, can't really make the main compartment shorter. The main bag is already pretty small. If he makes it a wider bag without reducing the main compartment you'd end up pretty close to a 3600 without a snow collar. It would weigh about the same if not more than the 3600 from the extra zippers. There's no other way to skin it. What your asking for is a bigger pack.

For all the people concerned about top pocket height, Steve has this addressed. It's functionally the same but looks better.

My understanding is that Steve started with a K3 1800 bag and added to it. I believe he said as much in this thread. I presume much of the extra 400cu is a result of the Bino/Accessory pouch added atop that design.

That pouch does appear to extend above the stitching where the bag nests on top of the frame stays, at least in the pictures that were posted.

I think a top access pouch/accessory pocket is a nice option. However, it doesn't have to stick up or add capacity to the pack, were a different design employed. A bucket, a slot, etc.

That aside...

All of these packs are made to keep the center of mass of the load high, because there is a balance point at which they are most stable and most comfortable for most people. All of the bags are 10.5"wide, and just get slightly deeper and taller (at full capacity).

In the case of a smaller capacity bag, 2200ci-ish, a shorter bag could be made which would ride higher above the bottom of the frame, with the top of the bag remaining perpendicular to the apex of the stays. Such a design would still largely follow the philosophy of keeping the weight about where it is best suited, and some might prefer the arrangement of such a pack.

I happen to like the tab loops on the Seek Outside Revolution frame that allow for connections at different verticals.

Anyhow, I think we're not going to see drastic changes to the K4 2200 at this point and the current design will be well received with many many happy customers.

I don't expect Steve and crew to be able to accommodate every persons preferences.

Just, there's lots of ways to slice cake.

Attachments

• A9B44649-18F3-4A8F-93A0-7ED2BADF4531.jpeg
    A9B44649-18F3-4A8F-93A0-7ED2BADF4531.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 127

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
My understanding is that Steve started with a K3 1800 bag and added to it. I believe he said as much in this thread. I presume much of the extra 400cu is a result of the Bino/Accessory pouch added atop that design.

That pouch does appear to extend above the stitching where the bag nests on top of the frame stays, at least in the pictures that were posted.

I think a top access pouch/accessory pocket is a nice option. However, it doesn't have to stick up or add capacity to the pack, were a different design employed. A bucket, a slot, etc.

That aside...

All of these packs are made to keep the center of mass of the load high, because there is a balance point at which they are most stable and most comfortable for most people. All of the bags are 10.5"wide, and just get slightly deeper and taller (at full capacity).

In the case of a smaller capacity bag, 2200ci-ish, a shorter bag could be made which would ride higher above the bottom of the frame, with the top of the bag remaining perpendicular to the apex of the stays. Such a design would still largely follow the philosophy of keeping the weight about where it is best suited, and some might prefer the arrangement of such a pack.

I happen to like the tab loops on the Seek Outside Revolution frame that allow for connections at different verticals.

Anyhow, I think we're not going to see drastic changes to the K4 2200 at this point and the current design will be well received with many many happy customers.

I don't expect Steve and crew to be able to accommodate every persons preferences.

Just, there's lots of ways to slice cake.
The bag has been updated. The top pocket is now lower down the face of the bag. The main bag is roughly flush with the top of the frame.

Rob5589

WKR
Something to consider, those display manikins are very small when seen in person. So I wouldn't use those as a true life depiction.

twall13

WKR
I'm in the camp that is good with the pockets not being pleated on the smaller pack. If I pick it up, it's strictly for day use and I can't imagine needing to stuff the pack so full that I can't fit optics in the side pockets for that use case. Even on a winter hunt with puffy pants, etc. I won't have a full sleep system or multiple days of food so I'd rather keep the pack streamlined and as compact as possible. The idea that the pleated pockets will always have room for your spotter no matter what sounds nice, but I think in real world use it's just not an issue for the specific use case this pack is being designed for.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yes, June for 2200 and Crib. Rifle carrier will be a bit later...we are still at the mercy of some supply details that we are firming-up for that.

Would love to have the new rifle carrier by mid August. Headed to NV for sheep and hopefully first blood for the new K4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I know @S&S ARCHERY will be hopping in to share more details, but here are a couple of photos of Steve wearing the new 2200 on our bear hunt last week. This should give you a better idea for bag and top pocket height...

View attachment 558925
View attachment 558926

And, yes, @Up_A_Creek, side pockets are internal, not externally pleated.
Looks good. Can't tell for sure if the "lid" pocket is really lower or if the pic is just different, but it looks better here. As one who prefers to use the smallest viable pack, I will seriously consider one of these to go with my 3600.

Edit: Random thought for the day: Have you considered any different solid colors? Coyote is OK, but best suited to middle eastern deserts while in uniform. It kind of pops out in most places in my opinion. A more muted brown-ish color would be nice. something like this:
Color.jpg

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Yes, June for 2200 and Crib. Rifle carrier will be a bit later...we are still at the mercy of some supply details that we are firming-up for that.
Excellent.

While waiting on the supply chain for the rifle carrier - don’t forget to work on the in-betweener belt between the L and XL. There has to be others in my shoes out there.

Last edited:

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looks good. Can't tell for sure if the "lid" pocket is really lower or if the pic is just different, but it looks better here. As one who prefers to use the smallest viable pack, I will seriously consider one of these to go with my 3600.

Edit: Random thought for the day: Have you considered any different solid colors? Coyote is OK, but best suited to middle eastern deserts while in uniform. It kind of pops out in most places in my opinion. A more muted brown-ish color would be nice. something like this:
View attachment 558990
We would love to do a custom solid one day. I bet it'll happen eventually...we just need to find the time to perfect the process without any compromises.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would love to have the new rifle carrier by mid August. Headed to NV for sheep and hopefully first blood for the new K4.
Shouldn't be a problem. If guys have early sheep hunts and haven't seen the official release of the rifle carrier as those hunts get closer to starting, just reach out to us directly. For most general rifle hunts, production will definitely be ready.