Exo Mountain K4?

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Just to throw another accolade their way- I paid for the 2 day shipping option for my 5000 expecting it would take 3-4 like every other company I've tried.

Nope. It shipped within hours of me ordering and it got to Nova Scotia 2 days later. (Ordered wednesday, arrived friday).

Beyond impressed

lintond

WKR
**for anyone deciding between kifaru and exo**

For about 6wks I’ve been switching btwn my kifaru duplex lite w hoodlum and the exo k4 7200 on training hikes with 60lbs carried in the main bag (not using load shelves). Probably has come out to 20 miles with the exo on my back.

It was a toss up for the first few weeks being honest. The kifaru has molded to my body over time and just felt like a more natural fit. The thickness of the shoulder straps on the Exo behind my back made me feel like I was “turtling” a bit because it pushed the load further from my center of gravity. I do feel like the kifaru frame is a bit taller, or at least gives me a bit better load lifter angle although in practicality I don’t feel a difference in the 60lb weight range.

But after those first couple weeks I felt the exo starting to catch up in terms of comfort very similar to what Steve had mentioned in podcasts about the initial break on period. The shoulder straps on the exo curve perfectly over my shoulders where the kifaru flares up in the outside no matter what I do creating pressure points on my traps. The exo is so simple and clean in terms of design it’s just a pleasant pack to use and wear. This goes a long way for me. I don’t feel the turtling any more and the should straps may have started to compress a tad and mold to my body.

Most importantly, I’ve been paying close attention to slip and the K4 on my back definitely is more solid than the kifaru at this point. I say at this point because it’ll he he interesting to see how the foam and grip of the lumbar holds up over time. The fit and comfort of the hip belt and lumber are perfect for me.

After 6wks the kifaru is now on the classifieds and the K4 has earned its spot as my pack for this season. Looking forward to testing it out on a few high country CO/NM mule deer/elk hunts and summer scouting, a late season rifle coues AZ hunt and an archery Barbary hunt here in NM in January.

I have been in exploration mode this winter to see if anything was better for me then my Kifaru. I’ve run a Kifaru since 2013 starting with the bikini frame now the duplex lite. I’ve had man different bags. Love their gear, but as a “gear nerd” I was always curious if something else would fit my liking better.

Long story short I compared a SG Xcurve & K3 this winter to my current setup. I quickly ruled out the K3 as I didn’t love the lumbar pad. The SG ended up winning for me….then the K4 came out. Immediately I was impressed with the features of the bag and frame. I’ve been comparing the two and pretty sure I’ve settled on the K4 as my pack going forward. Had to switch to the 26.5 as the 25 was just a touch short for me.

Been very happy with the customer service too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sent back my 5000 bag to exchange for the 3600. After going to a quilt I can get a 7 day hunt in the 3600. I used to be on the bigger is better train, but Steve has changed my mind. Definitely move through country easier with a smaller pack that is closer to your back.

Its definitely not for everyone. Only way to make it work is to not use stuff sacks. I stuff my quilt and 2 person tent loose and just push it in all the empty space.

I have been in exploration mode this winter to see if anything was better for me then my Kifaru. I’ve run a Kifaru since 2013 starting with the bikini frame now the duplex lite. I’ve had man different bags. Love their gear, but as a “gear nerd” I was always curious if something else would fit my liking better.

Long story short I compared a SG Xcurve & K3 this winter to my current setup. I quickly ruled out the K3 as I didn’t love the lumbar pad. The SG ended up winning for me….then the K4 came out. Immediately I was impressed with the features of the bag and frame. I’ve been comparing the two and pretty sure I’ve settled on the K4 as my pack going forward. Had to switch to the 26.5 as the 25 was just a touch short for me.

Been very happy with the customer service too!

I carried Kifaru for a while too. Had several of their packs until I tried the XCurve. Sold the Kifarus and thought I’d found the one. I’d had a couple K3 packs but while very comfortable, I just couldn’t quite love them. SG was better than both. Then I had to try a K4. So now I don’t own a SG pack and I do own three K4 packs and frames. By far the best pack I’ve worn. Can’t wait for the upcoming accessories.

EXO customer service was always top notch and I like how professional they are and that they aren’t full of themselves. Seem like a bunch of guys you’d share a campfire and a beer with and tell stories.

Spiro

FNG
First day out with the k4 5000. Incredibly well built, felt great even while breaking it in with 35 pounds of weight.
5f64e14d19b73f33797961d479612270.jpg

Rob5589

WKR
Anyone get a hip belt with 2 female buckles? 😂View attachment 554445
Unfortunately, never had the game for two females....:cautious:

Anyway, had the opportunity to stop by the shop yesterday and see the K4 in person. Man, if I was a more prolific killer I would have bought one on the spot. I knew better than to try one on. It really is a smartly done pack. I got to meet Jake and Steve. Both were super friendly and helpful. I felt like a teenager meeting my favorite rock stars. Sorry guys if I seemed a little gushy:LOL: Funny part is I have kids older than Jake and probably close to Steve.

DRUSS

WKR
Not quite a final version, I am still debating a few of the pocket layouts but this is where it's at right now.

Capacity is right around 2200 ci.

Basically I took an 1800 extended the main horseshoe zipper up higher to allow room for a built in lid / pocket. I made the pocket padded and it will fit 18x56's perfectly.

Right now I have large internally pleated spotting scope pockets on both sides. I am debating just putting it on one side to shave some weight off of it. View attachment 550728View attachment 550729View attachment 550730View attachment 550731

What do you guys think?
Keep the pockets on both sides please.......

In love with the pack so far. Still micro adjusting trying to find the sweet spot. I'm not very good at it so it's taking me awhile.

Love the Nalgene placement, you don't even know it's there. One of the things i didn't like about myk3 and favored kifaru over was the Nalgene pocket.

My only gripe is there isn't a rifle holder yet and that's been a real pain. I'm really really hoping that it's as good and usable as the gun bearer on kifaru.

I hope there's a way to move the rifle carrier from the rear of the pack for hikes in/out to the hip belt for active hunting.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

In love with the pack so far. Still micro adjusting trying to find the sweet spot. I'm not very good at it so it's taking me awhile.

Love the Nalgene placement, you don't even know it's there. One of the things i didn't like about myk3 and favored kifaru over was the Nalgene pocket.

My only gripe is there isn't a rifle holder yet and that's been a real pain. I'm really really hoping that it's as good and usable as the gun bearer on kifaru.

I hope there's a way to move the rifle carrier from the rear of the pack for hikes in/out to the hip belt for active hunting.

For now I weaved a gun bearer (universal) through the molle slots and it’s been working well… not super pretty but it functions fine.

If theirs doesn’t work for me I’m going to sew something up using the bucket on the gun bearer, but I’m going to wait and hope the exo version works before hacking up the kifaru one

You legitimately don’t feel the weight of the rifle using that row of molle… never really bothered me on other packs but the k4 is a much better mousetrap, and I think it would bother me now😂

For now I weaved a gun bearer (universal) through the molle slots and it’s been working well… not super pretty but it functions fine.

If theirs doesn’t work for me I’m going to sew something up using the bucket on the gun bearer, but I’m going to wait and hope the exo version works before hacking up the kifaru one

You legitimately don’t feel the weight of the rifle using that row of molle… never really bothered me on other packs but the k4 is a much better mousetrap, and I think it would bother me now
If I had a universal gun bearer I'd do the same but I only have 2 of the kifaru only ones

PRC

FNG
I attached my slik sling to my k4 and it works perfectly. Had to double fold the buttstock carrier in order to weave through the nalgene holder but works great and a quick access in 3 seconds or less. The quick release upper strap weaved rt in the center load lifter buckle with ease.

Do a pair of 15s (or Maven 18x56s) fit in the lid of the exo pack? I'm debating between the 3600 and 2200 for 90% day hunt use, and want the ability to have quickly accessible spotter and/ or my 18s.

prm

WKR
Not quite a final version, I am still debating a few of the pocket layouts but this is where it's at right now.

Basically I took an 1800 extended the main horseshoe zipper up higher to allow room for a built in lid / pocket. I made the pocket padded and it will fit 18x56's perfectly.

Right now I have large internally pleated spotting scope pockets on both sides. I am debating just putting it on one side to shave some weight off of it. View attachment 550728View attachment 550729View attachment 550730View attachment 550731

What do you guys think?

Any updates? If you have 15s in that upper pocket, and the main bag is not full, it doesn’t seem like the top would have much support for the weight of the binos and they would flop around. Also, if the main bag is loaded that pocket placement places a heavy item away from the frame.
I feel that pocket needs to be inside closer to the frame. Almost swap the location of the zippers at the top. As the main zipper comes up it would go to roughly where the lid zipper is and the “lid” zipper, and pocket, would be moved in to roughly where the main zipper currently routes. Of course that messes up the concept of it being a lid. But is it a lid, or just another pocket? Just food for though. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

md126

WKR
The top zippered pocket on the K2 2000 was my favorite pocket on any of the bags.

I’d think keeping that same design but only bigger would be perfect.

bradslam

FNG

What do you guys think?
That top pocket sticks up way, way, way too high. For a daypack, I would prefer a lower, more streamlined bag (nothing above the frame), especially where I do most of my hunting in brush-filled Western Washington. Why not just have it like the K3 1800 where you have the option of running a lid if you want? Seems like it would accomplish the same thing. To be honest Steve, there’s no way I would buy that bag.