Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

Cquil7

FNG
Saw this browsing Rokslide a few days ago, and your post made me think of it. It’s not an answer to your question but seems like a great alternative if you can find a way to print/buy one.

Post in thread 'DIY projects thread'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/diy-projects-thread.282444/post-2939136
Thanks for sharing! That is pretty sweet. I don’t have a 3D printer but know some people that do. I’ll search around and see if anyone uploaded their plans online

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else think the K4 frame and suspension is starting to look a lot more like Kifaru? Bigger lumber pad and hip belt, molle accessory system, composite stays, etc. I think the packs are awesome but I couldn’t help but notice the similarities.
All I know is the kifaru slips off my hips like nobody’s business and the exo k4 locks right in and doesn’t move.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a good pack for a hot minute. Specifically joined this forum so I could get a used pack. Ended up having a few more shekels than I anticipated for pack budget and bought an EXO K4 based on the intel I gathered here...
holy crap this is an awesome pack.
I've spent a lot of my professional life humping ALICE and MOLLE rucks, and for recreation I was an Osprey guy. This Exo K4 is a complete game changer. I have never been able to lock in 75 plus pounds and go for a brisk hike, and then do it again the next day, and then again the next day with little to no pain in my feet/knees, until the K4 came into my life. The part that is crazy for me is the being able to lock that load in tight with literally no slippage or twisting of the load while walking/running.

NILowe

FNG
Anybody have experience with the k3 and k4? I have a k3 but it slips pretty bad when loaded heavy . Other than that I love it. Just curious if the k4 actually resolved that issue like I’ve heard.

WhiskeyDoc

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have experience with the k3 and k4? I have a k3 but it slips pretty bad when loaded heavy . Other than that I love it. Just curious if the k4 actually resolved that issue like I’ve heard.
It did for me. Sold my K3 on here. I didn’t have slipping issues until it was 60+lbs in the pack. But got the K4 after debating it a while. I’ve had no issues at all.

NILowe

FNG
It did for me. Sold my K3 on here. I didn’t have slipping issues until it was 60+lbs in the pack. But got the K4 after debating it a while. I’ve had no issues at all.
Good to hear I’m on the fence. I’m in the same boat the k3 is great until im packing out or doing multiple days. Trying to hold off a year so people will have more experience with them before I pull the trigger

pumaa7

FNG
Just got a k4 5000 and stoked to test it out this season! Hearing all good things. Love the organization of the bag and loaded with features

I have had a k3 in the past and the extra firm lumbar upgrade they sold fixed most of the slippage issue. I have a K4 now (and a kifaru tactical), It does appear to be the same foam type in the new K4 as in that K3 firm upgrade. It's a dual density foam that is firm on the frame side and soft on the back. The problem is I'm having slippage around 60lbs. Others have had this as well in the K4 thread that's 120+ pages. Some have added an extra shim to the pad to see if that helps. I'm currently experimenting with to see. I don't think this is some widespread issue or anything. I think it's more of a taste and body type issue for a select few of us.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never used the k3 but I will say a lot of pack slip off my hips too. The stone glacier and the exo k4 are the only two I’ve used that stay in place under heavy loads. I’ve hauled 120lbs in each for 5 miles.

I know when they built the k4 they specifically focused on the slipping issues of the k3.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a k3 in the past and the extra firm lumbar upgrade they sold fixed most of the slippage issue. I have a K4 now (and a kifaru tactical), It does appear to be the same foam type in the new K4 as in that K3 firm upgrade. It's a dual density foam that is firm on the frame side and soft on the back. The problem is I'm having slippage around 60lbs. Others have had this as well in the K4 thread that's 120+ pages. Some have added an extra shim to the pad to see if that helps. I'm currently experimenting with to see. I don't think this is some widespread issue or anything. I think it's more of a taste and body type issue for a select few of us.
One thing you could try is retro fitting the stone glacier lumbar pad to the k4. It’s pretty easy to do. The stone glacier pad grips like sandpaper. That’s good and bad. Under heavy loads it really chafes your lower back, but the sucker locks in place that’s for sure.

NILowe

FNG
I’ve never used the k3 but I will say a lot of pack slip off my hips too. The stone glacier and the exo k4 are the only two I’ve used that stay in place under heavy loads. I’ve hauled 120lbs in each for 5 miles.

I know when they built the k4 they specifically focused on the slipping issues of the k3.
Good to hear. I tried on a kifaru yesterday and it felt great as well

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear. I tried on a kifaru yesterday and it felt great as well
Nice! Before I bought my k4 I tried a buddies kifaru with weight and for whatever reason it slipped like crazy when I got more than 60lbs in it. I really liked everything else about it too.

It’s so hard to gauge because everyone’s bodies are so different. Definitely advantageous if you can try a few on with more than 60lbs before buying. Exo is nice because they have the 30 day window to return so you can buy it and try it with weight.

Dangit. Between this thread and my buddy just getting his k4 last week, I’m itching to snag one. I love my k3……maybe the wife needs the k4, LoL
I got my k3 last year and it's great but I want the k4 now...Lucky for me my son grew 5 inches since last year and my k3 can be fitted to him so he gets a hand me down k3 and I get to have a k4 😀😀😀

Great start to the season, packed meat in the EXO K4.20230916_130900.jpg

SROB34

FNG
Great start to the season, packed meat in the EXO K4.View attachment 603365

Which size K4 is that? 2200?

I'm thinking about a 3-4 day pack for rifle/archery solo hunting and trying to pick out the right size for that. Probably going with the 3600.