Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

JNDEER

WKR
Yeah a little goes a long ways on frame height. 1/2” doesn’t sound like much but that can significantly increase head clearance.
Would love to see a video or post on the best way to cut the stays and what exactly you have found works best or what you would recommend. My pack has been shipped and I am fairly sure I will need to trim it down some (.5”-1”) most likely.

Would love to see a video or post on the best way to cut the stays and what exactly you have found works best or what you would recommend. My pack has been shipped and I am fairly sure I will need to trim it down some (.5”-1”) most likely.

I’ll definitely get this done soon. We are all in the warehouse right now prioritizing getting the orders shipped out and as soon as we get caught up it’s on the short list to get done.

sr80

WKR
Its super easy, if you have a hacksaw, measuring tape, sharpie, and a file. I held mine gently in a vise, measured half an inch from the top, marked it with a sharpie, the hacksaw cut through very easily. Didnt chip or fray the stay at all. Filed the squared off corners and slid er back in.

Blackcow

WKR
I guess we’re all different. I don’t hate matching buckles, but I prefer them to be different from either the strap or the bag or both. I have bags and bags of ITW and duraflex buckles, and switch them out. I just like being able to find the stupid ends easily, especially on some of the strapier packs. My EMR2 drove me nuts.

prm

WKR
Confirmed. It all fits. Not going to suggest it fits easily because I used all the available space. I have the sleeping bag in a compression bag at the bottom, I would use the space better if I just stuffed it in the bottom without the compression bag. If necessary I can strap sleeping bag to bottom of pack freeing up quite a bit of space. Otherwise, I have a Seek BCS tent, a Ti stove, rain jacket, Kifaru LPP, extra base layer, socks, pack rain cover, pillow, sleeping pad, puffy gloves, extra socks, 10x ammo, Wyoming saw, charging pack, stove, fuel, spork, Ti pot, knife, kill kit, first aid, water purification, misc items bag, personal items bag, coffee cup, and 5 days of food. Only known missing item is my water bladder I carry in the event water is sparse.
I’m sure I’ll be able to pack it better with some fiddling around. I just tossed everything in.

0422D7C1-E494-4EF7-B380-7A953112FB29.jpeg

Last edited:
Confirmed. It all fits. Not going to suggest it fits easily because I used all the available space. I have the sleeping bag in a compression bag at the bottom, I would use the space better if I just stuffed it in the bottom without the compression bag. If necessary I can strap sleeping bag to bottom of pack freeing up quite a bit of space. Otherwise, I have a Seek BCS tent, a Ti stove, rain jacket, Kifaru LPP, extra base layer, socks, pack rain cover, pillow, sleeping pad, puffy gloves, extra socks, 10x ammo, Wyoming saw, charging pack, stove, fuel, spork, Ti pot, knife, kill kit, first aid, water purification, misc items bag, personal items bag, coffee cup, and 5 days of food. Only known missing item is my water bladder I carry in the event water is sparse.
I’m sure I’ll be able to pack it better with some fiddling around. I just tossed everything in.

View attachment 542402

Man I was going to go with 3600 and chickened out went with 5000. Main reason is I have at least one 7 night trip every year. I was worried 7 day trip would not fit in 3600.

prm

WKR
So, I decided to to go with my worst case scenario, it’s going to be really cold and I want my Woobie with me. That’s in addition to heated tent, Kifaru LPP jacket, Arc’teryx Atom, down gloves. Woobie is great for glassing, sitting, or wrapping around sleeping bag at night. Had to carry sleeping bag externally. I’ll play with those straps and perhaps add buckles. 36 pounds includes ammo but no rifle, water or clothes I’m wearing. The only missing item is my orange hat and light weight gloves which would go in lower pocket that is currently empty. I’ll take it for a 3.5mi hike this afternoon.
A 5000 would be easy but go against my preference to use the smallest viable pack. The initial hike in is the only time I need the full volume. If I really need more volume I also have an OR dry bag (~2oz) that I’ve used on the load shelf of other packs. Just put the heaviest items like tent, stove and some food in it and keep it close to frame. Easy!
2567DF81-D12F-4F4F-AD12-F65CCCDDC8E1.jpeg4B8DB0E5-29C2-4B44-AE5D-8689F161491A.jpeg

Last edited:
So, I decided to to go with my worst case scenario, it’s going to be really cold and I want my Woobie with me. That’s in addition to heated tent, Kifaru LPP jacket, Arc’teryx Atom, down gloves. Woobie is great for glassing, sitting, or wrapping around sleeping bag at night. Had to carry sleeping bag externally. I’ll play with those straps and perhaps add buckles. 36 pounds includes ammo but no rifle, water or clothes I’m wearing. The only missing item is my orange hat and light weight gloves which would go in lower pocket that is currently empty. I’ll take it for a 3.5mi hike this afternoon.
A 5000 would be easy but go against my preference to use the smallest viable pack. The initial hike in is the only time I need the full volume. If I really need more volume I also have an OR dry bag (~2oz) that I’ve used on the load shelf of other packs. Just put the heaviest items like tent, stove and some food in it and keep it close to frame. Easy!
View attachment 542469View attachment 542470
When you had sleeping bag in pack did you put it in long ways or stuff it in the bottom across?