Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

prm

WKR
Great report @prm

Thanks for sharing!

Do you not use a spotter and tripod or am I missing it?

I find myself in the timber more often than not. The area I hunted for a number of years had no good glassing points that could see into the area where I knew there were elk so I got used to finding the elk in the timber.
I do have 10x Swaros with me and they are enough to find elk. But each year I pack a tripod I never seem to use it. I keep saying I’ll do better with glassing…. I even had some 15s. But I wasn't using them and sold them.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I find myself in the timber more often than not. The area I hunted for a number of years had no good glassing points that could see into the area where I knew there were elk so I got used to finding the elk in the timber.
I do have 10x Swaros with me and they are enough to find elk. But each year I pack a tripod I never seem to use it. I keep saying I’ll do better with glassing…. I even had some 15s. But I wasn't using them and sold them.
I totally understand if you're primarily hunting elk.

Archery elk hunting is one of the only times I will leave mine at home as well. If it's a trophy tag, I still bring it since I may be doing more glassing.

Reactions: prm

twall13

WKR
Got everything in bags by using a dry bag on meat shelf. Tent, stove, and food against frame. Did 3.5mi today and will do again tomorrow in this config. View attachment 542547
This is how I plan to do it if I need a little more room in my 3600. Most of the time I should be good without using the load shelf but I can see myself using it occasionally.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
All this info is on the Exo website. just type in K4 in the search bar and you will find what your looking for.

It was reported on another forum that a 25" K4 frame with small belt and 3600 bag weighed 5lb 9oz without lid.

Exo's Website specs 5lb for that combination. It does not state frame height nor belt size.

There could be, of course, scale variance, but over 1/2lb, idk.

I don't think 5lb 9oz is heavy at all, but it's a fair ask, imo, what real world weights folks are seeing. Maybe it's been addressed in one of the other K4 threads. I'd like to have a clear grasp of it.

I've been interested in the K4 primarily for how the frame moves dynamically as well as lightweightness while still managing heavy loads well. I have a 24" Duplex Lite (Large/Long) that manages heavy loads well but is more rigid and...heavier? By what margin compared to a K4 w/ XL belt I wonder?

K4 clearly rocks, but it's great to have all the little details.

08glide

FNG
It was reported on another forum that a 25" K4 frame with small belt and 3600 bag weighed 5lb 9oz without lid.

Exo's Website specs 5lb for that combination. It does not state frame height nor belt size.

I don't think 5lb 9oz is heavy at all, but it's a fair ask, imo, what real world weights folks are seeing. Maybe it's been addressed in one of the other K4 threads. I'd like to have a clear grasp of it.

I've been interested in the K4 primarily for how the frame moves dynamically as well as lightweightness while still managing heavy loads well. I have a 24" Duplex Lite (Large/Long) that manages heavy loads well but is more rigid and...heavier? By what margin compared to a K4 w/ XL belt I wonder?

My K4 5000 with 2 hip belt pouches and a nalgene holder weighs 6.12 pounds (medium belt, 26.5 inch frame). My Kifaru 44 mag with a medium hip belt pouch, nalgene holder, and a sherman weighs 8.14 pounds (duplex lite, long shoulder straps, medium belt and 26 inch frame).

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
My K4 5000 with 2 hip belt pouches and a nalgene holder weighs 6.12 pounds (medium belt, 26.5 inch frame). My Kifaru 44 mag with a medium hip belt pouch, nalgene holder, and a sherman weighs 8.14 pounds (duplex lite, long shoulder straps, medium belt and 26 inch frame).

Thanks.

Is that with the lid?

The 5000 looks great with the horseshoe zipper.

dylsdad

FNG
I used one of the prototype K4 7200 packs all of last fall and just received the K4 3600 to review. Most of my experience that I'll talk about will be with the prototype, but we wanted the production model included as well so I can note some of the differences. My review will post at the time of the official launch in March.

***Update 3/28/23*** Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review

View attachment 515740

Let me know your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
Thanks for your review, it was very helpful....

Definitely something was off with whatever weight that person posted. Either the scale wasn't accurate or it had accessories on it that weren't mentioned, something along those lines. All of our posted weights are going to be +/- 2oz of what ships out to the customer. There is naturally some variation due to all the different materials used in a pack but definitely not 9oz.

All of our posted weights are with a 25" frame and small belt. A small belt by itself comes in at 14.8oz and all the way to the extreme an XL belt only adds 2oz to that.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely something was off with whatever weight that person posted. Either the scale wasn't accurate or it had accessories on it that weren't mentioned, something along those lines. All of our posted weights are going to be +/- 2oz of what ships out to the customer. There is naturally some variation due to all the different materials used in a pack but definitely not 9oz.

All of our posted weights are with a 25" frame and small belt. A small belt by itself comes in at 14.8oz and all the way to the extreme an XL belt only adds 2oz to that.

Brilliant. Many thanks for the reply and clearing it up with those details.

Should be 11-13 oz lighter than my DL then. I look forward to getting one.

WestTex

FNG
Dangit. Between this thread and my buddy just getting his k4 last week, I’m itching to snag one. I love my k3……maybe the wife needs the k4, LoL.

I used one of the prototype K4 7200 packs all of last fall and just received the K4 3600 to review. Most of my experience that I'll talk about will be with the prototype, but we wanted the production model included as well so I can note some of the differences. My review will post at the time of the official launch in March.

***Update 3/28/23*** Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review

View attachment 515740

Let me know your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.
Awesome review.… I was convinced on the Stone Glacier till now.

ale

FNG
Is it possible to go prone wearing one of these models on your back and still be able to look up without the lid preventing you fro tilting neck up? They look very tall from a size perspective.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is it possible to go prone wearing one of these models on your back and still be able to look up without the lid preventing you fro tilting neck up? They look very tall from a size perspective.
It certainly depends on the frame height you have, how you have the pack loaded, etc. If prone is your priority, you can select a frame height for that, and also adjust the frame in certain ways that will help for prone shooting. But to be clear, what is "ideal" for prone will never be ideal upright hiking and load-carriage. Give me a shout if you want to chat further about the intricacies of this.

Reactions: ale
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know of any pack that carries weight properly that will allow you to lay prone without head interference.

Cquil7

FNG
I know they just released. But any chance someone has tried fitting the garmin inreach messenger into the new inreach mini 2 shoulder pouch accessory? Love the messenger but still haven’t found the best carrying method besides sticking it inside the hip belt or lid. Either way it wouldn’t be getting the best sky view but at least it would be easily accessible.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I know they just released. But any chance someone has tried fitting the garmin inreach messenger into the new inreach mini 2 shoulder pouch accessory? Love the messenger but still haven’t found the best carrying method besides sticking it inside the hip belt or lid. Either way it wouldn’t be getting the best sky view but at least it would be easily accessible.

Saw this browsing Rokslide a few days ago, and your post made me think of it. It’s not an answer to your question but seems like a great alternative if you can find a way to print/buy one.

Post in thread 'DIY projects thread'
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/diy-projects-thread.282444/post-2939136