Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

TheViking

WKR
5000 is ideal for me. Big enough to pack in for 5-7 days and compacts fantastic for day hunts. I do love the horseshoe zipper and stretch panel on the back. I keep my snacks, beanie and gloves in there. The horseshoe is nice to open up and have quick access to all items in the bag.

Phil87

FNG
I'm torn between the 5000 and the 7200 as well. I have a 7 day sheep hunt in August and I'd like to use the pack for day hunts/weekends as well

TheViking

WKR
I'm torn between the 5000 and the 7200 as well. I have a 7 day sheep hunt in August and I'd like to use the pack for day hunts/weekends as well

If you pack efficiently and lightly, no reason you shouldn’t be able to use the 5000…my two cents. Depends on gear too.

EXO guys watching this thread and the debate on which bag to buy….. “Buy all three and you won’t have to choose!” $$$$
My next purchase is going to be the crib/pocket setup, I went with the 3600, it will serve most of my needs (used to the 3500 k1&2 bag)

If I get a longer backpack trip in cooler weather on the horizon, I’ll probably get a 7200, but I decided to go with my favorite size bag in the past.

My sleeping bag and food are the only 2 space hogs in my setup, and could probably kill 2 birds with one stone getting a down bag for colder camping.

The only cold weather hunting I really do is spring turkey in the blue mountains, but I can sleep pretty comfortably down to low 20’s in my slick bag, but it’s bulky.

Kinda plotting on a WM or FF 10-ish degree bag. I’m 6’ and skinny so standard size bags work for me, and I don’t mind not having extra room… years of sleeping on little narrow bunks on boats has made me a non picky sleeper, as long as I’m not freezing, I’m good to go

tracker12

WKR
View attachment 517560

This is all the stuff I would take on an early-season deer hunt if expecting good weather.
In the main bag:
Kuiu 1P Tent
30* Zpacks quilt
Thermarest Neoair Uberlight pad
Air Pillow
Arc'teryx Puffy
Sitka Ambient Jacket
Kuiu Zip long-johns
Sitka rain jacket (Don't think they make it anymore)
Extra socks
Merino Gloves
Beanie
Jetboil and spoon
Kill Kit
Sawyer squeeze mini water filter with two 64 oz bags
Shooting bag
Bullets
Battery Pack
A pillow was used in place of the food I would pack for 5 days.

View attachment 517561

View attachment 517562

In the side pockets:
Swaro 20-60x80mm ATS Spotter
Gitzo tripod
Spartan Davros Head
Spartan Bipod
TP

View attachment 517563

In the lid and belt pouch:
Novagrade Digiscoping adapter
Tyto knife
Headlamp
First aid and possibles pouch

View attachment 517564
what's there total weight of this load

JNDEER

WKR
View attachment 517560

This is all the stuff I would take on an early-season deer hunt if expecting good weather.
In the main bag:
Kuiu 1P Tent
30* Zpacks quilt
Air Pillow
Arc'teryx Puffy
Sitka Ambient Jacket
Kuiu Zip long-johns
Extra socks
Merino Gloves
Beanie
Jetboil and spoon
Kill Kit
Shooting bag
Bullets
Battery Pack

View attachment 517561

View attachment 517562

In the side pockets:
Gitzo tripod
Spartan Davros Head
Spartan Bipod
TP

View attachment 517563

Tyto knife
Headlamp

View attachment 517564
On the side pockets - can you fit more gear in them besides spotter and tripod? The old gen1 5500 and k2 3000 bags I could put a LOT of gear with spotter and tripod and it looks like these side pockets area really only meant for tripod and spotter with not a crazy amount of room left?

For example- I could put my game bags, knives, stove/cup, emergency kit (size of a pull out), katadyn filter and a 65mm spotter in one side pocket.

From all the videos and pics it looks like everything needs to be as round as a spotter diameter - especially if the bag is full??

I ask because I want the 3600 cause I do more day hunts- but it may be too small for multi hunts with my normal gear and would force me to the 5000.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
On the side pockets - can you fit more gear in them besides spotter and tripod? The old gen1 5500 and k2 3000 bags I could put a LOT of gear with spotter and tripod and it looks like these side pockets area really only meant for tripod and spotter with not a crazy amount of room left?

For example- I could put my game bags, knives, stove/cup, emergency kit (size of a pull out), katadyn filter and a 65mm spotter in one side pocket.

From all the videos and pics it looks like everything needs to be as round as a spotter diameter - especially if the bag is full??

I ask because I want the 3600 cause I do more day hunts- but it may be too small for multi hunts with my normal gear and would force me to the 5000.

The new side pockets are quite a bit bigger than the old ones.

JNDEER

WKR
The new side pockets are quite a bit bigger than the old ones.
Just to clarify- when you say “bigger” do you mean they will hold the items in my example if the bag is full OR are you saying that they literally are bigger simply (longer and wider)?

The video of the 3600 when Steve puts the 65 in the pocket and zips it up simply with an air bag in the main compartment - to me it surely doesn’t look like I could add/put the items i historically put in the side pockets.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Just to clarify- when you say “bigger” do you mean they will hold the items in my example if the bag is full OR are you saying that they literally are bigger simply (longer and wider)?

The video of the 3600 when Steve puts the 65 in the pocket and zips it up simply with an air bag in the main compartment - to me it surely doesn’t look like I could add/put the items i historically put in the side pockets.

This all easily fit and zipped closed in one side pocket.
Edit to add-For whatever reason the new pockets are much less affected by the bag being full.

20230326_094905.jpg20230326_094951.jpg

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
This all easily fit and zipped closed in one side pocket.
Edit to add-For whatever reason the new pockets are much less affected by the bag being full.

View attachment 535249View attachment 535250
Thank you for taking the time to grab that stuff and provide a photo- I appreciate it.

That is exactly what I needed to see- and honestly in all the videos, pics and YouTube sneak peeks I didn’t think it could hold that much.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Any luck on the K4 fitting on a Kifaru frame?
The K4 bags will not work well on a Kifaru frame. I don't see a good way to attach the top since the Exo will not go over the Kifaru frame.

On the flip side, if anyone decided they wanted to put a Kifaru bag on the K4 frame, that looks like it will work just fine.

JNDEER

WKR
A few people have asked how the frame heights compare between Kifaru and Exo.

This is the 26.5" K4 next to the 26" Hunter frame. The K4 is almost exactly half an inch taller.

View attachment 535320
When wearing both with some weight in the pack- do they sit the same on your body?? The K4 appears to naturally sit higher then where a kifaru sits- Atleast where the kifaru sits on me.

I am just shy of 6’ and body measures a 32” inseam. I am pear shaped at 205# but wear a custom “marge” kifaru belt and the 26” kifaru frame fits better then the 24” (which actually measures more like a 25”)

I got the belt dialed for the EXO- however I am torn on which frame height or if I look at ordering a custom 26” and cut it down more if I need.

Sorry- rambling and I will probably have to email EXO- but been using the kifaru lately so it’s nice to see someone who has direct experience with it to ask for comparison

Thanks for the review. I haven’t had the chance to checkout the K4 in person. I’ve been running a Kifaru setup the last several seasons. I’m wondering what your opinion is between the k4 and Kifaru. I’m debating whether or not to make the jump from my Kifaru setup to the K4. Anyone’s input is welcome. Thanks!

MR139

FNG
View attachment 517560

In the main bag:
Kuiu 1P Tent
30* Zpacks quilt
Air Pillow
Arc'teryx Puffy
Sitka Ambient Jacket
Kuiu Zip long-johns
Extra socks
Merino Gloves
Beanie
Jetboil and spoon
Kill Kit
Shooting bag
Bullets
Battery Pack

View attachment 517561

View attachment 517562

In the side pockets:
Gitzo tripod
Spartan Davros Head
Spartan Bipod
TP

View attachment 517563

Tyto knife
Headlamp

View attachment 517564
What was the thought process in changing the design of the side pockets from the k3? I liked how they went all the way up

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
When wearing both with some weight in the pack- do they sit the same on your body?? The K4 appears to naturally sit higher then where a kifaru sits- Atleast where the kifaru sits on me.

I am just shy of 6’ and body measures a 32” inseam. I am pear shaped at 205# but wear a custom “marge” kifaru belt and the 26” kifaru frame fits better then the 24” (which actually measures more like a 25”)

I got the belt dialed for the EXO- however I am torn on which frame height or if I look at ordering a custom 26” and cut it down more if I need.

Sorry- rambling and I will probably have to email EXO- but been using the kifaru lately so it’s nice to see someone who has direct experience with it to ask for comparison

I would say they sit about the same on me. For your height, I would recommend the 26.5" frame.

Thanks for the review. I haven’t had the chance to checkout the K4 in person. I’ve been running a Kifaru setup the last several seasons. I’m wondering what your opinion is between the k4 and Kifaru. I’m debating whether or not to make the jump from my Kifaru setup to the K4. Anyone’s input is welcome. Thanks!

If the Kifaru is working for you, I see no reason to change. If you didn't have a pack already, I would recommend trying both with weight to see which you prefer.

What was the thought process in changing the design of the side pockets from the k3? I liked how they went all the way up
I'm not quite sure what you mean. The K4 side pockets are bigger than previous EXO packs.