Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The K4 bags will not work well on a Kifaru frame. I don't see a good way to attach the top since the Exo will not go over the Kifaru frame.

On the flip side, if anyone decided they wanted to put a Kifaru bag on the K4 frame, that looks like it will work just fine.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

choovhntr

WKR
I purchased them all at one point (k2 generation) and honestly it was really tough to pick one. The kifaru belt and build quality to me was the best, but I actually kept the exo because it kept heavy weight up higher for my build. I just sold that pack for the k4 because it’s even better for me. Honestly with no weight the kifaru belt still feels better. They have that thing dialed! But the k4 keeps the weight up high and the pack just contorts to my back better. As an all around piece of gear that just works, the exo wins out to me. If I were a moose guide hauling heavy loads consistently, I would choose the kifaru tactical frame. It just feels super solid. Take into account I have no experience with exo’s new one, mine is being delivered tomorrow ;), but it’s pretty impressive. For me the exo just was a better all around pack for the type of hunting I do. I will say again though… kifaru build quality is number one. When you pick it up, you just say “whoa! now I get what all hype is about”. Long story short try them all if you can. If not… pick the best stay height and bag layout for the type of hunting you do. They are all very good!

choovhntr

WKR
I purchased them all at one point (k2 generation) and honestly it was really tough to pick one. The kifaru belt and build quality to me was the best, but I actually kept the exo because it kept heavy weight up higher for my build. I just sold that pack for the k4 because it’s even better for me. Honestly with no weight the kifaru belt still feels better. They have that thing dialed! But the k4 keeps the weight up high and the pack just contorts to my back better. As an all around piece of gear that just works, the exo wins out to me. If I were a moose guide hauling heavy loads consistently, I would choose the kifaru tactical frame. It just feels super solid. Take into account I have no experience with exo’s new one, mine is being delivered tomorrow ;), but it’s pretty impressive. For me the exo just was a better all around pack for the type of hunting I do. I will say again though… kifaru build quality is number one. When you pick it up, you just say “whoa! now I get what all hype is about”. Long story short try them all if you can. If not… pick the best stay height and bag layout for the type of hunting you do. They are all very good!

Well I just received my K4 today and I gotta say I am impressed! It’s even better than I remembered at the show. Exo has definitely stepped up their game on what was already a great bag since the K2. Everything is better and the build quality is right there with kifaru as far as zippers, buckles, and just the feel of the pack goes. I retract my previous statement about wanting an heavier duty pack for big loads, and will say that I don’t know if there is a better pack out there now no matter what your hauling. They crushed it with this new system! Can’t wait to fill it up and put it through the paces

TheHammer

WKR
Any improvements made to the inside of the main compartment for modularity/organization? All
These awesome pics and descriptions, but I haven’t seen the inside. Thanks for all the replies and the review.

Any improvements made to the inside of the main compartment for modularity/organization? All
These awesome pics and descriptions, but I haven’t seen the inside. Thanks for all the replies and the review.
Not much to say on the inside of an exo.
Less is more.
They have the stash pocket system and the 4800 has a pocket on the inside of the horse shoe flap.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Inside is still very simple which I like.

Can you get a 32 oz Nalgene back in the water bottle holder with the pack on and without much difficulty?
Very easily. It's in a great location.

Excellent review Justin👍

It’s also great to see exo have such a hugely successful product launch with the k4, and despite everything, they kept their prices very reasonable, I might buy another whole pack on a 24.5” frame for certain hunts, and their prices are realistic enough for me to justify it… kind of surprised they were able to keep the prices as they are considering what you get with the k4 and economy/supply hurdles currently.

Every time these guys change frames there are issues. The K4 is starting to look a whole lot like the KUIU carbon fiber frame…

twall13

WKR
Every time these guys change frames there are issues. The K4 is starting to look a whole lot like the KUIU carbon fiber frame…
I initially had concerns about them moving to carbon but after seeing the frame stays in person I have zero hesitation now. It's not even close to the same thing as Kuiu's old carbon frame sheet that had issues. Very different design and the stays are plenty beefy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Read1t48

WKR
They sent out 150 packs to testers. (I wasn’t one of them). They listened and made tweaks to get to the final product. The cost of sending out 150 packs and going through this process was a significant investment in money and time. Their thoroughness and attention to detail will likely keep any significant issues from occurring on a mass scale. I have seen and tried the pack on in person. It is impressive and I plan to order one.

Not only are you incorrect, you're also not adding value with this comment.
Maybe…I am on the record on this site with Mark stating it was a mistake to switch from titanium to aluminum. I was super bummed when they did it and was glad they switched back. Reality is they went to carbon fiber because it was cheaper. I hope it works out for them. Their titanium frames were awesome. Whether or not somebody adds value is subjective. I have experience with their packs, I should be allowed to state my opinion whether you like it or not.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe…I am on the record on this site with Mark stating it was a mistake to switch from titanium to aluminum. I was super bummed when they did it and was glad they switched back. Reality is they went to carbon fiber because it was cheaper. I hope it works out for them. Their titanium frames were awesome. Whether or not somebody adds value is subjective. I have experience with their packs, I should be allowed to state my opinion whether you like it or not.
To clarify, the change to CF had nothing to do with cost, or the fact that we felt it was better/worse than Ti in general. The reason we changed was because Ti didn't work for the specific frame concept/design/geometry that we ultimately ended up using with K4.

We started with a blank slate when designing K4. After testing and refining design concepts, then we selected the material that worked best for the specific application in the design. We used Ti, AI, and CF in a ton of prototyping and testing. You can see some glimpses of that in the concepts we've shared about the development of K4: https://exomtngear.com/design