Exercise reduces depression

Beendare

WKR
I think many of us that workout regularly intuitively know this but now multiple randomized studies confirm that exercise is one of the best treatments for depression…,
Study is HERE at the BMJ.com website

Commentary on Zero Hedge;

Key Findings​

They found that walking or jogging, yoga, strength training, and dancing were the most effective exercise modalities when used alone without medical treatment, and that certain exercises affected men and women differently. Notably, walking and jogging were effective for both men and women, while strength training and cycling were more effective for women and younger people. Yoga and qigong were more effective for men and older adults, while aerobic exercise positively impacted men more than women when used with psychotherapy.

Across all modalities, more intense exercise such as running, interval training, strength training, and mixed aerobic exercise yielded greater benefits, although even light physical activity such as walking or hatha yoga still provided “clinically meaningful effects.” The benefits of exercise were equally effective at different weekly doses for those with other medical conditions and baseline levels of depression.

Overall, dance outperformed all other exercises and established treatments for depression, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and cognitive behavioral therapy.
————-

Cut and paste from a section of the study itself;

Results 218 unique studies with a total of 495 arms and 14 170 participants were included. Compared with active controls (eg, usual care, placebo tablet), moderate reductions in depression were found for walking or jogging (n=1210, κ=51, Hedges’ g −0.62, 95% credible interval −0.80 to −0.45), yoga (n=1047, κ=33, g −0.55, −0.73 to −0.36), strength training (n=643, κ=22, g −0.49, −0.69 to −0.29), mixed aerobic exercises (n=1286, κ=51, g −0.43, −0.61 to −0.24), and tai chi or qigong (n=343, κ=12, g −0.42, −0.65 to −0.21).

The effects of exercise were proportional to the intensity prescribed. Strength training and yoga appeared to be the most acceptable modalities. Results appeared robust to publication bias, but only one study met the Cochrane criteria for low risk of bias. As a result, confidence in accordance with CINeMA was low for walking or jogging and very low for other treatments.

Conclusions Exercise is an effective treatment for depression, with walking or jogging, yoga, and strength training more effective than other exercises, particularly when intense. Yoga and strength training were well tolerated compared with other treatments.

Exercise appeared equally effective for people with and without comorbidities and with different baseline levels of depression. To mitigate expectancy effects, future studies could aim to blind participants and staff. These forms of exercise could be considered alongside psychotherapy and antidepressants as core treatments for depression.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think many of us that workout regularly intuitively know this but now multiple randomized studies confirm that exercise is one of the best treatments for depression…,
Study is HERE at the BMJ.com website

Commentary on Zero Hedge;

Key Findings​

They found that walking or jogging, yoga, strength training, and dancing were the most effective exercise modalities when used alone without medical treatment, and that certain exercises affected men and women differently. Notably, walking and jogging were effective for both men and women, while strength training and cycling were more effective for women and younger people. Yoga and qigong were more effective for men and older adults, while aerobic exercise positively impacted men more than women when used with psychotherapy.

Across all modalities, more intense exercise such as running, interval training, strength training, and mixed aerobic exercise yielded greater benefits, although even light physical activity such as walking or hatha yoga still provided “clinically meaningful effects.” The benefits of exercise were equally effective at different weekly doses for those with other medical conditions and baseline levels of depression.

Overall, dance outperformed all other exercises and established treatments for depression, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and cognitive behavioral therapy.
————-

Cut and paste from a section of the study itself;

Results 218 unique studies with a total of 495 arms and 14 170 participants were included. Compared with active controls (eg, usual care, placebo tablet), moderate reductions in depression were found for walking or jogging (n=1210, κ=51, Hedges’ g −0.62, 95% credible interval −0.80 to −0.45), yoga (n=1047, κ=33, g −0.55, −0.73 to −0.36), strength training (n=643, κ=22, g −0.49, −0.69 to −0.29), mixed aerobic exercises (n=1286, κ=51, g −0.43, −0.61 to −0.24), and tai chi or qigong (n=343, κ=12, g −0.42, −0.65 to −0.21).

The effects of exercise were proportional to the intensity prescribed. Strength training and yoga appeared to be the most acceptable modalities. Results appeared robust to publication bias, but only one study met the Cochrane criteria for low risk of bias. As a result, confidence in accordance with CINeMA was low for walking or jogging and very low for other treatments.

Conclusions Exercise is an effective treatment for depression, with walking or jogging, yoga, and strength training more effective than other exercises, particularly when intense. Yoga and strength training were well tolerated compared with other treatments.

Exercise appeared equally effective for people with and without comorbidities and with different baseline levels of depression. To mitigate expectancy effects, future studies could aim to blind participants and staff. These forms of exercise could be considered alongside psychotherapy and antidepressants as core treatments for depression.
for sure buddy, we see it every day for 30 years working in a health club. The members just tell us!

We were made to move and decline physically and mentally when we don't

dtrkyman

WKR
I generally do not do well being still! As I sit on my arse tying this :ROFLMAO:

Lack of physical activity and I go off the rails, sleep is terrible, mood swings and just generally irritable!

grfox92

WKR
If I ever start feeling anxious or depressed I go and hammer out a 4 mile run or beat the hell out of myself in the gym for an hour. Just like that, I feel all better.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

i dunno....i ran this morning but when i got out of the shower i was depressed to realize i still had to go to work.

someone needs to fund a study to subsidize me to stay home and let me fill out some surveys. hell, i'd even take dance lessons again, for science. (because when i tried swing dance lessons "for fun" it was an abject failure).

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
As a young man (29) who has been lifting every day pretty much for the past 10 years I agree. I have a buddy who used to lift with me and since we have moved away from each other and he has fallen of the wagon I can say their is a difference in our mentalities day in and day out. I keep trying to push him to lift and get back into it because a lot of our daily conversations are how depressed he is and how tired he is of the same ole same ole. I keep encouraging him to get back into it and get after it.

Something more recently that I started doing is a cold plunge and that makes me feel incredible after. Gets the endorphins going.

Turns out, its smart advice to “get out and do it”

I wonder if the reason so many kids are depressed is because they are plugged into their phones all day and not getting out exercising more?

Its not the plugged in part, its that they aren't engaged with something that is challenging their bodies and their mind. When you aren't challenged on a daily basis, you get inside your own head. The more you're inside your own head, you start negative reinforcement of things you don't like and it becomes a self feeding process.

Hence an idle mind is the devils workshop

Between having a bird dog that needs an hour plus of exercise daily plus wanting to be able to continue to bowhunt the mountains through my '70's, I stay active.

An occasional tune-up at the physio for some new exercises helps when I get a nagging sore knee or hip too.

On a side note, the mentality that there is a magic pill to fix your problems is truly a cultural. Overheard a conversation on the elevator last week. One woman was telling another that she was spending too much time in the gym. The response was "its how I deal with stress". The other woman responded "But why? Your Dr. can give you a perscription for that"

there was no laughter or joking.. it was a serious conversation.

rclouse79

WKR
This is why hunting is crucial for my physical and mental health. Getting physically ready for spring and fall hunts keeps me in decent shape year-round. I decided today to start ramping up for archery season and drug my big truck tire loaded with 50 lbs of rock salt around the block a couple times. I feel great after knocking that out.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I am surprised they do not mention swimming. One hour in the pool is very therapeutic. Many PT recommend swimming as one of the best options, don’t get the body pounding that running/jogging causes.

Q child

WKR
You're right. That does seem intuitive to me, but it's still interesting to see some real data. It's a double edge sword though isn't it? The good news is that depression can be overcome with work. The bad news is that when I'm depressed I don't have the will to do the work.
Yesterday I was a miserable SOB. Anxious and easily frustrated and just pissed off. I forced myself to go running for the first time in over a week and it completely turned me around. I was smiling and social afterwards. I made healthy food choices afterwards and went to be early and slept a full night. Feeling pretty good today. Going running after work.

KsRancher

WKR
My oldest son was a chunkier kid the beginning of his 8th grade year. He started to get depressed about it so he all but quit eating. Helped with the weight but made the depression worse. Got him into a dietician and some other help. He started exercising at the advice of the Dr. That was 3yrs ago. He just got done with state track in the 2 mile a week ago. Then done a 35mile run with a buddy from a neighbor school. Running REALLY keeps him on track. He and his brother hit the gym to lift a few times a week. It's flat out amazing what it's done for him.