Excessive pressure from primer switch

Should tell you in your manual when ever you differ from the components given back up a certain percentage and start over. I change to any primer I want I simply back up a few grains of powder and start over watching for pressure. I use data for one brand of bullet out of another makers manual but it's easy, start low and work up! I can use whatever primer I want in most any load! I can switch from standard to mag primers in a load also, start low and work up!

Ejector marks visible on all of the shells in your photo and primers are looking pretty maxed out. I'd drop 1.5gr-2.5gr and do a 'mini-ladder' of sorts, you're already over pressure.

The real question is: how did they shoot?

Should tell you in your manual when ever you differ from the components given back up a certain percentage and start over. I change to any primer I want I simply back up a few grains of powder and start over watching for pressure. I use data for one brand of bullet out of another makers manual but it's easy, start low and work up! I can use whatever primer I want in most any load! I can switch from standard to mag primers in a load also, start low and work up!
Did you read the post? That’s what he did and still had a 150 FPS increase. Also you’re commenting on a post from a year ago.

Last edited:
OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
I change to any primer I want I simply back up a few grains of powder and start over watching for pressure.
Exactly what I did.

Ejector marks visible on all of the shells in your photo and primers are looking pretty maxed out. I'd drop 1.5gr-2.5gr and do a 'mini-ladder' of sorts, you're already over pressure.

The real question is: how did they shoot?
The rifle was a Christensen with dual plungers, it would leave ejector marks at any charge and even swiped a case just by chambering. Learned it's pretty common with those for whatever reason, so I used velocity, primer cup, and bolt lift as pressure metrics. Still never seen anything like that but those 215's woke up and chose violence that day lol.

I scrubbed the carbon ring out and fully cleaned, which didn't really change anything with the other primers. This was during the component shortage so all the shining magnum powders were non existent, I ended up ditching the rifle and jumping on the smaller cal train. Haven't looked back since.