Ever use that thing that points N,S,E,W

I carry a compass and know how to use it well along with my map and GPS. I have only had to use a compass probably 5x at the most and in all instances it was snowing like bajeeza's. The farthest I have hunted off the road was 10 miles, so perhaps if I would get out of my comfort zone I would utilize one more often. Luckily, I always have an idea of where the heck I am. :rolleyes:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have not used one in years and really never had a need until last fall on one long night out in Montana after taking my bull. For any new area I typically scout in the summer to have a good lay of the land prior to hunting season, but will say it could have served me well on this night and saved me a few hours:) One will be in my pack this upcoming season once again.

KMT

WKR
I've carried one with me for as long as I can remember. But I have never used it.

SDHNTR

WKR
I had my old Boy Scout orienteering skills save my ass (or at least get me back to camp) once it got dark on me in real thick forest not too long ago. GPS was worthless. I worked my way back to the trail but if it weren't for the map and compass I wouldn't have known to go left or right. Definitely an important skill to know, and unfortunately one that is becoming rare.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm former military, so I use one all the time/more then a GPS.

Land Nav/orienteering is a lost art in this day and age, but a good one to have when the time comes.

Jimbob

WKR
I'm with Aron, a lost art for sure. Navigating by compass and map through thick bush is extremely rewarding.

I cannot believe how many people have zero idea how to use a map and compass now. I took a buddy out this year, and he forgot to pack extra batteries for his gps. Dude looked white as a ghost. I said don't worry I've got a compass and map. He thought we were doomed. He couldn't believe how I figured out where we were then set a bearing to get us home.

I don't recall using one to be get "unlost" recently, but I do use mine every year just to stay sharp. Frequently take a bearing off the GPS, and then follow it through the thick stuff with a compass. In large part though, that is because I do field navigation as part of my job... for hunting, it rarely gets used but always have it with me and am comfortable using it for basic nav work if needed.

I also do a lot of might best be described as "high speed geocaching"... basically finding marked or unmarked points from the air with a helicopter in the Alaska bush. Get some practice using dead reckoning (mag bearing/distance) that way, as well as considerable practice using landmarks to navigate.

Yk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been known to use mine on occasion, but I've never really "needed" it since getting GPS's. Back before GPS's I used it all the time, and I always have a topo map of the area in my pack when I'm hunting.

I use mine in tandem with my gps. For example, find my location with my gps (just easier) and then take out my big paper topo and use compass to determine direction to spots I want to check out next.

I carry my SILVA Ranger that was military issue with me in the outdoors most of the time and routinely use it on purpose to keep my skills up. I agree that this is a somewhat lost skill that is really important. What I am not too good at is figuring out UTM plotting and more detailed GPS use. Currently working on this stuff.

jmez

WKR
I always have one but never use it. So far have only used a GPS to mark sign. I know how to triangulate with a compass and map but that is all. If I couldn't see any landmarks I would just have to use it to keep me walking in the same direction.

I always have one but never use it. So far have only used a GPS to mark sign. I know how to triangulate with a compass and map but that is all. If I couldn't see any landmarks I would just have to use it to keep me walking in the same direction.

If you have never tried it, you will be amazed how hard it can be to keep "walking in the same direction" with just a compass in hand. You won't actually walk in a circle like you might without any directional clue, but we all have a tendency go around obstacles in a preferred direction and generally drift off track to one side. That compounding error can put you way off unless you know how to compensate as you go. I'm not a pro at orienteering by any stretch, but a little practice goes a long ways.

Yk

amp713

WKR
I use an app on my phone instead of an actual GPS and have yet to really venture into an area I havent scouted before..... That is going to be changing this year, but i always pack a compass, plus my watch has one. Im fairly certain I could get out with only it if needs be but i havent had to go that route before. Will be trying it a little more this year just to practice though. Def a handy skill to sharpen!

jmez

WKR
I will freely admit to having never tried it. I have never really been lost while hunting. Honestly not something that I really ever worry about.

My plan, at least in my head, would be to decide on a direction to go. Site with the compass at a distant object, check Lat and Long and then walk to that object. Site at another object with the same Lat and Long and then walk to that object, etc. If I got to this point I would truly be lost and hoping to find a way out. I would be beyond walking around obstacles etc.

I mainly hunt the Rockies and honestly, I'm not sure how you could get lost and wander around for a week. Walk downhill until you hit water, walk downstream. If you have basic survival gear in your pack then you should get out or walk into another camp doing this. AK is a whole nother ball game. I hunted there and you could be in real trouble if you got lost/turned around out there.

jmez

WKR
The above may be foolish thinking on my part as well. One of you guys that actually knows how to use a compass let me know. Like I said, I have one, I really don't know how to use the thing.

My plan, at least in my head, would be to decide on a direction to go. Site with the compass at a distant object, check Lat and Long and then walk to that object. Site at another object with the same Lat and Long and then walk to that object, etc. If I got to this point I would truly be lost and hoping to find a way out. I would be beyond walking around obstacles etc.

That's pretty much the ideal plan (although I think you mean bearing, rather than lat/long). But odds are if you can see distant landmarks in an area you are even semi familiar with... you probably aren't lost, and probably don't need the compass. Where it becomes useful is in poor weather (fog, rain, low clouds), flat lands, or thick tree cover. Basically where you can't see those long distance landmarks. The plan is basically the same, but you have to take lots of shorter bearing marks to hold your line. That may be something I see more of than a guy in the Rockies, but I know some of you guys hunt some pretty thick and wet country.

There are a few other basic navigation tricks worth knowing. For instance it can be really hard to navigate perfectly back to a specific spot location (like camp) with a compass. However, if your camp is placed along a long terrain feature (i.e. trail, ridge, creek, treeline) like they usually are, you can intentionally navigate a little to one side or the other. Then when you hit the creek or trail, etc, you now know which way you have to follow it to get to your final destination. It's a lot easier to hit those long terrain features than it is a specific point.

I guess my point is that a compass is still a useful navigation instrument, rather than just a emergency "I'm-lost-and-am-going-to-die!" tool.

Yk