I'm New to GAIA, Need Help w/Map Downloads

Crusader

WKR
Hi guys. I live in MO and was lucky to draw a tag for the bear hunt here this October. Will be hunting in National Forest and want to have a mapping app to utilize. A few years back I used Onx for an antelope hunt in WY, mainly to know private prop boundaries. But I'm not very savvy with tech.

Anyway, decided to use GAIA based on a lot of good reviews here on RS so I purchased their premium package. Last night I attempted to download a map as I don't expect to have cell service in our hunt area. I chose several map sources, outlined the area I wanted, and started the download. It stalled while downloading the last source and stayed that way for a couple of hours until I stopped the download.

I have an iPhone 11 with 64 MB of memory; I was attempting to download a map that was roughly 1/4 of a USGS topo quadrangle in area. If I was near maxing out of memory, would it not tell me so?

Related to memory, I assume there's no value in me purchasing Cloud memory since it would not be accessible if I don't have cell service, correct? Assuming so, do I have any other way to get more memory other than getting a new phone?

Are there any tips/suggestions you guys have that might enable to do download what I need? Sorry for all the questions but I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks in advance for the help.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Not sure about GAIA, but I know for On X, they have excellent customer support so you should try the vendor's support as they're going to know the product (and related technologies) better than anyone on a forum.

Good luck,

Eddie

I really love how customizable Gaia is, but it does come with some quirks. The download issue you mentioned isn’t uncommon, though I usually have good luck with stopping and resuming the download.

You can check your phones storage in the settings section to make sure your not out of space.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Correction, my iPhone has 64GB of memory, not MB, so I would not expect that to be a problem; my phone says I have 41GB unused.

So, is the recommendation then just to stop and restart? Maybe I'll do that and if is doesn't work, give their CS a call.

That has resolved it for me numerous times. Sometimes you may have to do it more than once.

You can also try breaking your area down and downloading it in sections. You’ll be able to see the areas you’ve already downloaded so it is easy.

I can’t imagine you’re downloading a gigantic file size based on your description. I just did an entire elk unit in Colorado with 7-8 layers, including satellite imagery and that was like 12-14gb.

Jethro

WKR
Open your saved maps page on phone. Top right, 3 horizontal dot symbol, click it. Brings up option to resume download. That would be my first try if it was me.