Eolus vs Stratospire 2 vs X Mid 2p

380bull

FNG
I know another thread on tarp tents!! I’ve searched the forums and went over all the discussions. Curious if there are any fresh ideas regarding these 3 shelters I’ve narrowed down. Mostly solo earlier season hunts, like the idea of extra room for the occasion time my wife or daughter comes along, or both ( daughter is 5 ) A nest would be a must for the bug situations, would not necessarily always use it.

Which would be the easiest to pitch? Hear all different reviews but guessing it takes a couple times to master.

Leaning towards the SS2 at the moment with a solid interior. The XMid 2p was my first choice but struck out getting one and not interested in the DCF version at this time. Could either hunt down a used one, although unlikely or wait for the solid interior release this summer.

Thanks for any input!

Voyageur

WKR
Of the tents you listed I only have experience with the SS2 (w/ solid liner). Based on my personal experience I think you would be very happy with the SS2. It's a great shelter.
Hope this helps.

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
Of the three I only have experience with the x-mid 2. Crazy how fast those went. I was trying to get a one man and they were sold out in less than 5 minutes. Oh well.

Anyway, the x-mid is stupid simple to set up. The room inside the nest is certainly enough for two but it’s deigned for two people to sleep laying opposite directions. It can be done with both sleeping same direction but one person won’t have much head room. It’s my understanding the Stratospire was Durstons inspiration for the X-mid. He wanted the same general feel with a lot more intuitive setup. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

The three your looking at are the same ones I was considering. An XMid popped up here in the classifieds and I snagged it. Glad I did.

OP

380bull

FNG
Thanks guys for the insight! I think if I could get an x mid that’s the route I’d go, however they are impossible to find and bringing a big premium right now. I think I want the solid interior for additional warmth if needed. Heard Durston is coming with a solid but not until summer sometime, thinking I will pull the tripper on the SS2 and give it a try.

We do have a solid inner version coming out for the X-Mid 1 and 2. Those will be ready in July for the first batch. That'll probably sell out fast so we recommend being on the notification, but starting late 2022 we will have much better supply of everything.

Regarding the space in the X-Mid 2, it is asymmetrical where the space is different on both sides of the tent but it's still intended for both people to sleep in the same direction because sleeping opposite ways is too weird. Basically one person will have some extra space at their head while the other person will some extra space at their feet, but it is quite a spacious 2P tent so both people should still have ample room. We recommend it to 6'4". If someone is pushing that upper limit, it is better to be on the side with the steeper headwall so your feet poke into the low area instead of your head, but ultimately it is quite spacious and about 95% of customers sleep the same way.

X-Mid-2P-Top-Dimensions.png

Chaplain

FNG
These are the same 3 tents my wife & I are looking at as well. Stopped by SO and checked out their Eolus the other day when I was driving through Grand Junction, CO. Pretty cool tent, love the non-zipper feature and absolutely love that they are made in USA. It doesn't have any roof top venting which I thought was a bummer. I don't know as much about the TT SS2 but like the near solid nest option, was checking out reviews on it when I learned of Durston's tent. Really like the Durston design and again a solid nest option would be great for those of us that don't like a drafty tent. I wonder how much the weight the solid option will add??? The fact that I see him chime in on these forums leads me to believe that customer service is a priority for him/wife. I dig that.

Anyone have much experience with the Eolus on here?
@dandurston how much will the solid nest add to the total weight?

I used to have an Eolus. Used it for September elk hunting and summer scouting. I assessed it as a plus up from flat tarps (like the DST) in that it'll handle the wind much better at not much of a weight penalty. The doors are pretty slick. You mentioned the nest option which is cool...I have a little Sea to Summit bug net but never really used it. Kinda feel like bugs is more of a mental problem than a practical problem (obviously some places can be awful).

I prefer the silnylon to silpoly for wind strength. I know some people will challenge me on that but my experience informs my opinion. Think I need to buy another Eolus...

Voyageur

WKR
how much will the solid nest add to the total weight?
Can't speak to Durston, and I haven't checked the Tarptent site in awhile, but last time I did the mesh liner actually weighed a tiny bit more than the solid liner.

@dandurston how much will the solid nest add to the total weight?
With the new solid inner version of the X-Mid we've made a few tweaks to it besides just the solid fabric to make a bit more suited to harsh weather. So there is the solid fabric for the inner tent and also added reinforcement for the extra stake points along the perimeter, and new low stretch guylines that are slightly heavier but with less stretch it's more solid in high winds.

All of that adds about 0.5oz, so it's about 36.5oz vs 36oz for the regular model. That's 4.8oz lighter than the Stratospire 2 (40.8oz) and really about 6oz once you factor in that the SS needs seam sealing and more stakes.

We've also redesigned the X-Mid 2 and improved a ton of stuff, and those updates will first appear on the solid version that's launched in a few weeks. So there are some further improvements for stormy conditions that will appear on both the mesh and solid models (e.g. small buckles at the base of the door zippers, added guyouts, more catenary curves).

Regarding the solid inner itself, we're using solid fabric for the entire inner except the top halves of the doors (so you can see out and for airflow). This is similar to the Stratospire, whereas the Eolus only uses solid fabric around the bottom perimeter. That saves cost and still blocks drafts, but doesn't add as much warmth and still leaves you vulnerable if you have heavy condensation + winds knocking that off the fly.

Regarding the doors/zippers, the X-Mid 2 uses #5 zippers (like the Stratospire) which are quite durable and then the new version of the X-Mid 2 will add small buckles at the base of the zips to reinforce them in high winds. The zipperless doors are neat, but have a few downsides that aren't immediately obvious:

1) They require a lower angled panel slope to work, which means a larger footprint for the tent and a much longer reach to close them. With the X-Mid 2 it is 26" from the edge of the floor to the bottom of the zipper, so you can comfortably reach out and close the fly from inside the inner tent. Whereas with a zipperless door it's a far longer reach of 48" were you do need to crawl partly into the vestibule to close them.

2) The billows of fabric hang a lot lower than a regular door, so if the fly is wet it's hard to enter unscathed by the rain.

The main advantages of the X-Mid vs the Eolus are a simpler pitch, no sag fabric, higher build quality (e.g. fully double stitched), a few ounces lighter, more spacious, peak vents, factory seam taped, and about $100 less expensive. Compared to the Stratospire the main advantages are many of those same things (simpler pitch, no sag fabric, higher build quality, seam taped) but now it's ~6oz lighter, much simpler pitch, $60 less expensive, no struts to pack up into a long shape (will store horizontally) and the vents are a lot larger/more functional.

Last edited:
OP

380bull

FNG
Awesome write up Dan!! When you see the owner and designer regularly on a lot of forums answering questions and being honest that tells me a lot about the quality and service!

As mentioned before I went with the SS2 simply because I missed out on the last run of Durston tents. I will try for one during the next run of solids but not betting on my chances as they will likely sell out in seconds.

The SS2 is a great shelter and an happy with it!! I had a small issue come up on the stitching, sent an email and within minutes the owner Henry got back to me and was super helpful!! Sent it back and repaired for free within a couple days!! Amazing customer service from Tarptent!!

I liked the Eolus as well but for the same reasons Dan mentioned I would pick the SS2 or Xmid. If I snag a new solid Xmid I would have a SS2 for sale. 😃

Your criticisms of the eolus are my exact experiences and criticisms to. Reaching the door slide from inside is a real stretch. The door is very hard to get in and out of without crawling on the wet/muddy/ dusty ground. Plus the door opening brushes your back so rain or condensation runs off on you. I have a ss2 now which i likes quite abit but have only used it a couple times. My only criticism so far is the struts make you have to roll it up which makes it weird for me to carry in my back pack. Looking forward someday getting lucky and getting a DD xmid tent. I should add i have a cimarron that i love and use a ton no criticisms.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think it has been stated by Henry Shires on BPL that directly criticizing competitors is low class .. but that is where we are I guess.

Regarding earlier Eolus criticisms from another vendor.
- The reach is a little long, but you can actually tie a little cordage loop on it and open it from inside if you like .. it also allows more space when sleeping flourless. The Silex and Forthcoming Guardian have more abrupt angles that are easier to reach. In fact, we actually have systems that can be rigged to open and close from the comfort of your sleeping bag (we just have been playing with different iterations and trying to perfect it .. but its not hard to figure out) .
- The focus on the inner on the Eolus is breathability with draft minimizing. In that regard, it does very well. The Silex and forthcoming Guardian use DWR over the top, and about 2/3 on the door / entrances for more coverage.
- We have obvious disagreements , on fabric and stretch and quality frankly. Our Cordura Nylon stretches less and is much more durable than any SilPoly I have tested. It also has a higher hydrostatic rating.
- as for quality (and frankly CS is a part of quality IMO ) I will let our record stand for itself. Our failure rate over the course of 12 years , with shelters large and small is extremely small. Most issues have been zipper pulls and dirt (We use 8 -10 YKK on most shelters, occasionally a 5) or animals (bear, dog, horse, mule) .. or occasionally a pole and extreme loads.

rcb2000

WKR
With the new solid inner version of the X-Mid we've made a few tweaks to it besides just the solid fabric to make a bit more suited to harsh weather. So there is the solid fabric for the inner tent and also added reinforcement for the extra stake points along the perimeter, and new low stretch guylines that are slightly heavier but with less stretch it's more solid in high winds.

All of that adds about 0.5oz, so it's about 36.5oz vs 36oz for the regular model. That's 4.8oz lighter than the Stratospire 2 (40.8oz) and really about 6oz once you factor in that the SS needs seam sealing and more stakes.

We've also redesigned the X-Mid 2 and improved a ton of stuff, and those updates will first appear on the solid version that's launched in a few weeks. So there are some further improvements for stormy conditions that will appear on both the mesh and solid models (e.g. small buckles at the base of the door zippers, added guyouts, more catenary curves).

Regarding the solid inner itself, we're using solid fabric for the entire inner except the top halves of the doors (so you can see out and for airflow). This is similar to the Stratospire, whereas the Eolus only uses solid fabric around the bottom perimeter. That saves cost and still blocks drafts, but doesn't add as much warmth and still leaves you vulnerable if you have heavy condensation + winds knocking that off the fly.

Regarding the doors/zippers, the X-Mid 2 uses #5 zippers (like the Stratospire) which are quite durable and then the new version of the X-Mid 2 will add small buckles at the base of the zips to reinforce them in high winds. The zipperless doors are neat, but have a few downsides that aren't immediately obvious:

1) They require a lower angled panel slope to work, which means a larger footprint for the tent and a much longer reach to close them. With the X-Mid 2 it is 26" from the edge of the floor to the bottom of the zipper, so you can comfortably reach out and close the fly from inside the inner tent. Whereas with the Eolus it's a far longer reach of 48" were you do need to crawl partly into the vestibule to close them (not fun if the ground is muddy).

2) The billows of fabric hang a lot lower than a regular door, so if the fly is wet it's hard to enter unscathed by the rain.

The main advantages of the X-Mid vs the Eolus are a simpler pitch, no sag fabric, higher build quality (e.g. fully double stitched), a few ounces lighter, more spacious, peak vents, factory seam taped, and about $100 less expensive. Compared to the Stratospire the main advantages are many of those same things (simpler pitch, no sag fabric, higher build quality, seam taped) but now it's ~6oz lighter, much simpler pitch, $60 less expensive, no struts to pack up into a long shape (will store horizontally) and the vents are a lot larger/more functional.
How are the leadtimes for your China made shelters?

How are the leadtimes for your China made shelters?
The X-Mid 2 is built in Vietnam at the same factory as MSR and Black Diamond. We'll have more on sale in 4 weeks for delivery in 10 weeks.

I think it has been stated by Henry Shires on BPL that directly criticizing competitors is low class ....
In a thread where a user has specifically asked about differences between these shelters, I think it's fair to explain the differences. My comments stick to factual advantages (e.g. peak vents, no-sag fabric, seam taped, fully double stitched etc) which are true and I think helpful to explain. Your shelter also has factual advantages, such as your 30D fabric would be stronger than our 20D, and I wouldn't have an issue with you pointing that out as long as the statement was true.

I think pointing out factual advantages while staying away from speculation, inaccurate statements, and subjective statements is a reasonable approach. That's similar to Ford pointing out their truck gets better milage than the Chevy.

Last edited:

shawdawg

FNG
I'm sure they are good tents but seek gets my vote and my hard earned money. Made in America by hard working outdoorsmen like myself is all the reason I need to spend a few extra bucks. I have a Cimarron, LBO, DST tarp and had a silex and all quality gear.

I would like to see some more debate between @dandurston and @Kevin_t on the materials used, civilly of course.

I've been thinking hard about a DCF tarp because I'm tired of the wet sag of thin silnylons and don't like the idea of UV degradation of strength. But with a solid design and silpoly fabric, that xmid is looking nice. How does the cordura nylon differ from other silnylons? What's the long term strength and HH compared to a poly tent?

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the discussion. I’m also considering the XMid, Eolus and Silex/Guardian. I owned a SS2 and wasn’t a fan of the finicky setup and went big with a Redcliff as a replacement. A nest is a must as this will also be used in GA/NC/TN in addition to a couple Western hunts per year.

Looking for a smaller shelter now.

Chaplain

FNG
Is that TT Double Rainbow worth discussing at all (compared to the XMid, SS2 & Eolus)? Anyone have experience with one of those?

I would like to see some more debate between @dandurston and @Kevin_t on the materials used, civilly of course.

I've been thinking hard about a DCF tarp because I'm tired of the wet sag of thin silnylons and don't like the idea of UV degradation of strength. But with a solid design and silpoly fabric, that xmid is looking nice. How does the cordura nylon differ from other silnylons? What's the long term strength and HH compared to a poly tent?
Per the other thread on silpoly, it sounds like Seek Outside has only tested one silpoly from Ripstop by the Roll, which is well documented as a not very good one, so I'm not surprised they weren't impressed with that but also don't think it's accurate to generalize about silpoly from that one version as there are much better performing options.

I give my view on this topic on our materials page, but in short, you can get silpolys that are quite similar in strength to nylon (within 10-20%) and since nylon loses 10% when wet in the field they actually start off fairliy similarly. There's also other factors, such as with a trekking pole shelter the fabric is part of the structure (unlike with a freestanding tent) so if the fabric sags the shelter becomes loose and structurally unsound, which can lead to failure even if the fabric is stronger.

This poly vs nylon debate gets all the attention, but it's a bit of a distraction because ultimately both materials work, and also other factors like denier (e.g. 10 vs 20 vs 30D) and the coatings (e.g. sil vs PU) make a bigger difference for strength than the fiber type. Black Diamond is making some nice hardcore 4-season tents out of 30D poly, so clearly it works. We use 20D poly because I think that's the right balance for a 3-season tent, which is a similar view as many other tent companies (e.g. SMD, Tarptent, Yama).

As for HH, that is determined pretty much entirely by the coatings and not the fiber type. Our materials page discusses too, where I describe how it's a murky topic because coatings wear over time and that's a much bigger concern than what they initially start off at. Some 2000mm coatings last really well, while some 5000mm coatings wear down to 500mm quite quickly. That depends on the coating type and also how deeply impregnated it is. Traditionally with PU coatings you had 5000-10,000mm because they break down a lot, whereas sil coatings are more durable such that 2000mm or even 1000mm is generally fine. For a user, I wouldn't look at the specific numbers too much but moreso that the company has been using that particular material for a while and it has a good reputation.

Anyways, the list of companies using poly is growing every year and while it's tempting to get fixated on strength metrics, the material clearly works with 20D poly having a solid reputation for 3-season use by now, and 30D regularly used in 4-season tents. For most people I think poly makes the most sense because the non-sag is a substantial real world advantage. DCF is nice too and super light so we also use it, but it's much more expensive so it's not for everyone.

Thank you. I hadn't seen that other thread. And thanks for the extra information.

Thanks to both Durston and Seek Outside for working hard to make great shelters and provide great CS.