Durston X-Mid 2 or Tarptent Double Rainbow DW

JMichigan

FNG
I'm looking to upgrade my old tent. I've narrowed it down to these two tents, the Durston X-mid2 and the Tarptent Double Rainbow DW. I've looked through the forums and it seems that everyone loves both of them, but there is no direct comparison of the two.

The main differences are:
  • That the X-mid pitches using trekking poles versus Tarpent Double Rainbow DW uses tent poles.
  • The X-Mid is not a free standing tent versus the Double Rainbow DW has the option to be freestanding.
  • The X-Mid is fly first where the Double rainbow DW is not. (Yes I saw the standard double rainbow is fly first since it is a single wall tent, its not out of the picture. I was just trying to stay more towards the double walled tents

*Also, if I go with the x-mid. Would you go with the mesh or solid version?

Any issues with the footprint of the X-Mid? Since, the double rainbow dw can be freestanding I'm not as concerned.

I primarily just sleep out of the truck or old tent, but this year I want a lighter option to sleep in the backcountry if needed.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Maybe I don’t understand the Double Rainbow DW all that well, but I was under the impression you pitched the “normal” double rainbow and then you put an “extra fly” over the whole thing to make it a double wall. But I may be misunderstanding the design. Looking at the cost of it made me think that was the case.

EDIT- Didn’t realize they had released a new version of the DW. Old style was the one you could buy a “fly” for and make it a double wall. Sorry about my confusion and response.

As for the x-mid…I owned it, sold it, and bought the Double Rainbow. FOR ME, it was easier to set up, can be freestanding, and I could take my trekking poles with me. Once I bought the stand alone poles for the xmid there wasn’t much of a weight savings (can’t remember if there even was one).

With all of that being said, I wouldn’t consider either of these a high mountain 4 season shelter. And if you are looking for a 3 season shelter, either will do great and the DW Double Rainbow would be overkill.

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
Maybe I don’t understand the Double Rainbow DW all that well, but I was under the impression you pitched the “normal” double rainbow and then you put an “extra fly” over the whole thing to make it a double wall. But I may be misunderstanding the design. Looking at the cost of it made me think that was the case.

EDIT- Didn’t realize they had released a new version of the DW. Old style was the one you could buy a “fly” for and make it a double wall. Sorry about my confusion and response.

As for the x-mid…I owned it, sold it, and bought the Double Rainbow. FOR ME, it was easier to set up, can be freestanding, and I could take my trekking poles with me. Once I bought the stand alone poles for the xmid there wasn’t much of a weight savings (can’t remember if there even was one).

With all of that being said, I wouldn’t consider either of these a high mountain 4 season shelter. And if you are looking for a 3 season shelter, either will do great and the DW Double Rainbow would be overkill.
Oh no worries. That is a concern of mine with the trekking poles, I've read that getting the pitch right can be a pain in less than ideal scenarios.

How is the condensation with your double rainbow? That was the only reason I was going to go with the DW to minimize brushing up against it and getting my bag or jacket wet. Also, is it okay in the wind? The single arch pole is kind of concerning if a thunderstorm pops up.

Primary use is for Archery elk, so I think either one should work okay.

Thank you for response. This helps since you have had both.

I personally haven’t had issues with the double rainbow, but I make sure I vent it well and often have a part of the door open. Never had any issues with it in the wind, but haven’t exposed it to serious winds ever. Try hard to find good camp spots. As for set up, I can have my double rainbow up in about 2 minutes and sometimes less. I stake two corners, run the center pole down. Go to the other end, bend the pole, stake, stake, cross pole, stake, stake, done. Pretty quick for me.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have the tarp tent dw but no experience with the durston so can’t give a direct comparison. That’s being said it’s a great tent. It does get more condensation than my older big Agnes but with the double wall design it hasn’t not been an issue for me.
The main thing I would like to point out to you in your descriptions of the differences is that the tarp tent dw can be pitched fly first. It’s kind of a modular design so can be used just fly, fly and mesh or just mesh. Normally I leave the fly and mesh attached so set up is just the four corner stakes then you slide the pole in and stake out the vestibules and you’re done. It’s the easiest pitching tent I’ve owned.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a durston X mid 2 solid. 1st night was last weekend, I like the silpoly

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
I have the tarp tent dw but no experience with the durston so can’t give a direct comparison. That’s being said it’s a great tent. It does get more condensation than my older big Agnes but with the double wall design it hasn’t not been an issue for me.
The main thing I would like to point out to you in your descriptions of the differences is that the tarp tent dw can be pitched fly first. It’s kind of a modular design so can be used just fly, fly and mesh or just mesh. Normally I leave the fly and mesh attached so set up is just the four corner stakes then you slide the pole in and stake out the vestibules and you’re done. It’s the easiest pitching tent I’ve owned.
Well that is good to know, adds another pro to it. None of the YouTube videos mentioned having that option. Thank you

OP
JMichigan

JMichigan

FNG
I personally haven’t had issues with the double rainbow, but I make sure I vent it well and often have a part of the door open. Never had any issues with it in the wind, but haven’t exposed it to serious winds ever. Try hard to find good camp spots. As for set up, I can have my double rainbow up in about 2 minutes and sometimes less. I stake two corners, run the center pole down. Go to the other end, bend the pole, stake, stake, cross pole, stake, stake, done. Pretty quick for me.
I'm leaning towards the double rainbow, did you go with carbon fiber or aluminum poles?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Either is going to serve, the ability to ventilate will directly impact condensation as will where you set it up. I’d also consider the fly material as some have mentioned, there’s a big difference. The sil-poly in real world use has been impressive, especially in extended rain events.

Don’t be scared if the xmid pitch. You make a rectangle and stick poles under it. It isn’t difficult. As far as strength goes,

If you’re deciding on a shelter for hunting I’d recommend the solid xmid interior, that will be nicer for shoulder seasons and deals with moisture you can get a bit better.

They are both heavy enough that they aren’t “nothing” in your pack, so their packed size matters. To me, I like the trekking poles supported mids. Interior volume really matters so comparing that is a key metric.

Take into consideration the type of terrain you’ll most likely be setting up in.
I’ve been using an X-mid 1 this summer for backpacking trips. Rocky ground makes staking out a perfect square tedious at times. The X-mid has been great but I’d prefer a freestanding if I’m gonna be in mostly rocky terrain.
I have the regular but think I would prefer the solid for anything later than September in the mountains. The amount of space for keeping gear under the x-mid fly is nice. For just one person you may not need the 2

rcb2000

WKR
Take into consideration the type of terrain you’ll most likely be setting up in.
I’ve been using an X-mid 1 this summer for backpacking trips. Rocky ground makes staking out a perfect square tedious at times. The X-mid has been great but I’d prefer a freestanding if I’m gonna be in mostly rocky terrain.
I have the regular but think I would prefer the solid for anything later than September in the mountains. The amount of space for keeping gear under the x-mid fly is nice. For just one person you may not need the 2
This.
Even here in Virginia there are spots where the ground is so soft that getting a stake in the ground is really hard. I went with the Tarptent, I like the freestanding ability.