Enlightened Equipment Quilts

I have read reviews on here and really want to try a revelation quilt. I was on the site and see that things have changed a bit... I dont see the revelation x as on option anymore just revelation but its is priced liked the x so maybe thats how it is now, which is fine with me. Treated down is now an option but pricey. I also see that the baffel design has changed... vertical baffels now which he is calling shiftless baffels. Anyone have any insight on this? Makes me wonder if the older models will start hitting the classifieds sections? If anyone is selling let me know.

Last edited:

littlebuf

Banned
i think the rev x was discontinued for 2014. or at least in the configuration previously offered. Tim knows his stuff, and any changes made to the design are changes to optimize the quilt and not just frills or gimmicks. i would be confident in any one of his quilts doing just what it says it will do. ive got my second one from him being built now and cant wait to get my hands on it.

mtbshark

WKR
so i was looking at those quilts today.

let me ask a simple question, are they just a non enclosed sleeping bag that you slip in pull over you while on your pad?
so you use more of the R value/temp rating of your pad to keep your ground side warm?

littlebuf

Banned
Correct. But you get your temp/ r value from your pad with a standard sleeping bag too and that's the point of the design. Get rid of the un necessary material and cut weight

littlebuf

Banned
Take a look at the review I did on here for the rev X. It shows the design pretty well

Browtine

WKR
I've got a Revelation 20 inbound. Excited to get my hands on it and do some off season testing.

colonel00

WKR
Browtine, where were you located again? Wichita? I would love to see a side by side comparison of the old and new design. I am in KC and have a Rev X 30* and 10* so maybe we could work out an exchange over the off season.

OP
jquarnberg
i think the rev x was discontinued for 2014. or at least in the configuration previously offered. Tim knows his stuff, and any changes made to the design are changes to optimize the quilt and not just frills or gimmicks. i would be confident in any one of his quilts doing just what it says it will do. ive got my second one from him being built now and cant wait to get my hands on it.

Hey littlebuf isn't the $205 price for the rev30 the same as the price the revelation x was last year? Or was revelation x cheaper than that?

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, that sounds about right for the Rev X 30* that I purchased. Mine was a hair more since I got a wide version. However, I believe Tim "downgraded" to 750 fill down versus the 850 that it used to be. As I just mentioned in another EE thread, there seems to be a few things that hopefully Tim can clear up like the photos of the Revelation show two different baffle configurations.

suchee

FNG
It seems Tim started the Enigma with the help/suggestions on BPL. He is very active there with tons of info from its inception

sneek-ee

WKR
The "new" revelations and enigmas are identical besides the foot box. The rev has the same shiftless design baffles now. The enigma has a sewn foot box which saves a little weight.
The revelation still has the draw cords and little zippered foot box.

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

For 2014 the RevelationX has been dropped choosing instead to offer both the Enigma and Revelation in 750, 800 and 850DT fill options. This gives the higher quality fabric at 3 price points with the 750 being very similar to the RevX cost. My site has been fighting me so right now only 750 and. 850dt are up but I'm hoping to get it fixed soon

Both the Revelation and Enigma now feature the shiftless baffles so the only difference between the two is the footbox style. If you want the very lightest least fuss get the enigma with its sewn closed footbox but if you want to vent easily and have more versatility get the Rev with its zippered open flat footbox.

The new Rev is just launched so no new pics yet. Soon.

-Tim

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for the clarification fellas. If I didn't already have two I would definitely give the new design a shot.

JeremiahH

WKR
I tried to post up a pic from Tim that showed the 800 fill specs and price along with the rest but it's too blurry, maybe he has a better image.

OP
jquarnberg
Question Tim... with the rev will the 750 fill in the new version be colder/less loft than the older model rev? I guess I dont understand 750 vs 850...

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
Fill quality has no bearing on wArmth as we adjust the fill to achieve the same loft. The 850 fill is lighter because less is needed for the same loft

The older quilts with 30% overstuff would be a little warmer than the current ones with 5% overstuff but with the current ones down shift is no longer a concern.

-Tim

suchee

FNG
Tim or others what's the recommendation with going wide? Im a loose 52" total around my widest circumference... at the elbows. Your regular says 54" at the head??? I want a 30* and then add a down sweater for colder, but my sweater only adds about 2" total loft.... and i side sleep, no toss and turn

seems regular is right?? save 3/4 oz?

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
The 54" is the width of the quilt for the top half. If you're. 52" no need for a Wide. Plan on having 5-10" more room to move as the sides gap under you.

-Tim