Elk System Late September Wyoming

Lyeatman

FNG
Hi All,

We have an elk trip planned for the final 10 days in September just south of the Yellowstone border. In general we will be on horseback and the camp has “everything you need and nothing you don’t”.

I am thinking about running mostly a First Lite system due to I believe it will also work well deer hunting (gun) back in Mississippi as well.

I am thinking about the new Catalyst system, Kiln pullover, a lighter and heavier merino layer, a Drake fleece vest (if you don’t have one they are extremely warm), 5 pairs of good quality socks, pack books and hiking boots, and reasonable rain gear. I think this will have me in good shape, am I missing anything else?

This time of year would I need bomb proof gloves or regular gloves with some mittens be sufficient?

I run slightly cold natured, can I get away without a puffy pant or is this something else I need to add?

Also, anyone have a reasonable duffle bag idea that I could also use day to day? I don’t want anything extreme camo here.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wyosteve

WKR
I'd not take the pack boots, but include a pair of camp shoes. Something along the line of crocs, etc. You can get away without puffy pants as long as you have long underwear. For gloves, I typically take a pair of leather gloves and a pair of warmer waterproof gloves. Be sure your sleeping bag is up to the task. Even though you should have stoves in the tents, you probably won't burn it all night. I've been in temps down to the single digits at night that time of year. No good ideas on duffel bags. I just use the Cabelas brand duffel.

I’m from south Alabama and did a 2 week hunt 2 years ago in that general area of Wyoming. We had snow the first two days we were there then it turned off moderately warm to hot the rest of the trip. Never really got any rain but saw rain storms off in the distance. Friend who lives in Jackson says weather is pretty unpredictable that time of year. I run very cold natured and got away with Firstlite merino base layer and Kuiu attack pants. Usually just wore attack pants during the day and slept in my merino base layer. Never needed puffy pants. Took a set of cabelas rain gear (MT050 set) and never once put them on. Top layer I used Firstlite Llano, Chama, and browning puffy jacket. Hoody on the Chama was awesome for wind reasons. Threw in a Carhart balaclava that I thought I would never use and ended up wearing it out.

I’m headed back this year and the only thing I plan to add is a vest of some sort.
Get a good pair of hiking boots (I bought lowa rangers and wish I had 20 pair) and something to wear around camp that will let your feet dry out and breath like crocs. I wore simple leather gloves from tractor supply cause we were on horse back a lot. Had a pair of medium weight marmot gloves for when it was cooler.

Can’t help with duffle bag but I would pick up one on Camofire. They seems to pop up on there a lot.