Elk season fitness-altitude issues for flatlanders

I was in the anti running camp until a couple months ago....I still have somewhat of a gut on me but I ran 5 miles (farthest distance in 10 years lol) the other day at about a 9 minute pace and felt good. Think I am getting closer to where I want to be.

I've mentioned this in another post, but the biggest value for me has been constantly mixing my workouts up. Weighted hikes, "distance" running, lighter weight box step-ups, etc.

TaperPin

WKR
The only bad thing about that is the weight 🤣

I'll have to up my water a bit this year and see if it helps. Hopefully I can find good water to filter In this new unit too
The only bad thing about that is the weight 🤣

I'll have to up my water a bit this year and see if it helps. Hopefully I can find good water to filter In this new unit too
Yes lol
I should have said that’s a rough daily usage, not what I carry all day. There are a few high remote bowls with no reliable water that require a lot for the trek there and back to our regular camp, but luckily most days we cross a small spring fed creek a couple times a day so we only pack 2 qts 90% of the time.

I used to run quite a bit, many halves and one full(just to say I did it) Started developing achilles issues and have really backed off a bunch in the last years, plus I just developed a dislike for it. I always felt in great shape. Did some high intensity hill repeats with weight as well and mountain biking for fun of course. I will say that since I don't really run any more, I am definitely not in the shape I need to be. I have been dealing with multiple rib breaks/bruises this year due to 3 bad mountain bike crashes, so it just plain hurts to run so that hasn't helped.

On the water front, probably carry too much as we hunt in relatively wet areas, but I mostly fill a 3 liter bladder and have a 1 liter Nalgene and maybe a 3/4 liter bottle with some kind of sports drink. Very rarely do I drink that much in a day, so I could probably back off....a lot. Just hate taking the time to fill bottles. We ran into several through hikers on the colorado trail last year and those guys just had 20 ounce disposable bottles. they would just stop and fill at creek crossings. crazy....

TaperPin

WKR
We ran into several through hikers on the colorado trail last year and those guys just had 20 ounce disposable bottles. they would just stop and fill at creek crossings. crazy....
That’s funny. I was talking with a guy who only carried one one-qt water bottle and had to ask how he could go so long in between fill ups - he would super-load with water when filling his bottle at a creek - like drink half a qt right away, eat a snack, then drink two qts, fill the bottle and start hiking. Makes me have to pee just thinking about it.

OP
E
That’s funny. I was talking with a guy who only carried one one-qt water bottle and had to ask how he could go so long in between fill ups - he would super-load with water when filling his bottle at a creek - like drink half a qt right away, eat a snack, then drink two qts, fill the bottle and start hiking. Makes me have to pee just thinking about it.
I thought I was doing good sitting by a seep last year drinking a liter while filtering 3 🤣 I barely got my pack back on and I had to pee so bad I was stopping 5 yards up the 1000 foot vertical 🤣

fwafwow

WKR
When I researched this a few years ago, I was surprised at the lack of certainty on the causes. I decided to go with training, gave up alcohol for a month, hydrated a lot and took a day or so to acclimate (climb high and sleep low). I also got a Diamox prescription and took them as prescribed. (They aren’t magic - your heart will race and you will piss more frequently.) I also rented and slept in an altitudes tent for a few weeks (maybe a month) and did some of the other breathing exercises with the equipment to simulate lower oxygen.

I didn’t have any problems, but I have no idea whether any of my steps mattered or if I’m just one of those who isn’t impacted.

Good luck!

Traveler

WKR
I drink a gallon to 1.5 the night prior and carry 20 oz bottle for the day, no refills. Pee in the morning, then generally once per day. It’s not for everyone.

TaperPin

WKR
I drink a gallon to 1.5 the night prior and carry 20 oz bottle for the day, no refills. Pee in the morning, then generally once per day. It’s not for everyone.
If I could do it I would.

That reminded me of a goofy test we did 30 years ago.

A group of friends and I had the idea to weigh ourselves throughout the day, before hikes/workouts and after, to see when we were under hydrated - one guy stayed well hydrated at night, one guy that drank a lot of water during the day didn’t drink much at night and started out the day a half gallon low. No matter how much I drank at night or during the day it was impossible to keep even a few pounds (1 qt) of extra water. It just made me pee a lot.

What was surprising is eating a large pepperoni pizza retains a half gallon of water (4 lbs) the next day and takes 3 days to work out of my system.

Brendan

WKR
Take in more sodium if you're peeing a lot. Most people don't take nearly enough. If I'm going out for a long bike ride and it's hot, I'll pre-load with 16 oz of water, 50g of carb mix, and 1600 mg of sodium. Then for me, 1000-1200 mg per liter of water throughout the day.

Altitude: Being in shape helps, but Just take an extra day or two to acclimate. I've spent 3+ weeks over 10,000' this summer (Leadville, CO) on two different trips coming from sea level. Day one sucks because I don't sleep well the night before and my body just has to get used to it. Day two is better, but not 100%. Day 3 I'm pretty much good to go.

OP
E
Take in more sodium if you're peeing a lot. Most people don't take nearly enough. If I'm going out for a long bike ride and it's hot, I'll pre-load with 16 oz of water, 50g of carb mix, and 1600 mg of sodium. Then for me, 1000-1200 mg per liter of water throughout the day.

Altitude: Being in shape helps, but Just take an extra day or two to acclimate. I've spent 3+ weeks over 10,000' this summer (Leadville, CO) on two different trips coming from sea level. Day one sucks because I don't sleep well the night before and my body just has to get used to it. Day two is better, but not 100%. Day 3 I'm pretty much good to go.
It sure sounds like acclimation is my best bet but man that sucks to burn a day at the truck . I might need someone to handcuff me to the truck so I don't just go up hill when I get there. If I could glass from low I would make it work but dang that's hard for me to sit around.

fwafwow

WKR
It sure sounds like acclimation is my best bet but man that sucks to burn a day at the truck . I might need someone to handcuff me to the truck so I don't just go up hill when I get there. If I could glass from low I would make it work but dang that's hard for me to sit around.
Did you look into renting an altitude tent?

Brendan

WKR
You don't need to just sit at the truck, but try and take it relatively easy if you can. Drink a ton of water, and try to go REAL slow. Just take twice as long to get where you're going, don't go as far, scout new areas and access points with the truck, etc.

There are people who land themselves in the hospital every year from going too hard too fast when they get to altitude.

OP
E
You don't need to just sit at the truck, but try and take it relatively easy if you can. Drink a ton of water, and try to go REAL slow. Just take twice as long to get where you're going, don't go as far, scout new areas and access points with the truck, etc.

There are people who land themselves in the hospital every year from going too hard too fast when they get to altitude.
That might help me find more elk and enjoy the scenery a bit more too. I'm not good at going slow, but I'll try it to avoid feeling rough!

TaperPin

WKR
Everyone responds differently, but for many people if they go up to a point they feel bad, going down clears it up just as fast. In your shoes I’d be curious and take a day hike up and see if there’s an altitude that you can really start to feel it and how fast it clears up on the way down.

There seems to be two elevations that are good to know. One is what elevation you need to sleep at to not feel bad. The other is what elevation you can hike to during the day that starts to cause problems, which is often a few thousand feet higher than the first.

We’ll all be waiting to hear how it turned out this year 🙂

OP
E
Did you look into renting an altitude tent?
I did!
Everyone responds differently, but for many people if they go up to a point they feel bad, going down clears it up just as fast. In your shoes I’d be curious and take a day hike up and see if there’s an altitude that you can really start to feel it and how fast it clears up on the way down.

There seems to be two elevations that are good to know. One is what elevation you need to sleep at to not feel bad. The other is what elevation you can hike to during the day that starts to cause problems, which is often a few thousand feet higher than the first.

We’ll all be waiting to hear how it turned out this year 🙂
That's great advice... and it would explain why I slept so bad on my first evening last year at 9400 feet... well that or the bobcat waking me up in the middle of the night or the elk that walked right by my sleeping bag

TaperPin

WKR
I did!

That's great advice... and it would explain why I slept so bad on my first evening last year at 9400 feet... well that or the bobcat waking me up in the middle of the night or the elk that walked right by my sleeping bag
Lol
A tiny miniature AM/FM radio and ear buds keeps me sane otherwise if there’s no wind all the sounds of the night keep me up. 🙂

OP
E
Lol
A tiny miniature AM/FM radio and ear buds keeps me sane otherwise if there’s no wind all the sounds of the night keep me up. 🙂
I used to think I was really tough, and then I realized that cowboy camping is no joke and I like pretending that being in my sleeping bag will stop all the things that go bump in the night from eating my like a tasty little Midwestern burrito. Ya know all 2 mm of pertex and a couple ounces of down will really stop em