Elk reading material

I am from KY and avid deer hunter, but making my first trip to Colorado this year for a archery elk hunt. Was looking for some recommended reading material from you guys like any types of books with good info for a first time diy guy. Anything to help me become a little more knowledgeable about it all. Thanks!

Check out some of Randy Newbergs YouTube videos. He has a series on e scouting that will help on how to find elk.

OP
D
Thanks I’ve actually watched a lot of those and your right he has a lot of good info.

ericF

WKR
Get a membership to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and you will get a subscription to Bugle Magazine. It doesn't have a lot of how to type articles, but it is still good reading and something new every month or two.

OP
D
I actually joined the RMEF a couple of a weeks ago. Haven’t received the magazine yet but when it gets here I will check it out forsure. Thanks!

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
Join Elk101. And go through the entire course it will teach you about elk and elk hunting . It’s a excellent course and will cut your learning curve in half and help you be way more prepared and successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
“Bowhunting modern elk” by Patrick Meitin
“Diyhunting.com” Jim Deeming

The latter is a great resource for the first timer and a great refresher for the seasoned hunter. His map scouting chapter will improve your early days in the field substantially.

Swede

WKR
There are fun to read books relating to elk hunting. There are "how to" book available, and there is Jack Ward Thomas' book "Elk of North America Ecology and Management" . Jack Ward Thomas' book is not a "how to" guide for hunters and it is not a fun read. It is a college text and resource for professional biologists dealing with elk management. I have the book and it is great resource for impressing my elk hunting friends I am a cornucopia of useless information when it comes to knowing elk.

Bsniesse

FNG
I agree with Chucklehead
Jack Ward Thomas
North American Elk: Ecology and Management
Extremely thorough. Helps to have a background in biology for this book.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
Contents of Book: Elk of North America Ecology and Management

Forward, Preface, Dedication, Acknowledgements, List of Tables, List of Figures,. Chapters: 1. Classification and Distribution, 2. Elk and Indians: Historical Values and Perspectives, 3. Physiology, 4. Diseases and Parasites, 5. Adaptive Behavioral Strategies, 6. Population Characteristics, 7. Migration, 8. Nutritional Requirements and Food Habits, 9 Habitat Requirements and Evaluations 10. Relationships of Elk and Other Large Herbivores 11. Elk and Land Management 12. Refuges and Elk Management 13. Recreational Use of Elk 14. Regulated Elk Population and Hunter Harvests 15. The Future of Elk Hunting. Appendix A Alphabetical List of Plants Cited in the Text . Appendix B Alphabetical List of Animals Cited in the Text. References. Index. 697 pages total

Contents of Book: Elk of North America Ecology and Management

Forward, Preface, Dedication, Acknowledgements, List of Tables, List of Figures,. Chapters: 1. Classification and Distribution, 2. Elk and Indians: Historical Values and Perspectives, 3. Physiology, 4. Diseases and Parasites, 5. Adaptive Behavioral Strategies, 6. Population Characteristics, 7. Migration, 8. Nutritional Requirements and Food Habits, 9 Habitat Requirements and Evaluations 10. Relationships of Elk and Other Large Herbivores 11. Elk and Land Management 12. Refuges and Elk Management 13. Recreational Use of Elk 14. Regulated Elk Population and Hunter Harvests 15. The Future of Elk Hunting. Appendix A Alphabetical List of Plants Cited in the Text . Appendix B Alphabetical List of Animals Cited in the Text. References. Index. 697 pages total

That is not how my volume reads. I believe mine is the 2002 edition. on the dust jacket it claims it has 85% new material compared to the 1982 original print.
C.1 Taxonomy C.2 Distribution: Past and Present C.3 Elk and Indians: Then Again C.4 Physical and Physiological Adaptations C.5 Nutrition and Food C.6 Diseases and Parasites C.7 Adaptive Behavioral Strategies C.8 Elk Interactions with Other Ungulates C.9 Population Characteristics C.10 Migration C.11 Elk Ecosystem Management C.12 Elk Habitat Selection and Evaluation C.13 Elk and Land Management C.14 Refuges and Elk Management C.15 Supplemental Feeding and Farming of Elk C.16 Hunting Red Deer and Elk: Old and New Worlds C.17 Recreational Use of Elk C.18 Regulating the Hunt C.19 The Future of Elk and Elk Management and Appendix A and B
Its about 850 Pages of content with refrences and index 962 pages total.

Swede

WKR
Chucklehead, thanks for the update. I did not know there was a new edition. I found my book had some good information for understanding elk, but am not sure how it would help a first time elk hunter from Kentucky. When I worked for the Forest Service, it was helpful to have read portions of it in planning projects. Anyway we have laid out what is in it and the customer can decide for themselves if they want one.
The book reminds me of commentaries on the Bible. When you get to the part you have a question on, the author skips over that point.
Anyway thanks

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I’m in Kentucky too. We got plenty of hills but that elevation out west sucks. Can’t stress enough how much intense cardio helps out. Good luck it sounds like you’ve got some good advice on here. Elknut, Randy Newburg, Kifarucast, Elk101, Gritty all have good info. YouTube is your friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukejb

FNG
Elk Talk, Elk Tactics and The Elk Hunter are all three written by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel. When I was looking for elk books last year these three kept coming up. I read Elk Talk before the season last year and highly recommend it. I plan to read the other two before the season this year.

I forgot to add Cam Hanes book “Backcountry Bowhunting.” It was also very helpful for me before my first elk season last year. It’s pretty steep on Amazon, but you can buy it directly from his website much cheaper.

Last edited: