Elk Hunting In Wyoming?

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, put in minimal effort and use the Google machine. There’s a whole industry dedicated to selling this and forums full of this information without having it spoon fed to you.
Just trying to discuss said activity that we all enjoy ‘round the campfire 🔥

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
That’s awesome - can anyone else on here share any insight on what their hunting experience was like in Wyoming ? No units lmao
I can give you the short version of my only WY elk experience, a general archery DIY hunt in 2020. We did a lot of research, called biologists in the areas we wanted to hunt, did all the e-scouting we could, picked a some likely looking country and had a great hunt. In elk everyday, but none of my group ever loosed an arrow. Don’t overthink it, get your points, pick a spot and go have a great time in a few years.

Wow, I must have really struck a nerve. Not sure what the problem is, but like I said, to each their own. And yeah, me and two buddies backpacked into the Selway 12-15 miles and had to hump that S.O.B elk out after we killed it. We left camp with well over 100lb packs each at 2:30 pm in the afternoon and never reached the truck until 5 am the next day. Then we still had to go back in the next day for our gear. So yeah, you are right. It means more to that me we weren't packed in or out on horses with a guide. Geesh.
You did strike a nerve. Don’t like folks hinting around about guided hunts being easier or somehow not as “elite” or worthy as DIY.

It was your choice to go that deep, and you should’ve considered the pack out that was ahead of you before pulling the trigger 12 or 15 miles back. I’m sure you’ll say you’d do it again in a heartbeat and I would say the same about our hunt. Trust me, being mounted on a horse in a pack train on a ledge less than a foot wide for hundreds of yards with certain death below you if one of the horses got twitchy is no picknick either.

I commend the effort to recover the animal and glad the bears didn’t get in the way. Congrats on the kill.

Jaquomo

WKR
Hunt experience - on my last general archery hunt I scouted a new area suggested by a friend who is also a WY resident. Big roadless basin with a few old closed roads and one trailhead. He said it barely gets hunted.

I scouted in the summer (I live 8 miles from the WY border) and found all sorts of elk. I was stoked. Then came the season. I was overrun with hunters. Had to get a parking spot way before light to hike in, and there were a dozen people backpacked in at the trailhead.

The USFS Regional Supervisor stopped by my camp and we hit it off. He told me he was really pissed because a new, young female biologist was sending everyone who asked, right there. That was his and his son's "secret" spot for more than 20 years.

To top it off, by about day 5 most of the elk on one side of the basin had been pushed into a wilderness area where us NRs are forbidden to hunt. But I could stand on the unmarked boundary and listen to them going nuts.

Then I found two big bulls in a spot where I thought I could kill one the next morning. I texted the packer I had lined up, only to learn he had gone to Nebraska for a job and wasn't around. No way I could have gotten the meat out of that hole by myself, on my back (I'm 68, have been bowhunting elk for 50 years this season, so I know what it takes).

I passed up a couple shots but did not kill a bull. Made some new friends.

Last edited:

Amos1693

FNG
As a non resident how do i identify or find a map showing public hunting area vs wilderness area. Going DIY

As a non resident how do i identify or find a map showing public hunting area vs wilderness area. Going DIY
Once you start narrowing things down a little you’ll learn more. Onx maps is great for adding layers to your map. I turn on unit borders. You need to know what area you’re hunting in right? Once you’re zoomed in enough to see those you’ll see borders of different national forest districts, any state lands, BLM, private land….and wilderness. Onx Maps puts diagonal lines across designated wilderness areas.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick question for all the rokslide pros here. Does anyone do ANY research about hunting out of state before they ask the SAME ridiculous questions like "where is wilderness" "what is a good unit" etc??
Nice that comment was very helpful

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I can handle all of that. Most of those guys are just clueless about how valuable a good elk hunting area is and how fast it can get ruined.

But the one that gets me is: “I got lucky and drew a good tag in an area I know nothing about. Any help would be appreciated” You moron! You got lucky and have this license and after zero effort up to now you want to post your first thread and luck into a killer place to use it. I feel like a hunter saying that had no business even applying for the tag.

The dudes who just got a general or otc license just haven’t had their reality check yet. The fact is you better start spending every night online doing everything you can to pick your hunting area. Once you do that you’re still only halfway there. No shortcuts in elk hunting. Hard work is the only way.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
If the cost of special tags goes up in 2024. The bloodbath of points will start. A general gains a point to a point and a half a year. A special gains a point and a half a year.

Buying points will eventually lead to an elk tag maybe. Maybe not.

The random odds suck, unless it is a private land and then they still suck.

If you want to hunt elk in the West regularly you will be buying landowner tags and hunting private land.

Zero points will lead to zero elk, you are too far behind the powercurve.

If the cost of special tags goes up in 2024. The bloodbath of points will start. A general gains a point to a point and a half a year. A special gains a point and a half a year.

Buying points will eventually lead to an elk tag maybe. Maybe not.

The random odds suck, unless it is a private land and then they still suck.

If you want to hunt elk in the West regularly you will be buying landowner tags and hunting private land.

Zero points will lead to zero elk, you are too far behind the powercurve.
Storms shall come and they shall pass. Every guy that burns his points is one less to think about. A “bloodbath of points” one year means less competition the next. A lifelong elk hunter doesn’t think short term. He stays positive. When the clouds are hanging a little low he doesn’t go on the internet proclaiming that the sky is falling.

I have zero points this year. Why? Because I drew last year. I had zero points last year when I drew for the same reason. And same thing 8 years in a row before that. I’ll draw in the Regular this year too. Why? Because elk hunters are persistent planners. So while some guys are ready to lower the life boats and jump ship I’m thinking about how nice the ship will be when they’re all paddling to shore. Everything goes through cycles.