Elk Hunting In Wyoming?

FlyGuy

WKR
Thinking of trying to hunt Elk in Wyoming at some point in the future as a Non resident. I know the 90-10 rule hasn’t touched this species just yet - sounds like it could, but whatever that’s beside the point at this moment. I’m just wondering about units that might be worth looking into if I accrue a handful of points in the coming years . Thank ya much

Bro,

If you haven’t noticed by now, no one is ever going to give you an answer to this question. You might as well have walking into a fancy cocktail party and asked all the women what color panties they were wearing! You are asking for personal and private information that is not to be shared on an open forum.

To flip it around. Imagine that you worked your ass off for months researching and digital scouting WY units to narrow it down to 2-3. Then maybe you even took some PTO and made a couple long weekend scouting trips up there to one or two of them to put boots on the ground. Then you finally drew a tag, worked your ass off, and after 5-6 days of grinding you got into some elk. You didn’t punch your tag but you know exactly where you are going the very next time you draw in WY…. Then some random guy who just joined the forum yesterday shows up and says, “I’m just too lazy to put in any effort, since you guys already know where the elk are can’t you just tell me where I should go?”

How do you think you would answer that guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RMM

WKR
Bro,

If you haven’t noticed by now, no one is ever going to give you an answer to this question. You might as well have walking into a fancy cocktail party and asked all the women what color panties they were wearing! You are asking for personal and private information that is not to be shared on an open forum.

To flip it around. Imagine that you worked your ass off for months researching and digital scouting WY units to narrow it down to 2-3. Then maybe you even took some PTO and made a couple long weekend scouting trips up there to one or two of them to put boots on the ground. Then you finally drew a tag, worked your ass off, and after 5-6 days of grinding you got into some elk. You didn’t punch your tag but you know exactly where you are going the very next time you draw in WY…. Then some random guy who just joined the forum yesterday shows up and says, “I’m just too lazy to put in any effort, since you guys already know where the elk are can’t you just tell me where I should go?”

Not only that, but imagine putting all that work in and having someone else post that unit on a forum where a simple google search brings it up.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Bro,

you're not wrong

Coming from another newbie to the forum, there seems to be a lot of great folks with great advice on here. I honestly could care less about getting spots from folks compared to the reviews on gear, tactics, how to pack, and just general knowledge. Its been almost 20 years since my last trip out west, and I'm having an absolute blast planning for it, just like I did the first couple of times I went. To me, whether I'm Elk hunting, or musky fishing a lake for the first time, the planning and research is the most fun of the whole trip. I don't have anything against folks who get guides, but to me it would be cheating. I love figuring stuff out on my own through map/gear sessions with friends at a planned cookout with some beers. Embrace the homework, and have fun with it. If you put in the time, it will pay off. and you will be 10x more proud of yourself than if you got handed some intel or hired a guide. I've been on lots of fishing trips to tough lakes where I got skunked on musky. But, you learn from it and hit it hard the next time and will probably have success. My very first Elk trip was in 1999 before all the internet stuff was out there. We ordered maps, talked to biologists, read books/magazines and had the absolute time of our lives. We ended up killing a nice 6x8 on a grueling backpack hunt. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but was also the greatest. Good luck in you planning! Enjoy the process and have some map sessions with some beer and steaks with friends!

Beckjhong

WKR
Bro,

Oh man. Can we copy/paste this into all the similar threads popping up right now? Pin it somewhere?

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t know at the time what I was asking was the equivalent of asking female what type of panties she is wearing, but I would of been better off just asking for y’all’s advice or tips on hunting Wyoming - things I should look out for , your experiences etc

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I didn’t know at the time what I was asking was the equivalent of asking female what type of panties she is wearing, but I would of been better off just asking for y’all’s advice or tips on hunting Wyoming - things I should look out for , your experiences etc

Exactly. Now, You are forgiven!

But in all seriousness, it might take you quite a while to draw a tag in WY. Im going back after 5 years of blanking, a general tag took me 4 points. Who knows what it will look like next year. But, you have plenty of time to learn. I wish I lived as close as you! I’m way down in TX so scouting trips just aren’t in the cards.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider

But in all seriousness, it might take you quite a while to draw a tag in WY. Im going back after 5 years of blanking, a general tag took me 4 points. Who knows what it will look like next year. But, you have plenty of time to learn. I wish I lived as close as you! I’m way down in TX so scouting trips just aren’t in the cards.

Yeah that’s a long way brother

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider

Have you ever had problems with grizzlies when you went up there FlyGuy?

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve only been a couple of times but we were no where close to Yellowstone. Lots of country with no Gbears (yet).

I don't have anything against folks who get guides, but to me it would be cheating. I love figuring stuff out on my own through map/gear sessions with friends at a planned cookout with some beers. Embrace the homework, and have fun with it. If you put in the time, it will pay off. and you will be 10x more proud of yourself than if you got handed some intel or hired a guide.
Welcome to the site. Guided hunts on public are not equal to cheating or easy my friend.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only been a couple of times but we were no where close to Yellowstone. Lots of country with no Gbears (yet).

That’s awesome - can anyone else on here share any insight on what their hunting experience was like in Wyoming ? No units lmao

Last edited:
As I said, To ME it would be cheating for myself. I don't have anything against or think anything less of folks who get guides. To each there own. But for me, its way more gratifying doing it on my own.
If you put in the time, it will pay off. and you will be 10x more proud of yourself than if you got handed some intel or hired a guide.
Based on this statement I’m not so sure you’re being honest. You’re literally telling people they’d be 10x more proud if they did it your way. You’re entitled to your opinion no doubt, but don’t try to mask your real feelings by patronizing others.

I’d put the guys, including the guides and outfitter, and hunt that my brother and I packed 18 miles into the Bob against anybody for level of effort and difficulty. We had leaky wall tents and a camp cook for creature comforts for sure, but we still rode out, hiked, glassed, side-hilled, and busted our a$$e$ like other good folks on this site. Only one guy on our 7 day hunt even had an opportunity at an elk, and I was extremely blessed to have gotten the shot. However, I was no better than any other hunter in our camp.

Based on this statement I’m not so sure you’re being honest. You’re literally telling people they’d be 10x more proud if they did it your way. You’re entitled to your opinion no doubt, but don’t try to mask your real feelings by patronizing others.

I’d put the guys, including the guides and outfitter, and hunt that my brother and I packed 18 miles into the Bob against anybody for level of effort and difficulty. We had leaky wall tents and a camp cook for creature comforts for sure, but we still rode out, hiked, glassed, side-hilled, and busted our a$$e$ like other good folks on this site. Only one guy on our 7 day hunt even had an opportunity at an elk, and I was extremely blessed to have gotten the shot. However, I was no better than any other hunter in our camp.
Wow, I must have really struck a nerve. Not sure what the problem is, but like I said, to each their own. And yeah, me and two buddies backpacked into the Selway 12-15 miles and had to hump that S.O.B elk out after we killed it. We left camp with well over 100lb packs each at 2:30 pm in the afternoon and never reached the truck until 5 am the next day. Then we still had to go back in the next day for our gear. So yeah, you are right. It means more to that me we weren't packed in or out on horses with a guide. Geesh.

wapitibob

WKR
I hunt Elk every year in WY.

The only full price licenses held to the 7250 cap are those issued in the first draw.

Today, the Commission approved a motion to remove the 7250 cap and direct the dept to draft regulation; with no idea how or what, regions and region quotas would look like. Elk Regions were the reason for removing that cap.

NR are getting railroaded