Elk Hunting Arrow Set Up

I personally think these all would be slightly underspined. I would run the 250 spine arrow with row two of components. 272-275fps at a little over 520 grains. Will blow through anything in north America,
Good advice....I am actually going to try out my current set up (i.e. row 1) and drop down to a 100 grain head which should yield roughly the same front weight (slightly less at 200 vs 210).

Thanks

Good advice....I am actually going to try out my current set up (i.e. row 1) and drop down to a 100 grain head which should yield roughly the same front weight (slightly less at 200 vs 210).

Thanks
that would work. what draw length and lbs are you getting these weights and speeds with?? i would keep the 4 fletch. too much only creates a parachute effect at 70yds plus, which isn't needed for elk

White Krylon spray paint weighs less than a wrap and one can will last you forever. I use Flex Fletch FFS-212 vanes in a 4 fletch. They weigh 3.9gr each so four of them weigh less than 3 fletch blazers.

My arrow setup is Easton ACC 3-71 cut 29.25" with standard insert, g-nock bushing, g-nock, 4 flex fletch FFS-212 vanes, and 125gr iron will solid blade. It has been awhile I don't recall exactly but I think the FOC is 11%. It weighs 455gr and goes 270fps from my bow. Plenty for everything in north America.

I screw on a 100gr RazorTrick to a Goldtip XT Hunter and go hunt. Works for my bow. I think they weigh in under 400gr. No inserts or anything special...

I know a lot of guys get hung up on heavy setups, but a broadhead that functions properly and that you can shoot accurately is the real key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I run 4 fletch with a wrap. I also run lighted nocks. I’m going to ditch all that and go back to a good 3 fletch with a good helical. I noticed I was getting too much steering from the back of the arrow
How can you tell if there is too much steering from the back of the arrow?

RIP TKO is a great shaft. I like speeds between 270-280, with the heaviest arrow that will get me in that speed range. I’m similar to you, 505 grain arrow gets me about 275. Great balance between trajectory, tuneability for great broadhead flight, and great penetration. Your last option gets there, but I would echo what others have said and go with the standard iron will over the wide. Penetration is key on an elk, and you will get better penetration with a smaller cutting diameter.
Any other head that uses tool quality steel is good too… VPA, Valkyrie blood eagle, Tuffhead evolution. Etc. Personally I avoid heads with an aluminum ferrule and gravitate towards 1 piece tool steel heads.

Back