Elk hind quarter butchering

rbljack

WKR
Thought id add what works for me. That eye or round is the pinker looking muscle, and as others have said, i think its kinda tough. The big rounded muscle sometimes called the football roast is a good one for the crock pot or stew meat. The upper/ top round I usually keep as another roast. The bottom round is a bit more squared off and will have some silver skin to remove, but I typically clean it up and keep it as a roast, or make jerky or stew meat of out that one. Another tip is this...i don't cut up my roasts into stew meat; instead I save the time and package them whole and cube them up when they come out of the freezer. Same for backstraps....cut them into chunks that you want and steak them up when your ready to prep them. Saves time when im trying to get all the meat processed up. Im no expert by any means....just been doing them myself like you and try to learn a bit more about it every year. Im still on the fence whether or not I should by the chamber vac or not for packaging, or stick to saran wrap and freezer paper.

Catchfish

WKR
I must be the one guy who like the eye of round cut into steaks. I’m cutting up moose though instead of elk.

Tod osier

WKR
I must be the one guy who like the eye of round cut into steaks. I’m cutting up moose though instead of elk.
We eat them as steaks/roasts too, usually sous vide whole and sear, then cut to serve. Back in the days before I knew the proper name, we used to label them "not loins" in the freezer. Hard to transition away from saying that.