Elk down, now what?

LitenFast

WKR
I have an idea, but wanted to see how others handle this. Here is my idea so far, I am sure it will change as I hear more.

I am planning on just packing the coolers full of block ice before we get to the trailhead in hopes of there being some left should we return with meat. Should we connect, the two of us would stop hunting, debone and pack out the meat asap. Here is where I would like as much input as possible.
Is that how you'd approach the cooler situation, block ice, dry ice, etc?
Do you head to town ASAP or keep hunting for the other guys tag?
Do you get it butchered or DIY once you get home? I am thinking DIY

I would gladly take any related advice and tips!

Also, if it is something you'd like to mount, how about head/hide care till it gets home?

I am heading to CO from Wisco, so about a 24hr drive.

Thanks!

for me it would depend on how much time you have and it doesn't sound like distance is your friend. in this case if one of you put's one down early, you may consider some space at a local butchers shop or similar if early in the hunt. both get it packed to the truck with one guy going to town and one of you getting back into the elkwoods asap and hopefully whoever goes to town will be packing another elk out upon his return.

Lawnboi

WKR
No experience elk hunting yet, as this will be my first year. But I have been to the mountains where ill be hunting a number of times.

One thing to keep in mind. Your hunting CO. In CO where ill be hunting the parking lot there is up at 10,000 feet. It gets mighty cold up there at night even in September. Something to keep in mind when your thinking about ice lasting in a cooler.

Ironman8

WKR
No experience with elk yet either...but I do have experience with ice :D

If I can keep ice cold for 3+ days in Texas, then you should should be able to keep it much easier at 10k in CO

ETA: I also butcher everything myself...that way nobody touches your meat but you :p

littlebuf

Banned
if you want to bring ice bring dry ice, it will last longer. I don't but then again I live in the same state I hunt in so once a animal is down im packing back to the truck and heading home where I butcher it myself. if your traveling multiple states you may want to consider setting something up with a local butcher and taking the meat home wrapped up and done, less worry of trapped heat in the meat that way.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with trophyhill, it would be a good idea to find and look into where the closest butcher shop is to where you will be hunting, even if its a ways away its better than spoiled meat. Usually they will hang it for pretty cheap. You may even have them cut,wrap, and freeze if its early on and hangs long enough before you go. I hunted with a group of 6 guys from WI in an elk camp years ago and they had rented a refridgerated trailer for their drive home, all 6 got their elk and some of them got bucks, so that baby was loaded!!! I don't know where you would rent one or the cost but that might be worth looking into?

mplane72

FNG
If we get one down the standard practice is to get it down to the butcher to be cut wrapped and frozen asap. Everyone of us are Iowa whitetail hunters that handle every bit of processing our own deer but when we're out west for elk we're there to hunt. The logistics of cutting up and packaging an elk in camp don't work for us. Plus, at some point before we load up to make the drive home we want the steaks cut, all the grinding done and that meat frozen. Taking an elk to the butcher is not like the mess at a midwest processor in our experience.

whitingja

WKR
I am bringing 3 blocks of ice. But I also am putting 20 lbs of dry ice wrapped in paper bags, then wrapped in cold bags(the silver ones). This will last for a week...easy. Make sure the dry ice is at the bottom of the cooler.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
I freeze milk jugs with water, and use them in my coolers. Keep the coolers in the pickup (I have a topper) covered with a old sleeping bag while in the woods. It will keep ice for a long time. Plus you don't have a lot of water sloshing around the cooler when you drop in the quarters.

As far as getting the meet out - depends on the temps. If I can find a cool spot to hang quarters where the temps will not get above 50 degrees during the day and it gets chilly at night, then there isn't as big of a rush.

If its cool, then the happy hunter can take his time getting everything to the truck and into town. if its warm, everyone can pitch in get it to the truck, then the one with a filled tag can take it into town.

Locations of camp, truck and kill site drive the logistics details, but if its a clean shot/kill. the hunter can have everything quartered and hanging before returning to camp and getting help.

phantom16

FNG
Call now and determine the nearest wild game processing shop, check their prices (yes, you're at their mercy during elk season), and, confirm their hours. Ask if they can be contacted for boned out meat drop off after duty hours and/or on the weekends. Also, ask how long they will take to process your elk. If you get your elk on day 5 of a 7 day hunt, you'll obviously want to pick up your packaged elk before you leave for home so a 3 day processing time won't work. The block ice in your coolers upon your arrival to the trailhead isn't a bad idea but even with good coolers, it may only last 5 or 6 days. Get your meat boned out and transported to said meat processor where they will cut it, package it, and freeze it hard. Once you pick it up, put it in your two large coolers and it'll be fine till you get home. Two 120 quart coolers will hold an elk.