Elk Camp - Ice House

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
From Northern MN and expect to be hunting in MT this October. We have a main camp that we can use but we are looking to take the SxS higher up the mountain and spend the night a couple times so we can get up higher earlier. I don’t think I can justify a wall tent to the wife and I don’t think that’s really what we want for this experience…thinking something we could take up and take down more easily. I was wondering if anyone had tried using their ice tent as a camping tent. Maybe with a buddy heater? I’m thinking condensation could be a problem possibly? I tried searching the site but couldn’t find a thread like this. If it’s out there and someone knows about it, could you just send me the link? Thanks in advance.

How are those with rain?

We camped next to a site that did just this…Buddy heater and all. We never actually saw the guy camping but he has his tent completely open the morning after some rain and left it like that unattended all day. My assumption was that particular ice fishing tent wasn’t designed to handle rain all his stuff got soaked.

OP
Packer9037

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
How are those with rain?

We camped next to a site that did just this…Buddy heater and all. We never actually saw the guy camping but he has his tent completely open the morning after some rain and left it like that unattended all day. My assumption was that particular ice fishing tent wasn’t designed to handle rain all his stuff got soaked.
Good call…would probably need to tarp it over to ensure it stayed dry.

Djacker

WKR
I've used my Eskimo fatfish 9416i for a hunting tent the last 3 seasons, it works great. Condensation hasn't an issue with an insulated shack. I usually put a tarp over the top, if it's going to rain or snow. I also use a big buddy heater. I always use a battery operated carbon monoxide detector. The shack has been in 60mph winds a blizzard and a thunderstorm, no problems yet. I will send you a DM too.

Last edited:
OP
Packer9037

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my Eskimo fatfish 9416i for a hunting tent the last 3 seasons, it works great. Condensation hasn't an issue with an insulated shack. I usually put a tarp over the top, if it's going to rain or snow. I also use a big buddy heater. I always use a battery operated carbon monoxide detector. The shack has been in 60mph winds a blizzard and a thunderstorm, no problems yet. I will send you a DM too.
Awesome, thanks! Always trust a fellow MN!

JMF

Lil-Rokslider

I've got the same icehouse and have been thinking about doing the same thing for a late season hunt in Montana. I've had it in some pretty ugly conditions ice fishing with no problems if the sides are staked out. There are a few videos online of guys putting wood stoves in them and was going to give it a try, it looks easy enough to replace one of the plastic windows with a welding blanket stove jack. I would use the wood stove along with a big buddy heater, the wood stove for quick dry heat to dry things out and the buddy heater to stay warm all night.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Djacker. A large hub ice shack is my replacement for a wall tent. After spending time in both, I definitely prefer the ice tent. Faster setup/take down, better wind resistance, better insulation, no condensation, more windows, much cheaper.

A stove can be vented out a window if the heating source is wood.

The only downside is that the height is usually less, but still enough for standing.

I set it on a tarp and roll up the tarp in the snow flap to seal in the floor. I also add a tarp to the top if there's significant rain forecasted.

OP
Packer9037

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Djacker. A large hub ice shack is my replacement for a wall tent. After spending time in both, I definitely prefer the ice tent. Faster setup/take down, better wind resistance, better insulation, no condensation, more windows, much cheaper.

A stove can be vented out a window if the heating source is wood.

The only downside is that the height is usually less, but still enough for standing.

I set it on a tarp and roll up the tarp in the snow flap to seal in the floor. I also add a tarp to the top if there's significant rain forecasted.
Did you use anything to support the tarp and let the rain roll off? couple ridge poles of some kind?

SteveinMN

FNG
I've used our pop up ice shack for hunting/camping a few times. MN rifle deer it's awesome, because it's usually cold it works amazing. Used it once in the UP in MI and we got 7" of HEAVY snow. The roof collapsed a few times over the course of the night, not awesome...not even a little. I'd say give it a shot, but have a tarp for rain/snow deflection and you'll be a happy camper.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Did you use anything to support the tarp and let the rain roll off? couple ridge poles of some kind?
I use bungee cords. Hook into the grommet on the tarp, loop under a hub bolt and back up to another grommet.

In heavy snow, just set a pole inside to support the ceiling hub. It takes a lot of snow to collapse the ceiling (7-12" of wet, heavy snow). That much snow will cause problems with wall tents too though.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
The roof is domed and the material will deflect moisture, but with heavy rain it'll come in on the seams. Just need to tarp as barrier, it doesn't need any additional sloping.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I use bungee cords. Hook into the grommet on the tarp, loop under a hub bolt and back up to another grommet.

In heavy snow, just set a pole inside to support the ceiling hub. It takes a lot of snow to collapse the ceiling (7-12" of wet, heavy snow). That much snow will cause problems with wall tents too though.
I do similar with my tent. A tarp is way more slick than shelter material. Makes it much easier for snow to slide off. (And better teardown experience if you pull up camp after snow storm)

Lytro

WKR
I've seen a lot of NR hunters use them out here during archery season. I'd just spray the hell out of the exterior and all the seams with a water repellant. A tarp is good insurance though if you can stand the sound of it blowing in the wind. My biggest concern would be the ability to stake it down well enough if the winds get heavy.

I used mine last year during archery season. It worked great. Mine is big enough to fit one cot plus any gear I need. I’ve seen plenty of people in eastern montana during rifle season. Also they are way cheaper than a wall tent. Lots of places have them on clearance this time of year. I bought mine online from Reed’s.

Jimbuck

FNG
I’ve been using one for base camp the past few years on solo trips. I believe it’s the Otter Resort. It’s a great setup. I haven’t had to deal with rain so can’t speak for that but I’d imagine a tarp would be fine.

DanimalW

WKR
I’ve been using one for base camp the past few years on solo trips. I believe it’s the Otter Resort. It’s a great setup. I haven’t had to deal with rain so can’t speak for that but I’d imagine a tarp would be fine.
The newer Eskimo and otter ones look like the roofs are not stitched all the way through like the older ones. Almost like the top material is laminated to the quilted part to be more water resistant. I plan to use mine on a solo hunt eventually here. Figured if there was a downpour, I’d throw a tarp over my shit inside and sleep in the truck. Can’t see how they couldn’t handle wind in a semi sheltered location when they’re designed for use on wide open lakes.

I've used mine for late season mule deer, works great for 2 guys, Big Buddy, some cots and a carpet remnant makes for a comfortable set up. Rain would be my only concern but looks like thats been covered.