Elk broadhead

What broadhead is everyone going to the elk woods with ?

I’m thinking g5 Montec 100gr. I like the toughness and being able to resharpen them.

jonboy

FNG
I’ve never thought they were that sharp compared to Thunderheads or Magnus. I really like Grim Reaper Hades also.

Montecs typically don't do that well in toughness tests. Same for slick tricks.

Exodus is a very good, tough, effective head at a reasonable price.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
I been using 150 Maasai since 2016. They stopped making them in 150 and if I had to purchase new ones, it would be the 125's

TheHammer

WKR
These are the two I’ve ran.. both seem pretty durable and very accurate. However the helix is not that sharp, requires a bit of antten to get sharp, on the other hand the iron wills are high maintenance to keep from rusting. But out of the box the iron wills are very sharp, even after a couple shots through the targets (have to have 2 targets in line as they blow through everything I’ve tried past 30yds) they maintain their edge, could still shave with them afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 68

WBrim

WKR
I’m planning on annihilators.
So many people talk about the exodus head, I want to look at those, just for some comparison maybe.

Geewhiz

WKR
What broadhead is everyone going to the elk woods with ?

I’m thinking g5 Montec 100gr. I like the toughness and being able to resharpen them.
Ive killed a handful of elk with a 125 montec. They kill just as good as anything if you make a good shot.

Simple, tough, easy to sharpen.

edit: I've since changed my mind.

Last edited:

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Montecs typically don't do that well in toughness tests. Same for slick tricks.

Exodus is a very good, tough, effective head at a reasonable price.
The blades on the exodus are so sharp that I have cut myself more times that I want to admit. I started using scissors to get them out of the package .

The blades on the exodus are so sharp that I have cut myself more times that I want to admit. I started using scissors to get them out of the package .

you can get them dramatically sharper using something like the staysharp guide and some super fine sandpaper. I had a shop tech cut himself on one of mine after it went through some deer ribs and buried into the ground 12" or so.

Lytro

WKR
I used Montecs for about 10 years and killed a lot of deer with them. From my experience, the tips broke off of them on nearly every use. I always assumed it was from hitting something in the ground after the pass through though. Nonfactor in my opinion because I could care less what happens after if it makes a clean kill. I just wouldn't say they're durable.

nphunter

WKR
G5 Dead Meat for me, I've killed my last 3 bulls with one and won't be switching any time soon. Previously I used a plethora of fixed heads which all worked also, I really like the holes the Dead Meats leave and their durability. I've had 3 different brands of fixed heads get trashed from killing elk, all three Dead Meats I've killed elk with can be used again and 2 of them you can't tell have been shot, 1 has a small chip missing off the end of 1 blade.