Electronic hearing protection brands

TSAMP

WKR
I've got some axil electronic plugs on the way, they're rated at 29 DB reduction which seemed higher than most other options. Hopefully they work better than my walker in ears did.

Just looked at those ottos, they have awesome specs. That'll be my next try if the axils are lacking.
How did you like the axil? Doing some shopping around myself and those and the 3M mentioned are on my short list.

How did you like the axil? Doing some shopping around myself and those and the 3M mentioned are on my short list.
they're a bit tricky to get into my ears and seated well. once they are though, they work well. definitely a big improvement over the walker's they replaced. USB-C charging is also a big improvment over micro usb

TSAMP

WKR
they're a bit tricky to get into my ears and seated well. once they are though, they work well. definitely a big improvement over the walker's they replaced. USB-C charging is also a big improvment over micro usb
Do you notice noise from the cord rubbing on your hat/shirt collar amplified through the ear bud? I have that issue with some I use for running. My use will be bird hunting mostly, I like the cord so it'll be harder to lose a bud but don't want that constant noise as I walk.

TSAMP

WKR
Thanks for the feedback Researchinstuff
They are 35% off right now if anybodies curious. With a 3 year extended warranty that puts the blue tooth extreme model at $150.

One more thing to add - these have 2 purposes for me, bird hunting, and for my young sons when I take them to the range. I like that they have some really skinny plug options included in the kit, haven't tried them on the kids yet but I'm quite confident they will work well.

dgkula

FNG
I bought a pair of these ten years ago. Best money spent. I hunt upland & shoot clays. When I shoot my .308 win rifle I put muffs over them.

fwafwow

WKR
I also went with Sordin - the Supreme Pro-X. I looked into in ear but I decided over the ear would provide more protection. I also got the separate gel packs that permit me to wear eye pro without breaking the seal.

Shraggs

WKR
I just tried the walker rope model with 29 db reduction. Wanted an option I can leave in and where hats and hoods in cold hunting. 80 bucks, small and light weight.

Got to I like them very much - for hunting. The ambient active sound amplification is ok , it works with some light background hiss. But can here everything. Took a couple of shots and that worked very well!

lintond

WKR
Wondering if you guys have any opinions on electronic hearing protection? I'm looking at a brand called Tetra. With Tetra, you can buy specific to your kind of hunting (like Upland or Waterfowl or Elk), or you can get some that are really expensive, but cover big game/small game, etc.

Anyway, I shot at a bird a couple days ago and the shot rang my bell pretty good, left ear got all muffled and weird, been ringing since. Assuming it will clear up, from some research i understand this is called "temporary threshold shift" but starting to think it's time i bite the bullet and spend the $1000+ and buy a pair. Some HOA's will cover (I don't have one, but that may be a possibility for some). I've had ringing in the ears for years, you'd think that would have been enough to get me to buy them, but some of us are slow learners!

After several instances of my ears ringing either duck hunting or rifle hunting I decided it was time to invest in electronic in ear pro. I spent the coin on the Tetra and have been very happy. I use them for waterfowl, upland, and some big game. Pretty cool how they can adjust for various different hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwiftShot

WKR
Walker Ear Buds. I purchased replacement ear caps as the ones it came with seemed to hard. Wear them all the time.

The Decibullz seem very interesting. Molded and allows for normal hearing without a battery. Something to look at.

timstl

FNG
The Decibullz seem very interesting. Molded and allows for normal hearing without a battery. Something to look at.
I had a set of the custom molded Decibullz. Worked well for the low cost, and creating the molds yourself was fairly easy. The one issue I had was telling the left from right quickly (wish they were different colors), but you could solve that by marking them somehow yourself. Unfortunately, they only made it 1 turkey season and are now lying in a field somewhere. I'll probably pick up another set.

I had the electronic Walker Razors before that, and also tried the Axil GS Extreme. The Walkers were fine, but I found it more annoying to talk to people than I did with the Decibullz. The Axils got returned because I didn't like how they wrap around your ears.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I have the esp’s
I forgot to take the batteries out of them in between early teal and regular duck season snd they wound up corroding .
Factory repaired … but never been back to normal since .

Going to get through this early season then I think I’m going to break out the funds and get a new set

Can’t decide if I want to go back with ESP vs Giving the Tetras a whirl

dgkula

FNG
I have the esp’s
I forgot to take the batteries out of them in between early teal and regular duck season snd they wound up corroding .
Factory repaired … but never been back to normal since .

Going to get through this early season then I think I’m going to break out the funds and get a new set

Can’t decide if I want to go back with ESP vs Giving the Tetras a whirl
Looking at the Tetra web site the cheapest pair are $1149. I'm using the ESP analog which retail for $900. That's a decent difference if you dont need custom hearing aid tuning which I think requires the more advanced models. I've had my ESPs for 10+ years and they are one of the best things I've bought for upland hunting & clays. If they died I would get a pair of the ESP analogs to replace them in a heartbeat.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Disclosure: I have really bad hearing, about 90%+ loss in both ears from multiple issues.

I tried the Tetra molded version. Absolutely not good for me. In any way. The sound distortion was really bad. I could not hear my wife on the opposite side of the table, less than four feet away. TV was awful. Outside, yes I could hear 'natural' sounds but any voice was distorted and there was feedback/shrill tones at times, totally not usable for me. I did not bother going to the range to shoot with them as the normal hearing configurations were wholly unsatisfactory so there was no point to shoot with them, I would rather remove my hearing aid and use standard ear muff protection.

I will say the first time I called, I got a live person and was very pleased with the conversation that I ordered a set. The config was done using the six presets I was suggested to use and paired with my ENT's test results.

Trying to return them was a nightmare. Approximately ten calendar days until someone finally returned my call, this after several emails and call attempts in which I left messages. Once I finally got a call back, I was urged to 'give them a chance' to tweak the config. Ok, I bit.

The second config was unbelievably worse than the first. The six presets I had in the initial setup? Gone. Back to a basic config. Sound quality? I knew within a minute it was worse. And it was, I took a walk around outside and tried to have a conversation. I was shocked at how poorly they were tweaked as it was not even the configuration I had paid for and the quality was abysmal.

Now began the next return attempt, again taking multiple calls and emails to be told by that Dr. Bill would call shortly and that they wanted to work it out. I replied with a firm 'no thanks, I just want to do an RMA'. I was then told to use the online RMA process. Ok, did it... not any confirmation that the submit 'took', no email, no onscreen popup, nothing. I mailed the set back the next day with $58 insurance ($2,299 price tag). USPS drop-off was Friday, the following Monday they signed for receipt. So 15 days goes by and I email asking about the return and refund status. Finally get an email and was told 'Oh, my mistake, I never put your refund amount in so it didn't take'. The refund did appear in my PayPal record within minutes.

So, buyer beware. I will state that in my particular hearing status and circumstances, the Tetra's were not the right choice for me. The customer service and availability of staff was horrendous. They are apparently out of the office for days/weeks at a time but no voice email telling a customer that or any info on the website etc. I was very disappointed. Your experience may vary to the better and I hope it works for you if you have or would try out their product. It advertises well, but again, it was not workable for my situation.