Electronic hearing protection brands

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if you guys have any opinions on electronic hearing protection? I'm looking at a brand called Tetra. With Tetra, you can buy specific to your kind of hunting (like Upland or Waterfowl or Elk), or you can get some that are really expensive, but cover big game/small game, etc.

Anyway, I shot at a bird a couple days ago and the shot rang my bell pretty good, left ear got all muffled and weird, been ringing since. Assuming it will clear up, from some research i understand this is called "temporary threshold shift" but starting to think it's time i bite the bullet and spend the $1000+ and buy a pair. Some HOA's will cover (I don't have one, but that may be a possibility for some). I've had ringing in the ears for years, you'd think that would have been enough to get me to buy them, but some of us are slow learners!

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Following. I use electronic Walker’s at the range but they’re too bulky for hunting in. Curious what others are using.

-RadDad

Dalton138

FNG
Wondering if you guys have any opinions on electronic hearing protection? I'm looking at a brand called Tetra. With Tetra, you can buy specific to your kind of hunting (like Upland or Waterfowl or Elk), or you can get some that are really expensive, but cover big game/small game, etc.

Anyway, I shot at a bird a couple days ago and the shot rang my bell pretty good, left ear got all muffled and weird, been ringing since. Assuming it will clear up, from some research i understand this is called "temporary threshold shift" but starting to think it's time i bite the bullet and spend the $1000+ and buy a pair. Some HOA's will cover (I don't have one, but that may be a possibility for some). I've had ringing in the ears for years, you'd think that would have been enough to get me to buy them, but some of us are slow learners!
I havent tried them, but I have heard really good things about Grizzly Ears Bluetooth earbuds. They are definitely low profile.

wyosteve

WKR
I've tried several. Otto Noizebarriers came with good reviews, but did not fit my ear canals well. I just got a set of Ear Pros or Pro Ears (can't remember which). which also have good reviews. I have some Howard Leights that actually have worked the best so far, but they are over the head style.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use Peltor 3M Lep-200's for both PRS comps and hunting.

Had them for 2 full seasons now, and used them in some pretty bad conditions. Water can cause them to scream a bit if they get very wet, but haven't seen any permanent damage from exposure to heavy rain. They always go back to normal operation when dried out.

They aren't the most comfortable, and if you touch the wrong spot when changing volume they'll scream a bit.

The Peltor's are tough and do the job though. I had some Walker Razor's before these and they fell apart after moderate use, and got destroyed by just a bit of water. Won't buy walkwr's again.

Last edited:
I have both walker electronic muffs and the electronic buds. I use the buds more often for bird hunting so it doesn’t interfere with my aim. I can still hear pheasants flush and ducks wings whistling by. The only downfall is on windy days the wind noise can be loud. My ears no longer ring after a day in the blind.

That's the right path to go. There is another similar company called ESP. I finally broke down and got a set of custom fitted digital pair. The company was at SHOT Show. They performed the hearing test, did the moulds and tailored 1 of the 4 settings/programs to my specific hearing loss. I bought several cheaper electronic ear pro that was absolutely useless in the wind. The digital platform filters out almost all the wind noise and does not cut out on loud noise; meaning if you are having a conversation at the range one at match the conversation is not choppy. I've had mine going on 6 years and have never regretted spending the $$. I usually forget I have them in and drive home from a match with them still in. Hunting is great as you can turn up the volume and hear sounds I could never hear before as well as filtering out the wind. Good luck with your decision.

Flyrodr

FNG
Do they offer any in-ear options? Only saw muffs (look nice btw) on their site so just curious if they also offer earbuds.

-RadDad
Sorry, didn't realize you were looking for plugs. Don't think Sordin has those. I mostly use the muffs, as I generally find them more comfortable, although they do cause problems when it's really cold and I'm trying to stay warm. I'm not that familiar with the various ear plugs brands to recommend one. A friend likes these, but I haven't tried them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...veASIN=B00WIXL4UM&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, didn't realize you were looking for plugs. Don't think Sordin has those. I mostly use the muffs, as I generally find them more comfortable, although they do cause problems when it's really cold and I'm trying to stay warm. I'm not that familiar with the various ear plugs brands to recommend one. A friend likes these, but I haven't tried them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...veASIN=B00WIXL4UM&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20
No sweat. I think OP May have been willing to entertain muffs but I was just curious if they had any in-ear options. I’ll do some research on the Amazon ones you sent.

- RadDad

I use Peltor 3M Lep-200's for both PRS comps and hunting.

Had them for 2 full seasons now, and used them in some pretty bad conditions. Water can cause them to scream a bit if they get very wet, but haven't seen any permanent damage from exposure to heavy rain. They always go back to normal operation when dried out.

They aren't the most comfortable, and if you touch the wrong spot when changing volume they'll scream a bit.

The Peltor's are tough and do the job though. I had some Walker Razor's before these and they fell apart after moderate use, and got destroyed by just a bit of water. Won't buy walkwr's again.
Yep, I use the EEP-100 version and they work great.

Comfort depends a lot on which tips you use; the silicone ones are the most comfortable but the least effective, the smaller foam ones fit fine and block plenty of sound for field use, while the big honking mega-foam ones are less comfortable but isolate well enough for range use next to muzzle brakes. Nice to have options.

Given their performance, simplicity and toughness, I would personally find it difficult to justify spending 3-10X as much on the Tetra products that the OP mentioned. The battery life on the EEP-100s is excellent, too.

I use sordin pro muffs for the range and Otto Noizebarriers in ear for hunting.

I've got some axil electronic plugs on the way, they're rated at 29 DB reduction which seemed higher than most other options. Hopefully they work better than my walker in ears did.

Just looked at those ottos, they have awesome specs. That'll be my next try if the axils are lacking.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I broke down this fall and bought some Soundgear Phantom's (1400$), but I shoot a lot with pheasants and waterfowl, I've been extremely happy with them. They take a bit to get used to, but I have no problem telling location on a flush and I can hear pretty much like normal. In the past the electronic hearing protection I hated because I couldn't get decent depth perception but with these it hasn't been a problem. I'm going to trial them deer and turkey hunting and see if I can get away with that as well, my goal is to get to no gunshots without protection in.

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of thr Axil buds (currently think they have a sale for buy one/get one free). I bought them a few years back and sent them back cuz they just didn't work like I wanted, however I wanted to try them again with the 2.0 version. I have been very pleased with them outdoors, I put them in before I shot at both of my elk this year, I use them at the range, and have used them for hours at work. The only problem I had at work was the electronics I work near, gave off a buzz that was annoying in the ear bud while on enhancement. But that wasn't their intended purpose, so not really something I can knock it for. In the hills there used to be some wind noise, but with the wind screens on there it has seemed to be nonexistent to worry about. Only other "problem" is while they are in enhance mode, you hear every little noise you make! I'm anxious to try them out on a duck hunt tho and I think I will love them more!
For the money, (bought on a buy one get one sale and split sone with my dad) they have been awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Blooze

FNG
I have a pair of thr Axil buds (currently think they have a sale for buy one/get one free). I bought them a few years back and sent them back cuz they just didn't work like I wanted, however I wanted to try them again with the 2.0 version. I have been very pleased with them outdoors, I put them in before I shot at both of my elk this year, I use them at the range, and have used them for hours at work. The only problem I had at work was the electronics I work near, gave off a buzz that was annoying in the ear bud while on enhancement. But that wasn't their intended purpose, so not really something I can knock it for. In the hills there used to be some wind noise, but with the wind screens on there it has seemed to be nonexistent to worry about. Only other "problem" is while they are in enhance mode, you hear every little noise you make! I'm anxious to try them out on a duck hunt tho and I think I will love them more!
For the money, (bought on a buy one get one sale and split sone with my dad) they have been awesome and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

Fulltilt, do you think they would work well with a braked 6.5CM? I’m gonna be using my X-bolt with a Hawg brake mainly in a ground blind. I’ve been looking at those or the Decibullz percussives.

Yep, I use the EEP-100 version and they work great.

Comfort depends a lot on which tips you use; the silicone ones are the most comfortable but the least effective, the smaller foam ones fit fine and block plenty of sound for field use, while the big honking mega-foam ones are less comfortable but isolate well enough for range use next to muzzle brakes. Nice to have options.

Given their performance, simplicity and toughness, I would personally find it difficult to justify spending 3-10X as much on the Tetra products that the OP mentioned. The battery life on the EEP-100s is excellent, too.
^^^THIS^^^

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
Fulltilt, do you think they would work well with a braked 6.5CM? I’m gonna be using my X-bolt with a Hawg brake mainly in a ground blind. I’ve been looking at those or the Decibullz percussives.
100% they would work with that, I use them with my braked 300 win mag and it just sounds like a .22 going off. I did notice a bit of difference in the tips and founs for best results i needed the foam tips and not the silicone ones tho! So if you try them, make sure you experiment some!
I ordered a suppressor last year in hopes to have used it this year, but I'm still waiting on the ATF...so I figured it would be my next best option. I am pretty excited for the suppressor to eventually get here tho!