Electrolyte replacement

Does anyone use any electrolyte powders to their water while hunting? What brand and why? Where do you purchase them from?

Hydrade and Recover by Wilderness Athlete is really good. You would have to order it online. I also like Hammer Heed, which you can find at REI or bike shops. You could also just use Emergin-C, which you can find at any grocery or drug store.

Sure, but I don't get fancy.
I just use simple Gatorate G2 packets to kill the taste that my clorine water purification drops add.
I also like to use the Kool-aid sugar'ed single serve packs (for energy) and a little salted jerky now & then helps.
Hunt'nFish

blb078

WKR
Walmart has Powerade in a little squeeze bottle, about 2-3oz, you just add it to water like you would a powder. One bottle will last about a week or so depending on how often you actually use it.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
NUUN tablets and emergen-c at the end of the day and in the morning. Straight water and clif shots during the day.

I run Shaklee Performance Products. They are all tested and approved by WADA and USADA (world and US anti-doping agencies) so for Olympic drug tests they use NO BANNED substances.

They also have a full line other products. But they're not individually packaged.

When I hunt I take WA products because they are single serving packets

2rocky

WKR
I run Shaklee Performance Products. They are all tested and approved by WADA and USADA (world and US anti-doping agencies) so for Olympic drug tests they use NO BANNED substances.

They also have a full line other products. But they're not individually packaged.

When I hunt I take WA products because they are single serving packets

EPO or GTFO!

Heh, Heh!

Most electrolyte mixes like Gatorade are high in Sugar, which is fine with me since it tastes good, and serves to keep my energy up during the day. I try to avoid drink mixes with artificial sweetener since it has a tendency to give me runners trots.

If your body is truly electrolyte depleted you would be hard pressed to drink a solution to remedy it that didn't taste like Seawater. More often we drink water and dilute the electrolyte pool. Ever gotten puffy fingers? That is the case then.

the Chart in this article is laminated in my pack for when the Wheels come off.

I can honestly say that the drink mixes are for Taste, and sugar for me, primarily.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hammer Heed

No surgar, so no syrupy taste or texture in your mouth

Promotes oral hygiene which is nice on a long trip, almost feels like mouth wash after you swish it in your mouth a couple times

Contains all complex carbs to give you a few good calories rather than just pumping surgar into your body.

Taste sweet, but not over powering like gatoraid sometimes can if your drinking it every day.

InDeep

WKR
GU brew is good stuff. 3 plenish is really good stuff from complete nutrition. Also spark from advocare

Look at your overall electrolyte consumption. Foods like freeze dried meals, jerkey, nuts and the like, have plenty of sodium. Some freeze dried meals have north of 2,000 mg sodium, especially if you eat the whole pack. Example:Mountian House Chili Mac with beef: 780 mg sodium per serving, a pack is 2.5 servings. If you eat this, you should be set and then some for the day.

Cramping, if this is an issue, may be coming from lack of conditioning, an from a lack of electrolytes. Just something to think about.

dholla

Lil-Rokslider
After trying so many products I could never stomach anything under exercise stress. This year the team I was on was sponsored by OSMO Nutrition, this stuff genuinely works and tastes fantastic. I can never go back to anything else and using plain water for anything over an hr training ride doesn't feel the same. They have awesome youtube videos on there site explaining the science in dummy terms.

boom

WKR
After trying so many products I could never stomach anything under exercise stress. This year the team I was on was sponsored by OSMO Nutrition, this stuff genuinely works and tastes fantastic. I can never go back to anything else and using plain water for anything over an hr training ride doesn't feel the same. They have awesome youtube videos on there site explaining the science in dummy terms.

interesting. gender specific hydration.

i use Wilderness Athlete. if anything it is more cost effective than grabbing fistfuls of anything at REI.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can honestly say that the WA Hydrate and Recover works for me. Either that or it's all in my head. But either way I feel better, so I'll keep using it on hunts.:)

As a nutritionalist, in all reality, if you intake enough sodium and potassium, and calcium and fluids (you easily get enough from foods such as Mountain House meals) you really don't need to be concerned with not getting enough electrolytes during your backpacking trip and having to use other sources to get those electrolytes. The only benefit to those "electrolyte replacers" is because they taste better than iodine or filtration drops. Great easy ways to get the calcium is dry milk that you can put in your oatmeal in the morning etc. Its super light weight and doesn't expire (as long as it doesn't get too wet).