DIY Electrolyte Mix?

I just use the WHO simple ORS recipe. I work in my warehouse, which averages about 100 degrees and 70%+ humidity all summer. Works a peach and is dirt cheap.

1 liter water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

diy3.gif

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Zero strawberry taste and not a hint of sweetness.
I used the raspberry flavoring from above and it has no taste or color in the water. I ended up using the entire bag for 100 servings and it's still colorless and tasteless in the mix. I definitely need some kind of decent flavoring that's not lemon-lime. All the other stuff in the mix without flavoring makes me want to puke. Of course even the flavored LMNT makes me want to puke. Maybe I should just add my new mix to my coffee twice a day. :unsure:

I also added vitamin C powder, glucosamine, and L-glutamine to my mix. Maybe Tang would add enough flavor to it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anyone making your own electrolyte mix? (Lmnt, tailwind, liquid IV, drip drop…) the ingredient lists are pretty simple and it seems like you can buy pretty much all of the raw ingredients online.

I was thinking about doing:
Salt (any difference between himalayan vs sea vs iodized?)
potassium chloride
magnesium (malate, oxide, citrate?)
sugar
either citric acid or powdered lime

Here’s LMNT’s and Tailwind’s ingredient list for reference:
View attachment 745986
View attachment 745987

Anyone tried it?
The trend with these drinks seems to be to see who can put salt the other company. The liquid IV stuff is fairly pleasant to drink, somebody gave me a box of the LMNT and holy crap it like drinking salt water, apparently there are some that have even more salt/sodium in them.

The trend with these drinks seems to be to see who can put salt the other company. The liquid IV stuff is fairly pleasant to drink, somebody gave me a box of the LMNT and holy crap it like drinking salt water, apparently there are some that have even more salt/sodium in them.
Yeah it’s pretty salty. I think I’m going to cut the sodium in half. I used a LMNT packet for a whole liter and it was about right.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, I only put 250mg of salt in each serving of the stuff I made. And during elk hunts I'll normally use 3-4 servings a day. The LMNT IS saltwater.

OP
Ferrulewax
I think it’s going to be heavily dependent on your activity level and how/how much you drink. I do a bottle of mix I sip on to supplement my water intake. If all of your intake is mix then less sodium is probably preferable. I would only do like 1 bottle of LMNT a day most likely.