Electrical Tape on muzzle?

I'm pretty much a novice on gun hunting out west. Ive bookef a moose hunt in western Alberta this year & have questions about taping the muzzle on my 300 Win Mag. Is it really necessary? Does it effect the point of impact? Is just electrical tape the best to keep moisture out of the barrel?

Thanks in advance!

I use it. I think it is inexpensive insurance to prevent getting any debris in your muzzle if you take a spill and the muzzle goes into the snow or mud. Your hunt would be over if that happened and you didn't have any way to clear the barrel. It will not affect anything when the trigger is pulled. The bullet will never touch the tape because the air pressure in front of the bullet pushes the tape out of the way as it is going down the barrel.
I use black vinyl electrical tape. I cut two pieces about 6 inches long, and run one over the muzzle from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, and the other piece from 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I then cut a longer piece and wrap it around the muzzle covering the ends of the other pieces. I tried using the barrel cots but they just weren't durable. They would get torn off when moving through brush.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I insisted on my clients taping their muzzles. One strip across and then a couple three wraps around so if they shoot there is tape already on the barrel to reapply to the end.

Didn't use them as much for "moisture" but more for if you fall or push the muzzle into anything. I can remember a couple times a client refused to tape the barrel fell in heavy wet snow or into mud and plugged the barrel up 3-4". Luckily for them I carried 4 sections of .22 cal cleaning rod in my pack and a jag on one end. punch out the debris then used a piece of game bag as a patch.

hikenhunt

WKR
I always cover my barrel with electrical tape. Doesn't effect my POI. I thought I read that the air in the barrel actually punches the hole before the bullet even gets there, which seems to make sense.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I tape my muzzle break as well. MDT has a YouTube video on it. They used electrical tape on muzzles breaks and there was no change. I think the furthest they shot was around 700 if I remember correctly.

I Also use a cut off rubber glove finger. I don’t run any tape over the end, just a rubber band around the barrel to hold the glove finger on. The nitrile gloves seem to be tougher than latex. I carry a few extra fingers and rubber bands in my pack.

Pro953

WKR
I just buy a box of cheap finger cots (elf condoms) for like 5.00 on Amazon. They stay on and do not leave tape residue. Plus they weigh nothing so I keep a dozen in my bino pack and easy to throw another one on after the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Witt Manufacturing Break on my 30-06. Does anyone have a recommendation on a cover that works well?
Not familiar with that particular one. I have a brake on my rifle, and use tape on it. Just put a strip or two across the muzzle to cover the hole, then wrap tape around it to cover the slots, holes, etc. It will disappear when you shoot the rifle, and will not affect anything.